• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Romney Picks Paul Ryan as VP

I think what Ryan gives Romney is some resolution. Love or hate Paul's proposals they are grounded and he sticks by them. In some ways he is the Anti-Romney. He put out the Ryan plan and it got blasted by some within his own party, yet he stood by it. I think Ryan is very smart, very articulate, and would do a great job as VP. Probably my favorite politician at the moment. If we had more politicians like Ryan on the left and the right we would be much better off as a country.

Interesting choice and I believe a mixed bag. More than anything else, I think this is a move to placate the base of the party. The base believes Romney is a closet moderate, and evangelicals weren't thrilled about the whole Mor(m)on thing. So fundamentally, this is a move that will generate more excitement at the convention and for the campaign in general among the base. Anyone tempted to stay home in November will be less tempted now.

OTOH, the whole idea of privatizing Medicare and issuing vouchers for insurance is a scary proposition. Don't get me wrong. I think we need to have a frank discussion about Social Security and Medicare in this country. Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid are about 63% of our budget. (Add in military and debt payments, and you have 80% of our federal budget.) And I keep hearing that Medicare as it currently exists will no longer be feasible in another decade or so, and the same for Social Security a decade or so after that. Social Security is easier - you can keep kicking the can down the road by moving the eligible age back. Medicare and Medicaid are much harder because medical costs are out of control. But I don't think our politicians or populace are mature enough to face that discussion in a rational manner at this time. And color me cynical, but I'm suspicious that many a senior will not be able to afford the cost of insurance if they have to purchase it on their own. And color me even more cynical, but I'm guessing that if you live in Florida you might just be viewing an ad or 2 targeted at seniors about their Medicare being cut off.

So while this move will certainly energize the base, I'm guessing this is exactly who the Obama administration wanted to run against. Not that they were afraid of Rubio, TPaw, Jindal or Portman. But now the message is even more clear - we may not be doing great, but Romney and Ryan are downright scary. The 1st rule in picking a veep is do no harm. And while I know Romney felt like he had to mollify the base, I think he may have violated rule #1.

I think what Ryan gives Romney is some resolution. Love or hate Paul's proposals they are grounded and he sticks by them. In some ways he is the Anti-Romney. He put out the Ryan plan and it got blasted by some within his own party, yet he stood by it. I think Ryan is very smart, very articulate, and would do a great job as VP. Probably my favorite politician at the moment. If we had more politicians like Ryan on the left and the right we would be much better off as a country.

I agree with a lot of this post. Ryan and I do not see eye-to-eye, but at this point he carries himself as a Statesman in a time where America needs more Statesmen. McCain was a Statesman. The campaign soured some of that, so we will see if Ryan's character is revealed.

Ultimately, VP candidates do not win or lose elections, and Romney will need to form some policy of his own to stand behind.

This a good pick, but it probably means Ryan will never be POTUS. If he knows that, and I suspect he is smart enough to, then I admire him all the more.

Obama had no experience other than community organizing and voting present for a few months. The proof is in the pudding:

5.3 Trillion in new debt.
Actual 15 percent unemployment

Nothing but personal attacks from his campaign as he can't run on his record. No hope and it's time for change.....

I agree a mixed bag. One thing we knew for sure. RJ will declare the election over for Obama and ncsportsnut will declare the election over for Romney.

Oh Jesus. Big gaffe by Romney right there.

Romney said "Next President" when introducing Ryan.

OOPS

Maybe Romney really just wants to be VP, and he doesn't have any friends?

Mitt's not standing next to you right now, Paul. He's behind you.

One thing that Ryan can be attacked on is that he was a fiscal moderate until the day that Obama became president. Voted for every stimulus vote to save the economy when it was W's neck on the line.

Honestly, McDonnell gave the best speech out of the three of them. Love that guy. He'll play a big role in the GOP in the coming years.

Back