• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roanoke VA Reporter & Cameraman Shot Dead on Live TV

the countries without guns or with strict gun control compared to the usa is staggering in terms of gun homicides. personally I like what switzerland does, you can own a gun but illegal to own ammo, to shoot the gun must be at a sanctioned range

I'm guessing Switzerland doesn't have timber rattlers or water moccasins on folks' properties.

I'm no economist, but can't price floors serve to create incentive for black market trading? That doesn't sound like a positive alternative.

Yeah, and picture yourself being poor living in rural WV. Why should a poor WV dude have to shell out a few thousand to own a rifle so he hunt?

i think his point is that starting the discussion of gun control "what would've stopped today's random act of violence? if you don't have a reasonable answer other than 'ban everything, then why do anything at all"? is incredibly unproductive.

I assume you are saying my question was unproductive? I asked the question because Obama used this incident to bring up "common sense changes to gun control" and, as far as I know, he has never proposed a change that would have stopped this incident. So, why bring it up now?

After Sandy Hook it made sense to talk about banning assault rifles since that was what was used.
After a passion killing where someone goes out and buys a gun on short notice it makes sense to talk about waiting periods.
After someone with a long history of mental illness or violence obtains a gun and kills someone it makes sense to talk about background checks.
After a felon or someone with a long history of mental illness or violence buys a gun at a gun show and kills someone with it, it makes sense to talk about closing the gun show loophole.
I guess in this case it would only make sense to talk about a complete ban, or a complete ban on handguns, or setting up so many hoops to jump through as to make it an effective ban - because those are the only things that would have prevented this terrible incident. And I haven't really seen those types of changes seriously discussed.

Well, he mentions the Australia law. DC was just forced to repeal its handgun ban, so it's not like restrictions haven't been attempted or even implemented with huge public support in certain areas. Australia groups guns into categories - for handguns:

To be eligible for a Category H firearm, a target shooter must serve a probationary period of 6 months using club handguns, after which they may apply for a permit. A minimum number of matches yearly to retain each category of handgun and be a paid-up member of an approved pistol club.

So in this specific case, where a guy ordered a gun just to murder people in retaliation for something recent, I'm guessing having to jump through hoops like belonging to a target club and applying after 6 months, participate in matches with other target shooters, etc - then yeah, I'd say there's a good chance that if this kind of law was in place a few years ago then by now he'd have to go to extraordinary measures to acquire something like a pistol filled with hollow points.

Wow. That would be outstanding if we could implement here.

You are a complete ass but I will respond anyway. Unless I missed it - I don't think he was suggesting exorbitant taxes on guns - at least he didn't spell it out that way. He said that assault rifles are hugely expensive on the black market over there but I assume that is because they are illegal and therefore very difficult to obtain. Low supply means high prices. Are you telling me that the prices are high because of exorbitant taxes - or are you just making shit up?

Jesus dude. He said make the super expensive. He used the example that over there, because it is nearly impossible to get a gun, the black market prices are exorbitant, it further cuts down on the people that can get them, even if they want them illegally.

You dont think that simultaneously extending the waiting periods and taxing the bejesus out of guns would slow demand?

The pricing thing doesn't work. Australia has this thing figured out, guys. There are plenty of opportunities for Aussie gun nuts to shoot guns, and all the ranchers have the guns they need to shoot dingoes and crocs and whatnot. It's a pretty easy model to follow. It also has the advantages of (1) not being European and (2) nobody ever accused the Aussies of being pussies, and those are always critical when you're trying to get Americans to go along with something.

This is a common refrain - a law suggested wouldn't specifically and immediately prevent incident X, so why do anything? And if it would have, the other argument is that criminals will circumvent it or crazed people will find a way.

But that's not what happens when you institute gun controls. What's been proven is that over time the controls are tweaked, corrected, and the culture of guns and fear of defense is reduced. Shootings go down. Incidents such as these are greatly reduced. When they don't happen, it's usually not because a single rule in some single gun law prevented it the day it was initiated.

This is a common refrain - a law suggested wouldn't specifically and immediately prevent incident X, so why do anything? And if it would have, the other argument is that criminals will circumvent it or crazed people will find a way.

But that's not what happens when you institute gun controls. What's been proven is that over time the controls are tweaked, corrected, and the culture of guns and fear of defense is reduced. Shootings go down. Incidents such as these are greatly reduced. When they don't happen, it's usually not because a single rule in some single gun law prevented it the day it was initiated.

I don't know if this is directed at me, but, I never said "why do anything". And I wouldn't because that is not my position.

Yeah. How is it that this has been glossed over in roughly 5 posts? Anyone else read the manifesto? This was clearly racially motivated.

Nope. Ph said it was workplace violence(TM). No need to get into any more troublesome facts.

Yeah. How is it that this has been glossed over in roughly 5 posts? Anyone else read the manifesto? This was clearly racially motivated.

Nope. Ph said it was workplace violence(TM). No need to get into any more troublesome facts.

It was clearly racially motivated. Haven't seen anyone say otherwise now that we know what we know.

haha prb not but a shovel with take care of them

Yes. For those folks who are braver than I am. One of my friends is from rural, western SC, and her parents live on a lake, and they have copperheads, rattlers and moccasins out there. While her dad uses a shovel, that would not be good enough for me. I'm not getting that close. If I lived there, damn right I'd have a shotgun. Probably 1 in every other room. Yes, I fear poisonous snakes. Especially moccasins - those bastards are mean and aggressive. Yet another great thing about living in this part of VA - no moccasins or rattlers, just occasional copperheads.

Back