• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saturday College Football 12/3

I don't have the foggiest idea who is better between Alabama and OSU. I know LSU is the best team in the country, and at this point I'd personally rather see LSU-OSU from a fan perspective.

Those aren't "raw" numbers. They're raw in the wins column, but when it comes to "Description of the loss" they don't mention the fact that Iowa State is dog shit.

i think this year makes a stronger case for a playoff than the years that have involved multiple undefeated teams.

I don't know how you can lose to Iowa State and say that you're a better team than a team that lost in OT by a field goal to the #1 team in the country at the time.

What about this?

a 5-2 edge over Alabama in wins against the current Top 25; a 7-3 edge in wins over bowl-bound teams.

Regardless of what happens, I just hope toolbags like Dickie V stop using the tragic Oklahoma State plane crash as a reason for their loss to Iowa State. It's wrong, it's unfortunate, and it belittles the efforts of the Cyclones.

I dont disagree, Iowa State played a hell of a game

But check this quote:

No one at Oklahoma State will cheapen the memories of women's basketball coach Kurt Budke and his assistant, Miranda Serna, by using their deaths in a plane crash the night before the Iowa State game to politic the Pokes into the BCS Championship Game.

Still, there's a reason that the Cowboys blew that 24-7 lead at Iowa State. PGA Tour golfer Scott Verplank, an Oklahoma State alum, may be the biggest Pokes fan not named Pickens. Verplank made the trip to Ames with the team. As both teams warmed up Saturday night, Verplank stood on the sideline watching and recalling that Friday.

"I was in the room with them when the university president came on TV and announced it," Verplank said. "They were done. Well, I don't want to say that. But the air went out of the room. There were 80 long faces. Everybody was dragging their lip on the ground. They laid around the hotel all day. Going to the game, they were not jacked up.

"Now you could say, if you say to them at 3 p.m., 'OK, put that out of your mind. For the next seven hours, I need you to focus on this football game,'" Verplank said. "But if that gets out, then you look like a jerk. If they could have pushed back one day and everybody had reflected on what happened, it would have been a different deal. They were ahead 24-7 and on the sideline, their heads were like this." He stared at the ground.

OSU has two wins over top ten. Alabama has zero.

Alabama's resume is one that would keep 99% of teams in the country out of the BCS title game. Everyone knows it, I think, but no one is saying it. If they weren't from the SEC, SEC homers would be crowing the loudest about the weak schedule. They do every year with Boise, Utah, etc.

OSU's argument is because of stats like Alabama going 3-1 against FBS teams with a winning record vs. OSU going 7-1 against FBS teams with a winning record.

Again, it's exactly as Ph stated; it depends on if voters focus on who the losses were to rather than who the wins were over. Alabama's loss was better. OSU's wins were better, and has more good ones. There you have it.

Looking at the computer rankings used for the BCS, obviously not accounting for today's games:

Anderson & Hester
Bama - 3rd
OSU - 2nd

OSU will stay 2nd

Richard Billingsly
Bama - 2nd
OSU - 3rd

The gap here is minimal. I expect OSU to jump Bama to 2nd.

Colley Matrix
Bama - 3rd
OSU - 2nd

OSU will stay 2nd.

Kenneth Massey
Bama - 2nd
OSU - 3rd

The gap is significant, so I doubt OSU jumps bama here.

Sagarin
Bama - 2nd
OSU - 3rd

Decent gap, but I think OSU will jump Bama because they are thrashing the current #4 team in Sagarin's ratings.

Peter Wolfe
Bama - 2nd
OSU - 3rd

Decent gap, but I don't think OSU jumps Bama.

The net effect of this would be felt in the average computer ranking component of the BCS which currently has Bama 2nd and OSU 3rd. OSU will likely jump Bama in the composite of the computer rankings, meaning fewer voters will need to jump OSU over Bama to get them into the BCS title game.

Sagarin ratings are out and Bama stayed #2 with OSU still #3. That is a huge blow for Oklahoma State as I think the best they can do now is split the computer ratings with Bama.

All the computer rankings are out and Sagarin is the only one in Bama's favor. They toss the high and the low so OSU is ahead in all 4 used computers.

I missed the OSU loss but what happened with the controversial missed field goal I have been hearing some chatter about?

I get that Okie State has probably played an overall stronger schedule than Bama.

But the one thing that they can compare head to head on is teams the caliber of Iowa State since they have both played them. Alabama beat all of them, Okie State didn't. Okie State hasn't played anyone close to the caliber of LSU.

I think Bama needs to be ahead of them, and I think it will be a damn shame if people move them down just because they don't want a rematch.[/QUOTE]

Why? They already played them and lost to them at home. They had their chance. Besides, that reason is as good as any to decide your vote in this stupid arbitrary system.

On an unrelated note, my biggest pet peeve this time of year is when all the stupid ESPN analysts talk about how all this controversy and discussion is what makes college football great. So, let me get this straight. What makes college football great is that 99% of the fans think the end of the season is terrible and they voice their opinion about it? Interesting logic.

I missed the OSU loss but what happened with the controversial missed field goal I have been hearing some chatter about?

Not really controversial... a little over a minute left tied at 24 the Oklahoma St kicker hit a 37 yarder directly over the upright. That isn't supposed to count.

Last edited:
All the computer rankings are out and Sagarin is the only one in Bama's favor. They toss the high and the low so OSU is ahead in all 4 used computers.

Does that mean OSU still needs 25% of the second place votes and 75% of the third place votes?

What game are you talking about? They lost by a touchdown. They played well and lost in the final minutes to KSU...

sorry! misread score at bar. was drinking.

but i just don't see this as a close vote -though it sounds from the gurus like it will be.

Sagarin ratings are out and Bama stayed #2 with OSU still #3. That is a huge blow for Oklahoma State as I think the best they can do now is split the computer ratings with Bama.

So does that computer program weigh the one loss more than all the wins? Especially a win over a top program in that very same ranking system?

I dont get computers

So does that computer program weigh the one loss more than all the wins? Especially a win over a top program in that very same ranking system?

I dont get computers

I don't get them either. Apparently they don't have to release their methodologies, and there's basically no oversight. In one recent year, one of the polls didn't correctly input data for one game and it bungled their final rankings. Woops.

Back