• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sam Hartman

You don't think the university keeps records of how much their players are making/receiving? I find that hard to believe.

I don't think the issue is limited to tax returns or tax records. I would assume the universities keep track of what their players are receiving, especially if they're coordinating with multiple NIL sources.

Schools aren't making the payments. It's private "collectives". So, boosters who don't have to report anything. There's technically not supposed to be coordination between the school and the collective, but with no enforcement mechanism, schools (in many cases) are communicating the offers to recruits/transfers but aren't holding the bag of money.

i’ve also read that schools can have contact with players reps / agents which college kids are now allowed to have (eg hartman is represented by gary vee’s firm).

but yeah no way any of this will be publicly available via the schools.

I am pretty sure schools are not "officially" coordinating with NIL collectives. And they are not employees of the school. So a public records request would not reveal the NIL money they are making

You don't think the university keeps records of how much their players are making/receiving? I find that hard to believe.
File a FOIA and see where it gets you, I guess. But, I'd have to think most of these schools' compliance offices are sophisticated enough to know to not leave a paper trail. Maybe not, though, and eventually we'll get some info about what really goes on if there's no concern about ever getting their hands slapped.

Imagine paying all that for Leary instead of Hartman. What a buncha maroons.

Most of these collectives don't have much money right now. The bigger NIL payouts are being promised to players based on having to then go raise that amount of money. You would be very surprised how little money is actually in these collectives. This was even the case with Drake Maye. Those massive offers he received through CAA for Maye's services - and that did happen - were all based on those programs having to go then raise that money based on the fact that Maye had agreed to come play at the given school. This is one of the things that can give a player like Maye some pause about transferring. A bird in the hand. The vast majority of these figures being thrown out are nowhere close to real. They are so inflated it's just hilarious. These programs/collectives are not sitting there with cash like fans seem to think they are. And most of them are virtually empty right now until they raise more and in turn dole what is raised right back out again. Its ridiculous to think that Notre Dame's collective is sitting there with $3 million cash available to pay a Sam Hartman. The only program right now that has big money for NIL is Miami.

The focus here was on elite level HS recruits, but I found the range of offers interesting.

What was the largest amount of NIL money discussed with you by a coach or NIL representative?

Player 1:
$400K a year. It was surprising, for sure, playing defensive back.

Player 2: I never had money tossed my way in any conversations.

Player 3: Somebody tried to throw $1 million at me on signing day. Somebody called my parents and coaches. My loyalty to the program I signed with isn’t worth a million dollars. I’ll make that in no time.

Player 4: I don’t want to answer that one. It was more than $1 million.

Player 5: (One) school mentioned $3.2 million over four years.

Player 8: Nobody talked NIL with me or threw money at me.

Player 10: Over seven figures. It wasn’t the coaches. It was a guy who did NIL stuff. The closer I got to the commitment, the more and more things went up.

Player 11: You’re going to look at me like I’m dumb. It was $75,000, a car and my own apartment. But I know you are not getting money if you’re bad. The school introduces you to the people who are going to pay you.

Player 12: Numbers didn’t come up, but (a few schools) talked about what I could get. Schools knew that wasn’t going to attract me, though, so they didn’t talk about it much.

Player 13: The biggest amount of money was $3 million over four years. You want to get paid for your results. It played a factor, but not as big as some people think.

Player 14: There were some big numbers, but nothing specific. It was like between $50K and $75K. With the game nowadays, it’s normal. Those prices can range depending on how much of an impact you make with the program.

Player 15: I didn’t have any numbers float my way. I had a bond with the coach and made my decision based off that.

Recruiting Confidential

Most of these collectives don't have much money right now. The bigger NIL payouts are being promised to players based on having to then go raise that amount of money. You would be very surprised how little money is actually in these collectives. This was even the case with Drake Maye. Those massive offers he received through CAA for Maye's services - and that did happen - were all based on those programs having to go then raise that money based on the fact that Maye had agreed to come play at the given school. This is one of the things that can give a player like Maye some pause about transferring. A bird in the hand. The vast majority of these figures being thrown out are nowhere close to real. They are so inflated it's just hilarious. These programs/collectives are not sitting there with cash like fans seem to think they are. And most of them are virtually empty right now until they raise more and in turn dole what is raised right back out again. Its ridiculous to think that Notre Dame's collective is sitting there with $3 million cash available to pay a Sam Hartman. The only program right now that has big money for NIL is Miami.
This makes a lot of sense. Schools (well, most schools) don't have $millions laying around to go start a new facility either. They commit to building the facility, and then raise money in order to start it (or start it and raise money to finance it). The big money guys involved in the collectives can just keep their money invested privately, and then fund the collective as necessary for agreed upon players/amounts.

they would likely be exempt from public records requests. At least at Wake the NIL procedures require looping in the school to make sure there are no conflicts / rules violations / copyright violations etc. Not sure if that "loop in" includes releasing the dollars associated in the deal. I'm sure many of the deals have variable pay rate structures so it wouldn't immediately be apparent how much an athlete would make (i.e. number of purchases resulting from clicking on a Sam Hartman beard trimmer ad).

This is a good point. I would assume that the NIL collectives are private though. People may be able to see tax returns for players at public schools after the fact though I guess.
The collectives that purport to be tax exempt (as I think I’ve said on here before, I don’t think that should pass muster with the IRS, but we’re clearly in the Wild West with all of this NIL stuff now) will have tax returns that are public, but I’m not sure that those returns would even detail individual payments to athletes. I also have no idea if Leary’s and Sam’s deals are through collectives and if so, whether those collectives are in the group that purport to be tax-exempt.

I don’t think almost anyone would agree with that.
Just to be clear we’re talking about the all time ACC passing TD leader? I think it’s pretty clear he had a far more prolific career and had more success than pretty much any Wake player ever.

Impossible to compare their careers given the context of the teams they played on. Would have been interesting had John been given the same opportunities as Sam but, but Sam’s career speaks for itself.

Just to be clear we’re talking about the all time ACC passing TD leader? I think it’s pretty clear he had a far more prolific career and had more success than pretty much any Wake player ever.

Impossible to compare their careers given the context of the teams they played on. Would have been interesting had John been given the same opportunities as Sam but, but Sam’s career speaks for itself.
Thanks to Jamie Newman transferring and a covid year....

This - It's a pointless exercise but would be interesting to see John Wolford's numbers playing 48 games with Sam's receiver cast.

And this from someone who hopes that Sam kills it next season in all but 1 game.

I Hope ND has a receiving core that is better than Wakes for Sam to be successful!

Back