• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ryder Cup Thread

Tiger and Koepka need to play 36 tomorrow. Would love to see a Koepka/DJ foursomes pairing. Put Reed and Spieth together in the morning.

Tiger and Koepka need to play 36 tomorrow. Would love to see a Koepka/DJ foursomes pairing. Put Reed and Spieth together in the morning.

Depends what the facts are. Apparently, Tiger may have told Furyk he's only good for 18 per day. If so, he ain't playing 36. There are also some rumors that Spieth and Reed are on the outs, like Reed is with much of the rest of the known universe. If so, I actually like the Tiger/Reed pairing and would be willing to go back to it - Tiger just played like shite and was hooking it like I normally do. But I agree completely about DJ/Koepka and still am scratching my head why that wasn't the pairing given that DJ was carrying Fowler in the a.m.

Depends what the facts are. Apparently, Tiger may have told Furyk he's only good for 18 per day. If so, he ain't playing 36. There are also some rumors that Spieth and Reed are on the outs, like Reed is with much of the rest of the known universe. If so, I actually like the Tiger/Reed pairing and would be willing to go back to it - Tiger just played like shite and was hooking it like I normally do. But I agree completely about DJ/Koepka and still am scratching my head why that wasn't the pairing given that DJ was carrying Fowler in the a.m.

I hear you on Tiger, but unless he is physically incapable, boy would he be good to have for mental fortitude. DJ/Koepka should play 36 together tomorrow, but at least the foursomes (both should play in fourballs, even with other partners).

Tiger didn't look today like he can play 36 tomorrow. He tired before finishing 18.

How did Speith and Thomas go from birdieing everything to hackers? They looked amazing in the morning. Wouldn't mind Fowler/Woods either. Reed looked like ass.

How did Speith and Thomas go from birdieing everything to hackers? They looked amazing in the morning. Wouldn't mind Fowler/Woods either. Reed looked like ass.

i think the answer is "golf"

I have to believe we won't see Webb and Bubba paired again in the afternoon.

Phil is 18-20-7 compared to Tiger's 13-17-3 overall record, how are those not both considered mediocre considering their stature in the game? Never heard Phil's record in the Ryder Cup been described as "good" before today.

HE's better in team play, but it's not that dissimilar a record from TW. But Phil has played really well in most of the RC's without Tiger...where he's been "the guy."

Yeah, I was more critical of Bjorn picking him in the 1st place than I was about anything about Furyk with Phil. That's a head scratcher. The guy does nothing all year and then has a top-10 last week in Portugal and is now playing well again. Go figure.

I mean, Furyk had it alllll laid out for him based on 2016 RC pairings and the Prez Cup. There was NO good reason really to change Spieth/Reed & DJ/Brooks. He really exposed himself to a ton of second-guessing as opposed to just going the % play route and letting the players decide it. Not many pundits would have questioned it based on prior success with those pairings. In addition to those obvious two groupings, you got Tiger/BAD or JT and Phil/Finau/Fowler pick 'em for 4-ball with maybe Rickie & Phil together for 4-sums. But I'm sure there's a better combo I'm overlooking. Oh yes, Bubba & Webb. LOL Bubba shoulda never seen team play unless it was 4-ball. Probably same goes for Phil.

I get it. All I am saying is that it is easy to second guess people. By all accounts Speith and Thomas should have been a good team in the afternoon. They weren't.

Also so much harder to play alternate shot -- though I guess the Euros are the contradiction of that today.

So ...

It's so much harder *for Americans* to play alternate shot (for whatever reason).

Also so much harder to play alternate shot -- though I guess the Euros are the contradiction of that today.

So ...

It's so much harder *for Americans* to play alternate shot (for whatever reason).

History easily predicted that, as you know Conor. Furyk defied history and didn't use the blueprint given him to at least scratch out 1.5 pts in the afternoon. Make Jords and Reed "get over it" and play for country. That should be enough to get Captain America to fall in line and take direction from the cerebral Spieth. By all accounts, JT was kinda shaky this morning so Jim never should have forced that on Spieth as he isn't as crooked as JT when JT is spraying it.

As it turns out, it actually was really bad for BAD to get so hot and win those two FEC events because then Jim had no choice but to take him. They needed a Kisner and/or Kuchar to find some "safe" pairings in 4-sums that would better compliment Phil and Tiger respectively. Kuchar is a great scrambler and can handle an occasional bad shot by Tiger, but TW would be hitting out of more fairways with Kuch teeing off. And we know how good Kiz and Phil were together in the Prez Cup. Plus, Kiz has marbles the size of Tejas before Texians declared their "independence."

Last edited:
US are in trouble, IMO. Incredibly stupid to sit Koepka and Finau this afternoon. I dont think any combination of Mickelson/DeChambeau/Watson/Webb can get points in the afternoon session. I'm not even sure I'd play any of them, except maybe subbing in one if someone has a terrible morning. No chance Tiger wins two matches tomorrow either.

US need 3.5-.5 or 3-1 tomorrow morning or their toast. This team just isn't great from 6/7 down (current form, obviously they're all great golfers)

I agree on Koepka. I wouldn't rest that guy until Monday.

