• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Same sex marriage

Yes he should have. Until a constitutional amendment is passed making gay marriage legal, then it should remain a states rights issue.

That's how this country works.

And now I know why I could never be a Democrat, even though I pretty much agree with all of their current ideologies. Y'all really do give two fucks about the letter of the law. The Republicans aren't much better, but y'all are definitely worse about it.

If a Republican goes into the White House, should he choose to overrule the legality of marijuana in several states and just start arresting everyone who's ever purchased any weed from a state licensed dispensary?

That's the precedent this sets.

Last edited:
Yes he should have. Until a constitutional amendment is passed making gay marriage legal, then he should.

And now I know why I could never be a Democrat even though I pretty much agree with all of their current ideologies.

Yeah since constitutional amendments are such widespread occurrences right now. The majority opinion has shifted and this is just talking about how the federal government will recognize benefits for same-sex marriages. Why would a decision about federal benefits be left to the states?

What the hell are you talking about?

Do you think that this move is forcing states that don't recognize same sex marriage to extend state benefits to same sex couples?

Because it's not. It just provides federal benefits to all same sex couples. Which is a logical extension of the Supreme Court decision last summer

What the hell are you talking about?

Do you think that this move is forcing states that don't recognize same sex marriage to extend state benefits to same sex couples?

Because it's not. It just provides federal benefits to all same sex couples. Which is a logical extension of the Supreme Court decision last summer

Actually yes I did. I read a different article and I thought it said that state's benefits would be affected as well.

So I retract my argument and will now take my ball and go home.

Yes he should have. Until a constitutional amendment is passed making gay marriage legal, then it should remain a states rights issue.

And now I know why I could never be a Democrat, even though I pretty much agree with all of their current ideologies. Y'all really do give two fucks about the letter of the law. The Republicans aren't much better, but y'all are definitely worse about it.

If a Republican goes into the White House, should he choose to overrule the legality of marijuana in several states and just start arresting everyone who's ever purchased any weed from a state licensed dispensary?

That's the precedent this sets.

This decision sets the precedent for the AG, who is a member of the executive, to opt in or out of executing the laws? Wow, I for one thought that was well-established in American history. I guess I was wrong.

ETA: And yes, if a Republican goes into the White House, the DOJ could decide to prosecute individuals on charges of possessing marijuana which is illegal under federal law. That's why there's been a huge to-do about states legalizing weed in the face of the existing federal law that says the opposite.

Last edited:
Actually yes I did. I read a different article and I thought it said that state's benefits would be affected as well.

So I retract my argument and will now take my ball and go home.

How would the executive branch of the federal government tell the states what to do with their benefits?

I mean maybe they can and I just don't know about it, but I don't know of any power that the executive branch has that allows this.

Haha I'd say something, but I deserve it all. Reading comprehension Fail.

And Currin don't mock my last name. There are no Sprinkles in Texas, opposed to NC, and its gotten me some solid run.

Drop a half drunken Carolina twang and let girls find out your last name is Sprinkle. #TexasForever

#publicschoolreadingcomprehension

Don't see how this does a a whole lot other than piss off southern conservatives. Year of action = year of distraction from ACA. He is trying to get the Republicans to take their eye off the basket by waving the spirally thing in the stands while wearing a Dino suit.

Political maneuvering.

Don't see how this does a a whole lot other than piss off southern conservatives. Year of action = year of distraction from ACA. He is trying to get the Republicans to take their eye off the basket by waving the spirally thing in the stands while wearing a Dino suit.

Political maneuvering.

Other than the whole treating all same sex couples equally in the eyes of the federal government.

But yeah, pissing people off is the only reason they did this.

Political maneuvering.

good point because southern conservatives already like obama and are already pro gays.

Political maneuvering.

The fact that solid majorities of Dems and independents support marriage equality has more than a little bit to do with it too. 33% of the GOP supports marriage equality. A more conservative GOP in the South doesn't help anybody, especially GOP leadership who wants to win the White House again. Birth control pills were approved by the FDA in 1960 and Roe vs Wade was in 1973. GOP can't keep nominated candidates from popping off about rape and incest and that isn't the Dems' fault. If the base of the GOP continues to be adamantly opposed to social change, why not bait some of the true believers to make more outrageous out of touch comments? Pretty safe bet that public opinion on marriage equality isn't going to make a sudden u-turn. Sometimes good public policy and good politics aren't mutually exclusive.

As of July 2013, 59% of Democrats, 58% of Independents, and just 31% of Republicans support same-sex marriage. That's just marriage, not even legal unions.

But yeah you're right, it was probably just political and not based on the fact that a majority of American adults (58%) support marriage equality.

As of July 2013, 59% of Democrats, 58% of Independents, and just 31% of Republicans support same-sex marriage. That's just marriage, not even legal unions.

But yeah you're right, it was probably just political and not based on the fact that a majority of American adults (58%) support marriage equality.

Not arguing any points but how in the world does 59% + 58% + 31% equal 58% of all americans? That doesn't seem to add up.

Assuming we are 40/40/20 on the splits (which is probably giving more weight to independents than they deserve the percentages you just named add up to 47% supporting gay marriage.

I love vad's neg rep as well when I support equal rights for all couples. I was just commenting on the politics of the issue which is clearly just meant to change the subject.

Back