• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sam Hartman is…..

Not to pile on but we could have Dortch (COVID super senior) and Sage still on this team. Will leave out KW3 and Newman since they transferred. But we’ve gotten to the point on offense- especially WR- that we can just re-load - more than any time in our history. A WR corp of Dortch, Sage, Perry, Roberson, and Morin would be SEC level talent. Problem is on offense - only so many balls to go around so bound to have guys leave early and transfer- again - sign of a good program. Every big time team goes through that. And I don’t know how much better we could be at offense than we are right now.

One of Sam’s most impressive qualities is his level headedness. He’s just like a machine that seems to go out and produce and his guys know he can be depended on.

Not to pile on but we could have Dortch (COVID super senior) and Sage still on this team. Will leave out KW3 and Newman since they transferred. But we’ve gotten to the point on offense- especially WR- that we can just re-load - more than any time in our history. A WR corp of Dortch, Sage, Perry, Roberson, and Morin would be SEC level talent. Problem is on offense - only so many balls to go around so bound to have guys leave early and transfer- again - sign of a good program. Every big time team goes through that. And I don’t know how much better we could be at offense than we are right now.

For one, you wouldn’t see much of Perry or Morin. As long as we’re playing the hypothetical game, Greene isn’t injured either, so those two just never see the field this year.

Freak isn’t wrong that the depth issue actually worked out in our favor somehow. Losing Dortch and Surratt just opened the door for similarly talented guys to ascend.

One of Sam’s most impressive qualities is his level headedness. He’s just like a machine that seems to go out and produce and his guys know he can be depended on.

Exactly. I remember a lot of folks were wondering if he’d fold after a tough 2020 and now I’m convinced this kid has ice water in his veins.

As someone who has been watching Wake football since the days of Michael Ramseur (R.I.P.), I would put that Army game next to at Florida State in 2006 on the hedonism index. I understand the defense made it more interesting than it needed to be, but the offense was unstoppable and everyone involved in the game knew it. Wake's offense was so relentless that it caused the other team (a bowl-caliber team playing at home) to kick onside (with 8:18 left in the game) rather than attempt to defend Wake Forest. I've been around a long time, and I don't remember many games where "Defending Wake Forest's offense" wasn't a viable option. . Hats off to Clawson, Ruggs, Hartman and the Beef Boys. What a fun team.

For one, you wouldn’t see much of Perry or Morin. As long as we’re playing the hypothetical game, Greene isn’t injured either, so those two just never see the field this year.

Freak isn’t wrong that the depth issue actually worked out in our favor somehow. Losing Dortch and Surratt just opened the door for similarly talented guys to ascend.

Perry and Morin would still play just as Stewart and Williams still play. More snaps for more players.

As someone who has been watching Wake football since the days of Michael Ramseur (R.I.P.), I would put that Army game next to at Florida State in 2006 on the hedonism index. I understand the defense made it more interesting than it needed to be, but the offense was unstoppable and everyone involved in the game knew it. Wake's offense was so relentless that it caused the other team (a bowl-caliber team playing at home) to kick onside (with 8:18 left in the game) rather than attempt to defend Wake Forest. I've been around a long time, and I don't remember many games where "Defending Wake Forest's offense" wasn't a viable option. . Hats off to Clawson, Ruggs, Hartman and the Beef Boys. What a fun team.

100%. That as perfect of an offensive performance as you will ever see by any college football team.

Army

Announcers were grasping for a nickname for Hartman. I was hoping they would land on "Hitman."

Also, loved the crazy camera guy, as a few times, I was like "where's the ball...where's the play...what are we looking at?"

Perry and Morin would still play just as Stewart and Williams still play. More snaps for more players.

Williams is really good, and more explosive than Stewart.

The thought of this is just...incredible:

WR depth chart in my dream world:

WR 1: Sage Surratt/AT Perry

WR 2: Donavan Greene/Roberson (I think he leaves after the season, he is what 23 yrs. old?)

Slot: T. Morin/Key Williams

Roberson would be ahead of Greene. Roberson is up there with Givens and Camp to me.

Roberson would be ahead of Greene. Roberson is up there with Givens and Camp to me.

It's close, of course, all speculation, but Greene is really special when healthy.

Crazy that all 4 main guys look like potential NFL WR - got to keep it going. NC State and Clemson are not going to let them run wild in the secondary (they will take cheap shots).

It's close, of course, all speculation, but Greene is really special when healthy.

Crazy that all 4 main guys look like potential NFL WR - got to keep it going. NC State and Clemson are not going to let them run wild in the secondary (they will take cheap shots).

Greene isn't a slot receiver. He plays on the outside. Roberson is really good in the slot.

Greene isn't a slot receiver. He plays on the outside. Roberson is really good in the slot.

He's a big slot receiver too. A lot of times you think of the slot guy as the short, smaller, quick and shifty guy. Roberson can go up and make contested catches as well.

TITCR

Also, Greene was our WR1 going into this season, right?

Yeah, I've said this before, the talent we have at WR/Slot is crazy. We lost Surratt and Dortch, we lost Greene to injury, we had a swing and a miss on Groulx and we still have the best receiving group I can ever remember at Wake and a group maybe as good as almost anybody in the country.

At the beginning of 2020- our top 4 skills players coming back were Sage, Greene, KWIII, and Nolan Groulx.
Crazy only 1 year and change later and 3 of these guys aren’t with program and Greene was lost for the season. Greene is a great player but we haven’t missed a beat on offense this year.

I think it’s hilarious that our friends in Chapel Hill chalk up their awful season to losing their 4 top skills guys from 2020 when we are 8 weeks into the season. guess what- so have we and we keep rolling. Not to mention we don’t have depth or talent they do on paper. Another testament to how crazy we are at identifying talent- especially on offense. Ellison, Roberson, Morin, and Perry were all much less heralded recruits than certainly Groulx and Greene- not to mention anyone on Carolina’s 2 deep at skill position. Our staff is so much better than the Tarholes.

The first guy Clawson hired after being named coach was Higgins, who was the head coach at the Citadel. Higgins is amazing as a coach and I hear he is as a person. He got us Greene. Hopefully he gets us Grimes. Changing the subject, Ellison and Williams were late additions to the 2019 recruiting class and were ranked near the bottom of the class. Morin committed much earlier but was not recruited by any other P5 schools. Looking at their Hudl tape, you could see they were very talented players. Very glad they slipped through the recruiting cracks and were found by our staff.

Let's glance at the Wake record books a bit.
https://godeacs.com/documents/2021/6/8//Records_2021.pdf?id=10959

Hartman has 2073 passing yards and 19 passing TDs in 7 games. Hartman is 12th in yards per game and 10th in TDs. Wolford (2017) had 3192 passing yards and 29 TDs. With at least 6 games left, Hartman should surpass those records by a large margin.

Roberson has 672 rec yards (14th) and 5 TDs (t39th). Perry has 600 rec yards (25th) and 8 TDs (t5th). Both have a shot at challenging Chris Givens' (2011) record 1330 yards and Kenny Duckett's (1980) record 12 TDs. Sage had 11 in 2019 before his injury.

Back