He doesn't get rattled.

Bryson goes from hottest player on earth BY FAR, to first flight net runner-up.

I mean, Furyk had it alllll laid out for him based on 2016 RC pairings and the Prez Cup. There was NO good reason really to change Spieth/Reed & DJ/Brooks. He really exposed himself to a ton of second-guessing as opposed to just going the % play route and letting the players decide it. Not many pundits would have questioned it based on prior success with those pairings. In addition to those obvious two groupings, you got Tiger/BAD or JT and Phil/Finau/Fowler pick 'em for 4-ball with maybe Rickie & Phil together for 4-sums. But I'm sure there's a better combo I'm overlooking. Oh yes, Bubba & Webb. LOL Bubba shoulda never seen team play unless it was 4-ball. Probably same goes for Phil.

I'll go along with some of what you say. As I've said, after DJ carried Fowler this morning, I was certain he'd pair DJ with Koepka because that had been such a successful pairing whether it was 4ball or 4somes, so I'm with you there. But I can't criticize Furyk for splitting Spieth and Reed because there have been rumors that they're not getting along. And the fact that they're not paired together tomorrow leads me to believe that Furyk doesn't realistically have the option to pair them together. Thank you Patrick Reed for being such an asshat. But I again agree with you about Tiger/DeChambeau and some kind of Phil/Finau/Fowler combo. And I completely agree about Bubba and Phil and was saying that a few pages ago and was being criticized for saying that Phil shouldn't be in 4somes on that course given how wild he is off the tee. And in fact Phil was hitting irons into the water on par 4s and 5s off the tee.

Now we see that Furyk has gone with the same morning pairings tomorrow as he did today. The only quibble I have is I don't know that Fowler needs to be out there after 2 sub par sessions today. But then what does this mean for tomorrow afternoon? If he throws Bubba and Phil out there in 4somes again, he should voluntarily commit himself. And if he doesn't, is Phil going to throw another RC fit? And speaking about the same morning pairings, Tiger and Reed are again facing Molinari and Fairway Jesus - ouch.

CONeill, we're actually fine in alternate shot every other year - when we play the internationals. But yes, we usually get smoked by the Euros.

I'll go along with some of what you say. As I've said, after DJ carried Fowler this morning, I was certain he'd pair DJ with Koepka because that had been such a successful pairing whether it was 4ball or 4somes, so I'm with you there. But I can't criticize Furyk for splitting Spieth and Reed because there have been rumors that they're not getting along. And the fact that they're not paired together tomorrow leads me to believe that Furyk doesn't realistically have the option to pair them together. Thank you Patrick Reed for being such an asshat. But I again agree with you about Tiger/DeChambeau and some kind of Phil/Finau/Fowler combo. And I completely agree about Bubba and Phil and was saying that a few pages ago and was being criticized for saying that Phil shouldn't be in 4somes on that course given how wild he is off the tee. And in fact Phil was hitting irons into the water on par 4s and 5s off the tee.

Now we see that Furyk has gone with the same morning pairings tomorrow as he did today. The only quibble I have is I don't know that Fowler needs to be out there after 2 sub par sessions today. But then what does this mean for tomorrow afternoon? If he throws Bubba and Phil out there in 4somes again, he should voluntarily commit himself. And if he doesn't, is Phil going to throw another RC fit? And speaking about the same morning pairings, Tiger and Reed are again facing Molinari and Fairway Jesus - ouch.

Good stuff cville, I hear ya on the Reed\Spieth stuff but man was it under-reported till I guess this past week when we found out PR was using a Bridgestone ball in practices. I just don't see how hating each other would matter as much in alt shot. Strategy is pretty obvious on a lot of these "target" golf holes. Just talk to your caddies, take your shot and move on. Don't need to help each other read putts, just make them cuz you want to show the other whose better. I just think that natural "golden boy" vs "locker room villain" actually made for good chemistry. There's no way they were best of friends before so unless Reed tried to pork his mom, I'm not sure what the issue could be. And Spieth has no one to blame but himself for losing the green jacket to Reed, if he's sore about Reed's "told ya I'm great" post-Masters attitude. Although I'm not even sure he was much of a cock, save for shunning his parents. Such a weird sitch.

And then enter BAD, who is another epic head case to go along with Bubba and Reed, and there goes your team chemistry. Bubba winning 3 times and BAD catching fire in Sept was like the worst two things that ever could have happened for this team's chemistry. Then let's throw Phil AND Tiger into the mix to see how interesting it gets! Yes, TW and Phil seem to be much more "chummy" these days, but Phil LOVES being "the guy" at these events and Tiger being on equal footing from a leadership standpoint, or even ahead of Phil perception-wise just messes Phil up I think. And it may hurt Phil not to have Kuchar there to razz him and keep him from getting into his own head by making him keep it "collegial."

IDK, just arm-chair psycho-analyzing these guys cuz I've watched way too much golf over the last decade. I'm finding that it's time to back away from it as I had my concerns about this Ryder Cup killing all the positive mo' the US teams had since '14. I hope I'm wrong tomorrow cuz this team is too talented on paper, but where have we heard that before?

Back