• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sagarin now has Deacs ranked ahead of Duke using "Golden Mean"

"Pure ELO" -well those guys really liked their hallucinogens. To have any rating that puts us ahead of Duke, the person who does and his program must be trippin.

Well, out of all due respect, I'm sorry that a lot of you don't seem to have any problem with WF having had at least seven basketball players (Tony Woods, Ty Walker, Ari Stewart, J T Terrell, Melvin Tabb, Gary Clark & Jeff Teague) in recent years who were involved in incidents that reflected poorly upon your alma mater.

Bzball has brought more embarrassment to WF than those guys combined. You are either a troll or a simpleton.

when conference play starts, we are going to see the new normal- wake getting ass raped without lube.

when conference play starts, we are going to see the new normal- wake getting ass raped without lube.

We're probably going to get blown out in a road game or two during conference play, but this team has too much talent and resilience for that to happen consistently.

Anyone else notice that Jeff Sagarin has trademarked his name? How ballsy is that?

"Pure ELO" -well those guys really liked their hallucinogens. To have any rating that puts us ahead of Duke, the person who does and his program must be trippin.

Exactly. Anyone that uses a program to put us ahead of duke, has a flawed program. If I cared, I would like to see other teams that we are ahead of...but I don't, because it's obviously a joke

Somewhere around 8th, with an 8-10 or 9-9 record.

ETA: The UNG-G game will give us 10 wins. Add 8 ACC wins and we are at 18 wins. I have the Xavier game, a 9th ACC win & a very possible 1st round ACCT win as three unknowns. That means I think we will win a minimum of 18 games & a maximum of 21 games overall....counting the ACC Tournament. And I do think we will at least make the NIT this year.

I agree with this.

Somewhere around 8th, with an 8-10 or 9-9 record.

ETA: The UNG-G game will give us 10 wins. Add 8 ACC wins and we are at 18 wins. I have the Xavier game, a 9th ACC win & a very possible 1st round ACCT win as three unknowns. That means I think we will win a minimum of 18 games & a maximum of 21 games overall....counting the ACC Tournament. And I do think we will at least make the NIT this year.

With so many toss up games I don't know how you can say we'll win a minimum of 18 games.

I don't think Buzz is good and I would like a new coach next season, but this is not a historically bad team. It wouldn't really take tooo much overachieving for this year's squad to be the 2nd or 3rd strongest team since CP3 left (9 seasons).

According to Basketball-Reference if season ended today this would be the sixth worst season since 1990 (24 seasons) ahead of Buzz's other three years and 05-06, 06-07.

It would take a tremendous overachievement for this team to be better than 08-09, or 09-10.

The bottom tier of the ACC is about as weak as I have ever seen it. I would break the conference down into 3 tiers: Syracuse, Pitt, Duke & UNC in the top tier; Virginia Tech, Miami, Boston College & Georgia Tech in the bottom tier; and the other 7 teams (Florida State, Maryland, Virginia, Wake Forest, NC State, Clemson & Notre Dame) in the middle tier. We have a fairly tough ACC schedule, since we only play each of those bottom 4 teams once & have to play both Duke & UNC twice. We have 8 games against those other six teams in my middle tier....playing Clemson & NC State twice. Still, I think we will be favored in 6 of our 9 home games (other than UNC, Syracuse & Duke)...and I think we can get at least 2 road wins from the six games against Virginia Tech, Miami, Clemson, NC State, Virginia & Maryland.

I also think that we have a chance to surprise Carolina on January 5th. This is not a bad team we have this year. CMM & Cav have improved a lot. Devin is solid, and Coron gives us an outside weapon we haven't had....and Travis has the ability to do all things and be the foundation & "glue" to help put all the pieces together. It's the best starting five that we have had since [Redacted] arrived.....by far. The depth is suspect, but there are bodies there who can provide some minutes (Washington, Moto, & Jones in particular...and Rountree & Overton if the situation is desperate). And you have to remember....out of those 10 players, 7 are sophomores & 1 is a freshman. It was the wise thing to do to play a weak OOC schedule in a situation like that. I think everything is going just as planned so far. I don't understand why any Wake fan wouldn't be pleased with what has happened with this team so far this year.

The bottom tier of the ACC is considerably better than last year. Roughly 25 spots higher in kenpom on average.

The bottom tier of the ACC is about as weak as I have ever seen it. I would break the conference down into 3 tiers: Syracuse, Pitt, Duke & UNC in the top tier; Virginia Tech, Miami, Boston College & Georgia Tech in the bottom tier; and the other 7 teams (Florida State, Maryland, Virginia, Wake Forest, NC State, Clemson & Notre Dame) in the middle tier. We have a fairly tough ACC schedule, since we only play each of those bottom 4 teams once & have to play both Duke & UNC twice. We have 8 games against those other six teams in my middle tier....playing Clemson & NC State twice. Still, I think we will be favored in 6 of our 9 home games (other than UNC, Syracuse & Duke)...and I think we can get at least 2 road wins from the six games against Virginia Tech, Miami, Clemson, NC State, Virginia & Maryland.

