• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sagarin now has Deacs ranked ahead of Duke using "Golden Mean"

Who says things regarding WF basketball aren't getting significantly better? Not renowned & respected analyst Jeff Sagarin. In addition to his overall rating, Sagarin rates teams using three other methods known as "Golden Mean", "Predictor" & "Pure ELO". In his latest ratings list, he has Wake Forest at #66 overall....but using his "Golden Mean" method he has the Deacs rated at #49 in the country......ahead of Duke using that method, by the way. This is Sagarin's definition of "Golden Mean":

GOLDEN_MEAN also utilizes the actual SCORES of the games in a different way but is also completely SCORE BASED
and thus should be a good match for the PURE POINTS in terms of predictive accuracy for upcoming games.

Now I'm not suggesting that we are now better than Duke, but it should be obvious to any rational person who doesn't stubbornly have his head stuck in the sand out of spite that WF basketball is on the way back...and has already made giant strides so far this year.

Here are all of his latest ratings, up to date thru games of Tuesday, December 17th:

http://sagarin.com/sports/cbsend.htm

Holy shit...they are now letting Casstevens do sports analytical numbers?

Very happy. I was getting tired of picking up the newspaper and reading about WF basketball in the police reports instead of the sports section.

Sorry to hear that you don't think Wake deserves better than Buzz and Ron. Suit yourself but I hope you will understand that a lot of us do.

Evaluating any team based on early, OOC play is like determining who's going to play in the Super Bowl based on exhibition football. Let's see what happens in conference play before we start talking about being better than Duke. Had to type that twice due to laughter.

Well, out of all due respect, I'm sorry that a lot of you don't seem to have any problem with WF having had at least seven basketball players (Tony Woods, Ty Walker, Ari Stewart, J T Terrell, Melvin Tabb, Gary Clark & Jeff Teague) in recent years who were involved in incidents that reflected poorly upon your alma mater.

Moving on from [Redacted] does not equal moving backwards to the scenario you mentioned.

Well, out of all due respect, I'm sorry that a lot of you don't seem to have any problem with WF having had at least seven basketball players (Tony Woods, Ty Walker, Ari Stewart, J T Terrell, Melvin Tabb, Gary Clark & Jeff Teague) in recent years who were involved in incidents that reflected poorly upon your alma mater.

Who said people had no problem with questionable behavior by some players? But, in any event, why does your list mean that Buzz is the solution? You might take a closer look at your own list and discover some interesting facts. 1. Only Jeff Teague and Gary Clark were involved in an incident (and they were not charged) under Dino. 2. The rest of the players you mention (save one) were involved in police incidents while Jeff [Redacted] was the coach. 3. What incident was Ari involved in? 4. What exactly was Jeff Teague guilty of? Refusing the sloppy seconds services of a coed in a Miami hotel? Is that a crime, or even morally wrong? 5. Jeff [Redacted] made Gary Clark the team captain after the incident. I think you need some better evidence and arguments for the necessity of hiring and retaining Jeff [Redacted].

COM-ON-BOB (man)..... We haven't played anyone yet. We beat Richmond(we're in the ACC), we should. We'll see how we stack up against the likes of stiffer competition. I hope your right Bob. I'm just not sold on Buzz. Last night NC State handled Tennessee, which was the direct opposite of what Tenn. did to us..

Again, I hope your right Bob..

So Wake has gone from historically the worst the program has ever been, to historically bad. Awesome, great improvement Buzz!

So Wake has gone from historically the worst the program has ever been, to historically bad. Awesome, great improvement Buzz!

I don't think Buzz is good and I would like a new coach next season, but this is not a historically bad team. It wouldn't really take tooo much overachieving for this year's squad to be the 2nd or 3rd strongest team since CP3 left (9 seasons).

Wellman isn't going anywhere...and neither is [Redacted]. The sooner that people realize this and accept that fact, the less stress they will have in their lives.

Actually, unless [Redacted] makes at least the NIT, he will almost assuredly be replaced. Now this team might be good enough to do so, but the idea that [Redacted]'s job security is airtight is about as silly as many of your other beliefs.

Bob Knight did more harm to people then those 7 combined.

Am I missing something here? Golden Mean in red

24 Duke = 86.28 8 2 72.18( 208) 1 2 | 1 2 | 85.60 31 | 87.62 15 | 80.73 67

75 Wake Forest = 79.69 9 2 69.20( 305) 0 1 | 0 1 | 79.88 73 | 79.24 78 | 79.81 78

Am I missing something here? Golden Mean in red

24 Duke = 86.28 8 2 72.18( 208) 1 2 | 1 2 | 85.60 31 | 87.62 15 | 80.73 67

75 Wake Forest = 79.69 9 2 69.20( 305) 0 1 | 0 1 | 79.88 73 | 79.24 78 | 79.81 78

Well the data is now through last night's game instead of just Tuesday night's games when bkf made the OP. That said, it seems shocking the data would move that much.

Back