• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ryder Cup Thread

Some interesting pairings going out tomorrow morning....Tiger with Reed in the anchor match, Speith and Thomas, Fowler and Johnson, and Koepka and Finau leading things off (no nerves for the rookie there, I'm sure!).

Europe is sitting out Stenson, Poulter, and Garcia in the morning.

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/24813363/tiger-woods-paired-patrick-reed-start-ryder-cup

I know Speith and Thomas are buds and all, but it is telling that Furyk is splitting up the Speith/Reed pairing that has been so successful. Thomas is a big boy and could play with someone else but/for the fact Reed is an asshole and not even Speith wants to play with him anymore. Tiger taking one for the team.

I read where if Phil plays 4somes, if he does the odd holes he gets all the par 3s, several short par 4s and one par 5 to drive on. Maybe 1 driver all day. Not arguing that I think he should be deployed in 4somes over 4ball, just throwing out some facts (at least I think they're facts, the internet never lies right?) If phil sits all day tomorrow I, for one, will be shocked.

I just have a feeling Reed is going to suck this Ryder Cup. Could just be indigestion though.

It makes sense that Tiger only plays once a day. He has faded late in the day several times in this comeback. It's smart to use him this way.

I read where if Phil plays 4somes, if he does the odd holes he gets all the par 3s, several short par 4s and one par 5 to drive on. Maybe 1 driver all day. Not arguing that I think he should be deployed in 4somes over 4ball, just throwing out some facts (at least I think they're facts, the internet never lies right?) If phil sits all day tomorrow I, for one, will be shocked.

Hadn't thought about this, but if Phil hit the tee shots on the evens, he'd only have 3-4 drivers/3 woods, and the evens would include 3 par 3s. But those 3 par 3s ain't easy either. I still say Phil would be better used this week where he had a partner because he is a birdie machine when he's on - and sometimes when he's off.

I like the Tiger-Reed pairing. Tiger can be an intimidating teammate. Reed is probably best suited on the U.S. team not to let Tiger's aura affect him. He may be the one guy on the team cockier than Tiger, yet Tiger is the one guy he probably respects as a player (if he is capable of respect).

My guess for Friday foursomes would be (in order of confidence):

Webb / Bubba
Phil / Bryson
Reed / Spieth
DJ / Koepka or JT/Rickie

I don't like the Webb/Bubba pairing. If Webb doesn't play well that one could be done by the 13th. Also, Bubba's not used to hitting a long second shot from where Webb's tee shots land.

Don't think that will be a huge deal. I read that the longest guys may hit as few as 3-4 drivers for a whole round.

IMO pairings and all that stuff is way overthought and overrated. It's just about who is hitting the shots and making the putts - more the latter. I don't think who you're playing with plays into that hardly at all. Personally, I think you would have a better chance at winning without a Captain. It makes the players focus too much on pairings. Just go play.

Very good chance Tiger will be a playing captain in Rome in 2022. Will be cool.

Pretty odd that all the par 3's are on even holes. Plus in matches that don't make it to 18, that player will likely only hit driver twice. Par 3 rankings for Americans - DJ (#1), Fowler (#19), Koepka (#32), Bryson/JT tied (#60).

Goes against common sense, but at 210, 210, 180, 180 - the par 3's are fairly long and the long hitters have an advantage on them. Driver is all but worthless on this course - put the bombers on the par 3's.

US likely to be tied or down going into tomorrow with the way things are going this afternoon.

When will these captains learn to put Tiger out first instead of last in team play? And why the hell is Mickelnuts playing foursomes when he can barely hit a 50 yard wide fairway with an iron? #LeSigh

Oh and PS - Brooks Koepka should be playing all 5 matches. Period. Kid has the under pressure "it" factor, obviously. Play him with DJ in foursomes, not Rickie. Put Rickie with BAD as Rickie can get along with anyone.

Very good chance Tiger will be a playing captain in Rome in 2022. Will be cool.

Tiger doesn't have a good Ryder Cup record and, early in his career at least, wasn't considered a great partner. Captain? I don't see it.

I don't like the Webb/Bubba pairing. If Webb doesn't play well that one could be done by the 13th. Also, Bubba's not used to hitting a long second shot from where Webb's tee shots land.

No matter how short Webb hits it, Bubba's hitting 2-3 less clubs than most, so it's moot as long as he keeps it out of the hack-out rough. And go figure, those two are the only ones off to a good start. Go Deacs! #Murrica

Back