• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

RIP Riley LaRue

More fundamentally, a member of the small WF community has suffered an unthinkable loss. It should be irrelevant to us how that loss occurred. It is a time for mourning and compassion. The family should have the freedom to tell us what they want to tell us and when. Friends should be content with that.

More fundamentally, a member of the small WF community has suffered an unthinkable loss. It should be irrelevant to us how that loss occurred. It is a time for mourning and compassion. The family should have the freedom to tell us what they want to tell us and when. Friends should be content with that.

Yeah, this is the internet.

Exactly.

FWIW, the Richmond paper reported that Hanover County sheriff's deputies responded to the crash at 8:30am, Saturday morning. So, it wasn't like it was 2:00am Saturday morning when nothing good ever happens on the roads, and no mention at all they were involved in any kind of chase. That certainly would have been reported. And I can also tell you it was very foggy here Saturday morning, which was very odd, as it hasn't been foggy since last spring it seems. The UCI bike race championships started here that morning, and I remember thinking how unfortunate the races were starting with that fog cover. It burned off by 9:30 or so, but in the early morning it was pretty poor visibility. Just a horrible horrible thing...

Probably enough piling on sd3. Hopefully lesson learned.

glad the rumor wasn't true. That family is experiencing enough anguish as is.

I've been off the grid the last couple days and just saw this. How terrible. Thoughts and prayers for the Larue family.

Oh my goodness I just realized I taught the girlfriend.
I just saw a FB post that she was tagged in.
I remember seeing him at graduation but obviously I didn't know who he was.
This sucks much much more now, if that were possible.

Last edited:

For as much crap as we give Dan sometimes, I thought that this was really well done. Kudos to him on this one. Very succinct in helping us remember a happier time in the LaRues' lives. I think that this really points to the family atmosphere at Wake which we are all a part of. We celebrate together, like the team did in the article, and we grieve together. I think you'd be hard pressed to find many communities in major college athletics like this (where everything is personal on some level) and, while it's only a silver lining in an unthinkable tragedy, it highlights how important this community is to us.

Last edited:
Does anyone know why he wasn't enrolled at Cape Fear this semester? I had thought he may have gone there to either get grades up or improve skills so as to have a shot at UNCW's roster. I know John Justice's son played there and there have been some Wake connections to UNCW going back to when Wainwright was the coach, IIRC.

Does anyone know why he wasn't enrolled at Cape Fear this semester? I had thought he may have gone there to either get grades up or improve skills so as to have a shot at UNCW's roster. I know John Justice's son played there and there have been some Wake connections to UNCW going back to when Wainwright was the coach, IIRC.

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/pr...cle_f15c6177-1e38-5063-a7bf-169a521c78e5.html

He attended Cape Fear Community College and was a member of the basketball team for the 2014-15 season, but he was being redshirted. Muse said LaRue had decided not to play competitively anymore and was taking a year off from school to plan for the future.

Just heard the news. My condolences to the LaRue family. Losing a child at such a young age is one of the hardest things for parents to go through. My prayers for strength for them as they live with this tragedy.

He was taking a little time off to figure out what he wanted to do in life. Grades weren't an issue- he was effortlessly brilliant. He was accepted to some pretty prestigious schools, but CFCC offered him an opportunity to hoop and improve his skills (I know he had offers from Lees-McRae and some other small schools) and maybe transfer to a small D1 school later. He had plenty of preferred walk-on offers, but he wasn't interested in them.

I know folks say this kind of stuff all of the time after someone passes, but Riley was one of the best kids I've ever met. He had a good soul.

Back