• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saturday College Football 12/3

There is no college team that could handle the worst NFL team. I'm sorry, there is just no way.

I didn't say they would win. I said they would give weaker NFL teams a challenge with their defense. When you have the likes of Painter at Indy who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, YES, LSU could give them
major problems.

Anyhow, moving along. I'm still bitter we're not playing tonight as well. The out-of-bounds reception at Clemson still pisses me off.

Last edited:
There is no college team that could handle the worst NFL team. I'm sorry, there is just no way.

Yep. The difference in size and speed from college to the NFL is stunning. People forget that a lot of these kids aren't done growing when they get to the NFL. You end up with monsters like Andre Johnson who, a couple years into the league, are up to 6'3" 240 (or whatever he is), and playing wide receiver at an extremely high level.

On a related note, something sort of like this actually used to happen. For a long time from the 1930s through the 70s, the winner of the Super Bowl would play a team of college all-stars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_College_All-Star_Game

My grandfather played TE for TCU in the 30's. TCU played the Chicago Bears one year, and my grandfather was run over by Bronco Nagurski. Big Daddy, as we called him, decided he'd get married at that point, rather than get permanently injured in the NFL. This began the way I was made.

I am normally 100% on the side of the people arguing college teams can't compete with professional squads, but I actually believe that LSU or Alabama's defense could cause issues for a team headed by Curtis Painter who is handing the ball to Donald Brown.

Even the worst NFL offensive line would have no problem getting a running game going against the best college defenses. They are bigger, faster and stronger and spend 40+ hours a week honing their craft since it's their full time job.

I didn't say they would win. I said they would give weaker NFL teams a challenge with their defense. When you have the likes of Painter at Indy who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, YES, LSU could give them
major problems.

Anyhow, moving along. I'm still bitter we're not playing tonight as well. The out-of-bounds reception at Clemson still pisses me off.

I'm with you on that. This game is hard to watch. I may have to go to OK/OK State or the Big Ten game.

Even the worst NFL offensive line would have no problem getting a running game going against the best college defenses. They are bigger, faster and stronger and spend 40+ hours a week honing their craft since it's their full time job.

I am normally 100% on the side of the people arguing college teams can't compete with professional squads, but I actually believe that LSU or Alabama's defense could cause issues for a team headed by Curtis Painter who is handing the ball to Donald Brown.

Yea, the offensive lines would be a huge difference maker.

And as bad as Painter may be, Donald Brown isn't his only weapon. He can also toss it up to Reggie Wayne any time he wants. Reggie Wayne would just beast someone like Mathieu.

I think this is the most underappreciated aspect of the difference between the games, and I wonder how much it affects the type of players that excel in college as opposed to those that have long NFL careers. Pro players are only limited by their own motivation and the number of hours in the day with regard to how much they commit to their profession. I think there are a lot of players that will thrive under those circumstances that can't handle it when they're limited by the number of practice hours per week and academic requirements (as slight as those might be). And I wonder how much that accounts for the fact that so many great pro players were relative unknowns in college.

Sadly the shot of the Deacon helping light the tree hurts my feelings even more.

I may wish from time to time that Grobe was more animated, but I sure grow weary of watching Dabo on the sidelines. It's like he thinks the camera is constantly on him and he always wants to appear that he's "coaching." Shouting, pacing, clapping, frowning, waving. He's as busy as a squirrel. Take a cue from the other sideline, Coach.

seriously another missed instant replay. dump it.

Why do we even have instant replay?

No how no way no matter what would a college team compete with an NFL team. Also anyone watchin this big 10 title game? This is a damn good game.

They should just go to an American Idol style, text your opinion to XXXXX, take the minutes to tally up the votes and make a little money.

Yea, the offensive lines would be a huge difference maker.

And as bad as Painter may be, Donald Brown isn't his only weapon. He can also toss it up to Reggie Wayne any time he wants. Reggie Wayne would just beast someone like Mathieu.

Yeah though Mathieu isn't a great cover corner. Claiborne would be on him. I agree regarding physical conditioning and the OLine, I just honestly don't see a great talent disparity right now between LSU/Alabama D and some of the awful NFL offenses, especially at the skilled positions. They wouldn't actually be able to compete in a game because neither offense is good enough to stay on a field versus a NFL D.

Anyway, it's just a hypothetical, and I concede it may be a stretch, but its fun to think about because of the talent those two defenses have.

Meanwhile, there is some serious money on OSU from some OU players.

Meanwhile, there is some serious money on OSU from some OU players.

Ain't that the truth? I've been raised to hope that the Sooner Schooner breaks an axle and crashes into the team, killing everyone involved, but it's hard to get worked up about this game right now. It's like the Oklahoma players don't care.

Really Herby? Because he just started playing QB it stunted his growth as a QB...slow down Socrates.

I wouldn't touch Landry Jones in the first round. Misses way to many throws high. I'd take Luck, Barkley, and RGIII over him for sure.

Can't tell if its more Jones fault or his receivers at this point. That was about the 4th pass that has gone through someone's hands. Credit OSU for playing good D too, but it just seems like OU has packed it up and called it a year.

Back