• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ryder Cup Thread

No matter how short Webb hits it, Bubba's hitting 2-3 less clubs than most, so it's moot as long as he keeps it out of the hack-out rough. And go figure, those two are the only ones off to a good start. Go Deacs! #Murrica

They're losing now but not by as much as the other three pairings. So I guess that's a positive.

Tiger doesn't have a good Ryder Cup record and, early in his career at least, wasn't considered a great partner. Captain? I don't see it.

Captain-ships are almost more ceremonial than anything. Of course Tiger will be a captain. Probably multiple times. Philly Mick -- probably playing C at Bethpage -- in 2024 for sure where he is so beloved. I could definitely see Tiger in 2022 in Rome, but 2020 will likely be Stricker or someone of his ilk with the "connections" from having been vice-captain several times.

Tiger doesn't have a good Ryder Cup record and, early in his career at least, wasn't considered a great partner. Captain? I don't see it.

Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson are already in place to be future US Ryder Cup team captains, according to The Times of London. The PGA of America has slotted Woods to lead the US at the 2022 event in Rome and Mickelson to captain the 2024 team at Bethpage Black on Long Island.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/18/why-tiger-woods-will-be-ryder-cup-captain-before-phil-mickelson/

They're losing now but not by as much as the other three pairings. So I guess that's a positive.

Never mind...jaysus...what a cluster jam. Way to go Furyk. Only 2 or 3 of his pairings have made any sense to me thus far. Guess we were fortunate that the Euros were still asleep earlier this morning.

Last edited:
Phil is a clear captain choice, as he has a good Ryder Cup record and loves it. Tiger, not at all. But he is the second best player of all-time and the Tiger.

Tiger would probably have come up with better pairings than Furyk honestly. He did a lot of the leg work in the last Prezzie's Cup. I'm surprised he didn't tell Jimbo to keep Reed with Speithy for four ball, why fix it if it ain't broke? Then if they run mad game in the morning, keep the hot hand going out in foursomes. Ride that horse till it bucks you off. BAD was practically begging to play with El Tigre and it's not like Brooks or Finau couldn't handle the "aura" of playing with him in Europe. psshhh

His record isn't nearly as bad as Furyk's FWIW. Furyk may well be our worst RC'er ever.

There aren't many sights in golf as pleasing as Poulter dumping a shot in the water, although Finau hitting off a bulkhead to 4' is close. Nice to see Webb get off to a fast start, but now they're giving that away. Surprising to see Tiger and Rory suck as bad as they did this a.m. Even more surprising to see Bjorn stick Rory right back out there after his morning. And it looks like the best Euro duo is going to be Molinari and Fairway Jesus. Also agree with WtDN that I would have put DJ with Koepka this afternoon. Koepka is a stud, and DJ was carrying Fowler on the back 9 this a.m.

This is a very difficult afternoon for all Americans.

His record isn't nearly as bad as Furyk's FWIW. Furyk may well be our worst RC'er ever.

There aren't many sights in golf as pleasing as Poulter dumping a shot in the water, although Finau hitting off a bulkhead to 4' is close. Nice to see Webb get off to a fast start, but now they're giving that away. Surprising to see Tiger and Rory suck as bad as they did this a.m. Even more surprising to see Bjorn stick Rory right back out there after his morning. And it looks like the best Euro duo is going to be Molinari and Fairway Jesus. Also agree with WtDN that I would have put DJ with Koepka this afternoon. Koepka is a stud, and DJ was carrying Fowler on the back 9 this a.m.

True

lol

I can't recall when the USA played alternate shot well.

Perhaps Bubba's answer to Poulter will get something started.

Phil and Bryson down 7 thru 9:eek:

Last edited:
There goes the Euros' putters again.

And the US can't make ANYTHING.

Last edited:
I can't recall when the USA played alternate shot well.

Perhaps Bubba's answer to Poulter will get something started.

I think it's more than history. Like some others, I'm questioning some of Furyk's afternoon pairings. As I maintained yesterday, I don't think this is the right course to put 2 guys struggling with their forms like Phil and Bubba out in 4somes. I'd still rather take my chances with them in 4ball with steady partners. And as a couple of us have said, why not go DJ/Koepka or Finau/Koepka after Fowler struggled this a.m. I do like the Justin/Jordan combo, though. They're just up against a tough duo of solid ball strikers and putters.

I think it's more than history. Like some others, I'm questioning some of Furyk's afternoon pairings. As I maintained yesterday, I don't think this is the right course to put 2 guys struggling with their forms like Phil and Bubba out in 4somes. I'd still rather take my chances with them in 4ball with steady partners. And as a couple of us have said, why not go DJ/Koepka or Finau/Koepka after Fowler struggled this a.m. I do like the Justin/Jordan combo, though. They're just up against a tough duo of solid ball strikers and putters.

Sergio has also been struggling with form obviously, and Bjorn put him out there in foursomes and he's smoking us.

Back