• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roy Williams hates his walk-ons and America

i wonder if he will find a way to compare this to the 2-year annv. of the Haiti earthquake

I hear it was hot in Tallahassee today. Perhaps Roy just wanted to get the AC going on the bus so the walk-ons could be comfortable on the trip back to Chapel Hill.

lmao @ Roy protecting the valuable assets.

one of the strangest moments i've ever seen.

Roy is a fraud. I don't know why people fall for the Ol' Roy routine.

Not to defend Roy but some of our fans had been there since 730am and don't forget they serve beer in the Tuck!

Well, after watching the video I would say it was not nearly as bad as it sounds.

Well, after watching the video I would say it was not nearly as bad as it sounds.

really? i think it looks worse than i originally thought. i thought they quietly left the floor during play but they stopped play, shook everyone's hand and said peace out to the walkons.

what is going on through those walk-on's heads? i'd be pissed

ETA that i also agree with everyone who says it doesn't matter that Leonard told him to leave, you respectively decline and say you'll stay on with your team. at the very least send off your scholly players and you stay on the floor with the rest of the team. you are the head frickin' coach, grow a set

Last edited:
really? i think it looks worse than i originally thought. i thought they quietly left the floor during play but they stopped play, shook everyone's held and said peace out to the walkons.

ETA that i also agree with everyone who says it doesn't matter that Leonard told him to leave, you respectively decline and say you'll stay on with your team. at the very least send off your scholly players and you stay on the floor with the rest of the team. you are the head frickin' coach, grow a set

No. What kind of team statement does that make? Hey, we are more important than you so we need to go and hide. Damn. You play as a team.

really? i think it looks worse than i originally thought. i thought they quietly left the floor during play but they stopped play, shook everyone's held and said peace out to the walkons.

I agree. I think it's probably smart to send everyone but five guys into the locker room but the HC has to stay out.

This. I can semi-make an arguement for getting your scholly players off the floor before a court rush; too many opportunites for some smart-ass, drunk nerd to get up in a player's face and something gets out of hand (imagine if the NBA let Knicks fans rush the court after a beatdown of the Heat) . But if that's the case, the head coach has to stay with the players still in the game.

No. What kind of team statement does that make? Hey, we are more important than you so we need to go and hide. Damn. You play as a team.

oh i absolutely agree but like others have said i can see and argument made for sending those guys off, but no matter what, you as a head coach have to stay if there are any members of your team still playing

I'm assuming you kinda knew what was coming & the outcome of the game already.

I know I'm looking at it with the-opposite-of-carolina-blue-glasses on... but a team is a team. Under no circumstance (i can think of, at least) is it OK to hang 5 of your guys out to dry like that. & yeah. 'hang them out to dry' might be an exaggerated expression, but if it is... why couldn't all of them handle the situation?

You'd have a hard time convincing me that the right (read: classy) move by a coach wouldn't have been to say 'no thanks' to Hamilton & tell his team (all 14 of them that played today) that they should hustle their asses to the locker room as soon as the buzzer sounded.

Again... I don't think the 5 that were left out there will be too offended but those who watched that Roy-created spectacle should be. That move was completely against the concept of a 'team'.

If it was truly Hamilton's idea, I can see sending the bench off the floor; but as others have said, the Head Ball Coach should have stayed till each and every player was off the floor.

If this was entirely Roy's idea, the whole affair was bad and overly dramatic. Whatever else I think about Williams I do think that he is something of a dramatic actor.

[B]From the News and Observer's article on the game comments section - this pretty much sums it up:

[/
B]Royfan09, I've been a fan of Roy Williams for a long time.
But, of late, I've taken a hard and discernible look at him. And, my opinion of his coaching ability has changed. He can't wear Dean Smith's jock strap when it comes to coaching .... nor the manly thing of many of the coaches whose teams frequent the top 20 in basketball.
He recruits talent and puts them on the floor and asks them to run and gun. Simple as that. Yes, there are vintages of Smith with the secondary break and such, but the Tarheel man defense sucks. He relies on outscoring the other team, not sopping them. Such was the case at Kansas.
He has a great record because he recruits well. But, he is a crybaby, a whiner, and worse still, he takes too personal anything said in his direction.
What he did today at the game sealed his fate with me. You DO NOT take your team off the court early and allow five walk-ons to finish the game. There's no excuse for it. It's a quitter-mentality. And, it is embarrassing. He can talk all he wants to on his radio show and try and defend what he did, but what Chancellor Holden ought to do is have him in his office first thing Monday morning explaining to him that his contract calls for more than just coaching and whining -- it is teaching kids that when you lose, you lose gracefully, not by sulking and by picking up your marbles and going home!!!!

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/01/14/1777981/live-updates-unc-visiting-florida.html#storylink=cpy

Back