• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

RIP Clarence Clemons

The boo birds are out in full force. Two negative reps for my responses on this thread. All from someone who doesn't even have the post count to give negative rep.

I apologize for not knowing this dude.

some of you are willfully admitting your own stupidity. and not only that, but you are proud of it, and becoming defensive like a chick when called out on it.

bravo.

I'm 35 and never heard of him. Definitely heard the Bruce Christmas song about 46718239 times. Still don't know Clarence from a hole in the wall.

Also, Clarence didn't even make the list of "Famous Saxophone Players" by the foremost saxophone player authority: saxophone-players.com. Everyone this beautifully designed site is the pantheon of saxophone player fame. His omission from the list further proves it's normal to have no idea who he is.

• Coleman Hawkins - Born 21st Nov 1904 - Died 19th May 1969.
  • 'Cannonball' Adderley - Born 15th Sept 1928 - Died 8th Aug 1975
  • Stan 'Getz' - Born 2nd Feb 1927 - Died 6th June 1991. More...
  • Paul 'Desmond' - Born 25th Nov 1924 Died - 30th May 1977
  • 'Plas' Johnson - Born July 21st 1931 - Still here! More...
  • Michael Brecker - Born 29 March 1949 - Died 13th Jan 2007
  • Charlie Parker - Born 19 August 1920 - Died 12th March 1955
  • Grover Washington Jr - Born 12th Dec 1943 - Died 17th Dec 1999
  • 'Boots' Randolph - Born 3rd June 1927 - Died 3rd July 2007
  • Sonny Rollins - Born 7th Sept 1930 - Still here!
  • 'King Curtis' Born 7th Feb 1934 - Died 13th Aug 1971
  • John Coltrane - Born 23rd Sept 1926 - Died 17 July 1967
  • Lester Young - Born 27th Aug 1909 - Died 15th Mar 1959
  • Ornette Coleman - Born 9th March 1930 - Still here!

Clarence, get better for us buddy, the world need more saxophone.

actually, the world needs zero saxophone. what an abortion of an instrument.

some of you are willfully admitting your own stupidity. and not only that, but you are proud of it, and becoming defensive like a chick when called out on it.

bravo.

+1. This thread is truly a sad reflection of America.

bravo.

+1. This thread is truly a sad reflection of America.

I think you two need to rethink your metrics for what constitutes a sad reflection on America.

Not really. As mentioned before, this is a clear indication that the American spirit is no more. Combined with the other thread whereby the under-26 crowd all seem to know who the Rapture dude is, it is extremely sad.

I'm 25, I know who he is, I've seen him play live with Bruce. Great show, great sax player. Hope he gets better, but damn, I didn't know he was 69.

But it is funny how people are surprised that others have never heard of him. There are not many bands from 30-50 years ago that I expect people to have heard of (Beatles, Stones, Zepplin, Elvis, etc to name a few). I dont put Bruce Springsteen's sax player on that list.

I think you two need to rethink your metrics for what constitutes a sad reflection on America.

in addition to learning a little bit about music, i think you need to learn reading comprehension.

i never mentioned metrics for what constitutes a sad reflection on america. i made a comment (an accurate one) that some of you (you are included in this list) are reveling in your own ignorance.

in addition to learning a little bit about music, i think you need to learn reading comprehension.

i never mentioned metrics for what constitutes a sad reflection on america. i made a comment (an accurate one) that some of you (you are included in this list) are reveling in your own ignorance.

Accurate. That's a pretty sweeping worldview. :laugh:

Off the top of your head. Do you know who Albert A. Michelson is? What about Paul Dirac?

I'm going to continue reveling in my own ignorance, because in reality, this guy just isn't as important or famous as you are making him out to be.

Not really. As mentioned before, this is a clear indication that the American spirit is no more. Combined with the other thread whereby the under-26 crowd all seem to know who the Rapture dude is, it is extremely sad.

YES REALLY. As already stated, you can be familiar with Bruce's music without knowing who his SAXOPHONE player is.

Accurate. That's a pretty sweeping worldview. :laugh:

Off the top of your head. Do you know who Albert A. Michelson is? What about Paul Dirac?

I'm going to continue reveling in my own ignorance, because in reality, this guy just isn't as important or famous as you are making him out to be.

no, but once i used the google machine and read the results, i could no longer say that

you admitted that even after reading the google results you still haven't heard of him. so maybe it's a reading comprehension problem instead of ignorance.

i can't believe i'm involved in this. i don't like bruce and i detest the sax.

no, but once i used the google machine and read the results, i could no longer say that

you admitted that even after reading the google results you still haven't heard of him. so maybe it's a reading comprehension problem instead of ignorance.

Yes and upon reading his Wikipedia entry, it become apparent why I have never heard of him. As referenced early in this thread, the only possible encounter I could have had with this dude is by some obscure reference in a christmas song. I don't listen to any of the bands in which he has played and I don't watch any of the shows which he has starred in.

I can't believe you people are making such a big deal about this guy.

Take a look at his extensive awards page. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0166317/awards. Sure is deserving of his reputation among you guys.

I don't really have the time at work to write out a proper response, but the reactions seem a bit strong to me from people who can't believe others don't know Clarence by name or his music. As a session musician or a part of an ensemble, unless you have a successful solo career, its hard ti gain name recognition for yourself. I kinda hope some of my favorite horn stars aren't easily forgotten, but I understand how they could be. Hell, take the far more well known Marsalis family, and poll the Pit to see how many recognize their work, and you're not likely to get total recognition. Doesn't diminish their efforts or make a sad commentary on society, it just is what it is.

I don't really have the time at work to write out a proper response, but the reactions seem a bit strong to me from people who can't believe others don't know Clarence by name or his music. As a session musician or a part of an ensemble, unless you have a successful solo career, its hard ti gain name recognition for yourself. I kinda hope some of my favorite horn stars aren't easily forgotten, but I understand how they could be. Hell, take the far more well known Marsalis family, and poll the Pit to see how many recognize their work, and you're not likely to get total recognition. Doesn't diminish their efforts or make a sad commentary on society, it just is what it is.

Exactly. I'm sure this guy is a good saxophonist, but he really hasn't set himself up to be well known.

Back