I also think that we have a chance to surprise Carolina on January 5th. This is not a bad team we have this year. CMM & Cav have improved a lot. Devin is solid, and Coron gives us an outside weapon we haven't had....and Travis has the ability to do all things and be the foundation & "glue" to help put all the pieces together. It's the best starting five that we have had since [Redacted] arrived.....by far. The depth is suspect, but there are bodies there who can provide some minutes (Washington, Moto, & Jones in particular...and Rountree & Overton if the situation is desperate). And you have to remember....out of those 10 players, 7 are sophomores & 1 is a freshman. It was the wise thing to do to play a weak OOC schedule in a situation like that. I think everything is going just as planned so far. I don't understand why any Wake fan wouldn't be pleased with what has happened with this team so far this year.

This isn't even close to being true. The bottom tier of the ACC is much stronger this year than in any of Bzzz's other years. Miami FL and BC are the lowest ranked ACC teams per KenPom at 116 and 118. The ACC is close to having all 15 squads being in the top 100.

Just a few years ago, Wake played 7 of 16 conference games against sub 100 kenpom squads.

If we are favored by kenpom to win any road conference game, we are a 1 or 2 point favorite.

Last edited:
I suppose different people measure "worst" seasons in different ways. Coack Knight always said that you are really playing against your potential, not your opponent...so that's the way I would measure "worst" teams or "worst" seasons. And using that yardstick, I would rate the 2005-06 WF team as the "worst" team in recent memory. It had several starters back (including two, I believe, who made one of the All-ACC teams while here) from a team that went 13-3 in the ACC the previous year. And that team basically quit during the year. It was 1-11 in the ACC at one point and finished at 3-13.

Did you take another break from Wake Forest basketball in 2010-2011? Using any measure that was the worst team in recent memory or Wake Forest Basketball History

I can't believe that anyone's goal is to make the NIT. When Wake won it, I asked Coach Odom where were they going to keep and display the trophy. He said he didn't know and didn't care.

I can't believe that anyone's goal is to make the NIT. When Wake won it, I asked Coach Odom where were they going to keep and display the trophy. He said he didn't know and didn't care.

I wasn't aware that anyone had said that making the NIT was their goal for this year.

Right. The players and coaches said making the postseason was their goal on several occasions, but never the NIT specifically. I would assume this team has every confidence internally that it can make the NCAA Tournament.

Buzz said the goal for this year was to have more wins than losses and to be in consideration for postseason play. This has been his goal for the last 3 years, and some are going to be satisfied if we make the NIT in Year 4. Somebody end this nightmare.

If you had read my post, you would have noticed that I said I was basing my "worst" team on how it played vs its potential...not its actual won-loss record. That 2005-06 team had four senior starters (Justin Gray, 2nd Team All-ACC, Eric Williams, 2nd Team All-ACC, Trent Strickland & Chris Ellis) & a junior starter (Kyle Visser) from a team that had just gone 13-3 in the ACC. That team was 1-11 in the ACC at one time, and finished the year at 3-13 in the ACC. That's with 4 seniors....two of which were 2nd team All-ACC the previous year...and a junior starter off a team that went 13-3 in the ACC and was ranked #1 in the nation at one point in the previous season.

Going 1-11, then 3-13 in the ACC with that kind of experience & talent is worse, in my opinion, than not winning any games with a young inexperienced team with little talent.

Practice what you preach. I said "using any measure." That includes your inane unmeasurable measure. The team you speak of was probably about on par talent wise as our 09-10 team and in a somewhat similar situation (early defection of All-ACC players). The difference is the 09-10 team had Aminu to carry them and actually had a point guard (a must in college basketball).

That probably means the 05-06's teams potential was in the 40-50 range. It finished 82nd in kenpom. That team went 2-6 in close games to close the season and i do think towards the middle of the losing streak some of the guys just gave up. They were probably looking at an 8-8, 9-7 finish at best in ACC play.

The 10-11 team had a top 10 recruiting class, as well as 3 other former top 50 recruits on it. It went 8-24. Finished #271 in kenpom, lost to Stetson, Winthrop, and fucking Presbyterian, and according to Basketball-reference was further away performance-wise from that 05-06 team than the 05-06 team was from the 04-05 team.

That year was always going to be rough but if we are talking about how it played vs. its potential the 10-11 team should have been able to scrape up 15-16 wins against the schedule it had.

Speaking of "fast turnarounds" in rebuilding a program, I have to mention Coach Knight's 1st year at Texas Tech one more time. The year before Coach Knight arrived in Lubbock, Texas Tech went 3-13 in the Big 12. He inherited a team that had only 4 returning players.....not 4 returning starters, but 4 total returning roster players. And he was hired in late March, after virtually all of the recruiting was over. He had to find a few Jucos at the last minute & add a couple of walk-ons just to have enough players to hold a scrimmage.

And that team finished 3rd in the Big 12 at 10-6, won 23 games, and made the NCAA Tournament.

Bob Knight could coach.

Jeff [Redacted] has shown no real ability to do so.

Back