• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ryder Cup Thread

Phil is a clear captain choice, as he has a good Ryder Cup record and loves it. Tiger, not at all. But he is the second best player of all-time and the Tiger.

Phil is 18-20-7 compared to Tiger's 13-17-3 overall record, how are those not both considered mediocre considering their stature in the game? Never heard Phil's record in the Ryder Cup been described as "good" before today.

Jordan and JT just bogeyed a Par 5 from 15 feet off the green in 2 to lose the hole. Brilliant.

Sergio has also been struggling with form obviously, and Bjorn put him out there in foursomes and he's smoking us.

Yeah, I was more critical of Bjorn picking him in the 1st place than I was about anything about Furyk with Phil. That's a head scratcher. The guy does nothing all year and then has a top-10 last week in Portugal and is now playing well again. Go figure.

Insane pairing for the alternate shot by Furyk. Mickelson should never play in alternate shot and Bubba too. You put Phil with a steady player in 4 ball where he's got cover for his bad holes, not alternate shot. If I were on the US team, I'd refuse to play with Phil in alternate shot and I'm a Phil fan. He's too inconsistent.

Phil is 18-20-7 compared to Tiger's 13-17-3 overall record, how are those not both considered mediocre considering their stature in the game? Never heard Phil's record in the Ryder Cup been described as "good" before today.

Wow, I didn't realize Phil's record was that bad. I'll take the L on my Phil/Tiger captain comparison. But my opinion on Tiger as a captain remains unchanged. For now...

Saying you don't think the 2nd best player of all time, who all of the younger U.S. players love/idolize, should ever be a U.S. Ryder Cup captain is a pretty freezing cold take.

Europeans have been practicing alternate shot obviously.

Saying you don't think the 2nd best player of all time, who all of the younger U.S. players love/idolize, should ever be a U.S. Ryder Cup captain is a pretty freezing cold take.

That's crazy, Tiger and Phil are 2 of the easiest choices to captain future teams ever.

It's essentially a given that Mickelson will captain the US Ryder Cup team in 2024 when they play at Bethpage.

It's essentially a given that Mickelson will captain the US Ryder Cup team in 2024 when they play at Bethpage.

Well, if you're going to have Furyk as captain, Phil or Tiger would have to go something like 0-10 over the next 2-3 RCs for you to argue they shouldn't be captains. And Furyk's curious afternoon pairings (that I'd describe as Suttonesque) pretty much mirror his level of play at the RC. If you're Europe, while that course is tough, it's not as tough if you don't have to play 16, 17 and 18.

Worst performance during a single team session in US Ryder Cup history. An absolute embarrassment. Phil and Bubba have no business playing again until Sunday. Brooks Koepka should not have been on the bench, treat him like the thoroughbred that he is. Take our same dogs out there tomorrow morning, wouldn't even mind switching Fowler for Webb.

USA could use some mental toughness and grit. We look over-whelmed by the whole scene.

What a blow up by USA. I know some were saying pairings are overrated, but when you blow up like Team USA did this afternoon going way over par in most of the teams then you know you blew it. Clearly understanding players strengths/weaknesses is so important for foursomes. Complete whitewash and no match even close. Given talent level of US no other way to paint this ugly picture but poor pairings.

Back