• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Same sex marriage

Not a fan of this. Its going to inevitably happen everywhere. Bypassing state governments, as well as Congress, and issuing what amounts to an executive decree is just going to make this even more of a political (for lack of better term) issue.

I guess Obama is officially in fuck it all mode.

Damn. Obama decided to give a middle finger to Republicans/Putin.

Which is funny since he ran on an anti-gay marriage platform 6 years ago.

Hacks gonna hack.

It's actually not a big deal. This is the logical extension of the SCOTUS decision. The feds may recognize it anywhere, but you still have to go get gay married in a state that recognizes it in order to be gay married. The feds are recognizing the place of celebration and it would not seem to infringe upon the rights of the states at all. That is, until SCOTUS does it themselves.

This just reaffirms what the SCOTUS already said would happen. No matter where you live once you're married, you still get the federal benefits of being married. That's how I understand it anyway.

Of course it would make far more sense in my opinion to look at full faith and credit but that's a whole different topic.

Not a fan of this. Its going to inevitably happen everywhere. Bypassing state governments, as well as Congress, and issuing what amounts to an executive decree is just going to make this even more of a political (for lack of better term) issue.

I guess Obama is officially in fuck it all mode.

Agree on the inevitability, but there's also a short-term political calculation involved. Dems don't want 2014 to be another referendum on Obamacare, so this move will fire up both bases and there's a chance that a few more unelectable social conservatives will get nominated in the chaos. Terry McAuliffe wouldn't be Governor if VA GOP hadn't gone all in on social conservatives via a convention.

Yeah but I'm not sure if that will help Dems in red states or flip any gerrymandered districts.

Yeah but I'm not sure if that will help Dems in red states or flip any gerrymandered districts.

We're definitely conceding the House. We will concede it for a long, long time.

2020 isn't that far away. Fix the districts and it opens up the House.

Last national poll I saw was 58% in favor of marriage equality. Dems want to hold onto the Senate and they hope another Akin, Mourdock, or Sharon Angle pops off as a nominee in a deep red state. Also doesn't hurt the Dems if there's a hard line anti-gay marriage plank in the 2016 GOP platform. There's zero chance of a constitutional amendment ban ever passing or being ratified and the more out of touch the GOP is on social issues the better it is for Dems. Lots of liberals were pissed that Obama released his birth certificate in 2011 since they would have liked to have had GOP "leadership" spinning their wheels for at least another year appeasing the birthers.

This is smart because it heads off lawsuits claiming discrimination because one state recognizes and another doesn't and the federal government was discriminating based on state domicile.

The Democratic Party. Home of civil liberty...when it is politically expedient. When it's not, fuck you.

The Democratic Party. Home of civil liberty...when it is politically expedient. When it's not, fuck you.

And this is all you're gonna hear from now on. Get ready for a lot of "trampling on the constitution" talk. And nothing mobilizes conservatives then that.

Such a short sided move by (Premier) Obama.

Forget the politics of it. It's a good move and it makes sense. Even if there's a political calculation in it, then who cares? It's the morally right thing to do.

Back