• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rumor: Notre Dame Dropping 2014 Wake Forest football game

I don't see the problem with this. Good, hopefully early test for the new staff. More road experience going into the conference slate. Should be a cool trip for the players.

I don't see the problem with this. Good, hopefully early test for the new staff. More road experience going into the conference slate. Should be a cool trip for the players.

I assume it will be an early season game out there. If not it will be a very "cool" trip for the players.

The only problem I have is going to ULM and Utah State in the same season, I can't believe many BCS conference teams would do that.

Wake is going to start playing Duke at the end of the season if requests are granted. I wouldn't be surprised to see State and UNC start playing each other at the end of the year either since Maryland jumped conferences (who State had been playing). I feel like most of these two teams' students are from the area and would come back for the game anyways over Thanksgiving weekend.

I would rather end with Duke than State anyway. Our team has a much better shot at beating the Wolfpack earlier in the season before we get decimated with injuries. Duke should have a lot of the same depth issues we do, so that one shouldn't be as big a deal.

The State game in the warm early fall sun is so much more enjoyable than the cold misty rain we have to endure every for season finale as well.

From a reliable source, I heard Utah State will take Notre Dame's place next year.

Where are you getting the Utah State rumor from? I've only seen it from a BloggerSoDear guy on Twitter and one other random guy on twitter who said it was a 2-1 (2 at wake) and the possibility of some hoops games as well? I just asked the Utah State FB beat writer for the SLC tribune whether he'd heard anything and he said he thought their 2014 schedule was full (edit: he was wrong, they got to add an extra game due to playing @HAwaii). I'd much rather do a home and home with ECU or App or force Furman, Presby, or UNC-Charlotte to come here twice.... but the chance to test ourselves vs another bowl team would be good. Utah State has put together a solid football and basketball run over the past several years.

The State game in the warm early fall sun is so much more enjoyable than the cold misty rain we have to endure every for season finale as well.

I agree.... we can't force a rivalry to emerge just by scheduling a late season game. Let's just keep beating them as much as we can whenever we can.

Last edited:
Utah St??? It cost too much, It doesn't help recruiting, and what if we lose? The list Brendon207 has will at least put people in the seats. We should schedule our away game (OOC) in the heart of a recruiting area. Florida, Texas, and now Ohio. (Toledo, Akron, or Cincinnati). ULM won't help us next year.

I don't know if the Utah State rumor is true. I don't like that game either, but we're dealing with very short notice and not a lot of schools with free spots in their schedule. Personally I'd rather put two Div Iaa schools on the schedule to boost Clawson's first year record a bit.

By the way, I wasn't suggesting that State or Duke were not rivals of ours. They are regardless of what weekend we play them on the schedule.

Duke didn't exactly seem depleted down the stretch this season, whereas NC State was a disaster. Not sure I buy that argument

Duke didn't exactly seem depleted down the stretch this season, whereas NC State was a disaster. Not sure I buy that argument

NC State was a disaster from the beginning. Anyway one year doesn't make a trend. Duke historically performs horribly in November even when they have decent teams.

I don't know if the Utah State rumor is true. I don't like that game either, but we're dealing with very short notice and not a lot of schools with free spots in their schedule. Personally I'd rather put two Div Iaa schools on the schedule to boost Clawson's first year record a bit.

I like the idea of 2 FCS games. I don't see 5 FBS victories anyway.

NC State was a disaster from the beginning. Anyway one year doesn't make a trend. Duke historically performs horribly in November even when they have decent teams.

OK, what about Vandy the last two years? They haven't exactly finished poorly.

The common denominator between finishing strong or not between all those teams seems to be schedule strength, and not their talent pools being smaller due to recruiting disadvantages

OK, what about Vandy the last two years? They haven't exactly finished poorly.

The common denominator between finishing strong or not between all those teams seems to be schedule strength, and not their talent pools being smaller due to recruiting disadvantages

I would argue that it's more about injuries occurring over the course of the season. Some years you get lucky and its a non-factor, other years it wrecks your season. That's not to say the Duke, Wake or Vandy cannot recruit enough quality depth to overcome that especially for short terms. But over long periods of time, I think that assumption holds true.

Romney stadium? Geez.

Well might be just as well to keep next years inevitable shit show as far away as possible in obscurity....

How can Utah State be D-IA with a 25,500 seat stadium ? I thought the NCAA mandated a 30,000 seat stadium.

Back