• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Tiger says pretty much the same stuff all the other golfers say in the exact same situation.

Tiger says pretty much the same stuff all the other golfers say in the exact same situation.

Not really, most of these kids just say they didn't have their best stuff and/or didn't make enough putts...they don't seem to micro-analyze it to death. Looks like Tiger had things in pretty good perspective judging by the quotes posted by IATC above. Good to see. Not his fault he gets asked a zillion questions, but in the past he often just fell back into excuse-making where it seemed like he was reluctant to admit he wasn't feeling "sharp" or didn't trust a certain club. Perhaps that is really changing this time. But the in-between club stuff is kind of silly. Rare to get all perfect yardages through most of your round. And TW had already admitted that he's relying more on feeling his way through the round and shaping shots etc. This is certainly a good step in the "re-learning" feel curve progression.

He actually dropped this dumbass schtick for a while last year. I don't know what in the world possessed him into thinking that it was a good idea to bring it back.

just pointing out what tiger said was interesting and nobody saw it coming and if you try harder you can bring interesting insights to this board as well we're not giving up on you

facing reality = complaining about the dumb "so, why did you lose literally moments ago?" interview

nothing to complain about he just couldn't get to his numbers all day, he's one of the best evers, nobody saw it coming

Actually this "troll" is kinda spot on w/r/t El Tigre...nothing is ever really his fault when he loses. I figured he'd be lamenting not being able to get the speed of the greens right all day. To me that would make a little more sense. Plus, no one forced you to lay up on many of the par 4s, giving up 20-35 yards on some holes and having to shape longer irons into the greens.

Twill be interesting to see if he'll be able to just let it go with the driver at Bay Hill where mentally he should feel the most comfortable. He knows all the lines off the tee, but will he be able to avoid the two-way miss all week? If so, he can certainly win.

Unless he just happens to end up between clubs all weekend long. ;-)

excellent post

how is that an excuse, exactly? if you haven't had a day where your distances were wonky you've probably never broken 90

Anybody bashing Tiger over the half club comment is looking for a reason to bash Tiger.

Agreed, I'm not a Tiger fan but definitely pulling for his comeback, as I recognize how much better golf is with him back. Disagree all you want with his off the course morals but we're at a spot where the sport is begging for his return.

His real issue yesterday was his mid range putting, not sure he made a single putt between 8-20 feet. A lot of that was due to his irons being a tad off, which explains his comment, but if just one of those putts falls he never has to mention his irons.

Stupid argument either way, glad he's back. Golf needs him

it's definitely better though i do not miss the "all Tiger, all the time" nature of the surrounding commentary; maybe that'll die a bit if he wins a few times rather than seems ascendant

it's definitely better though i do not miss the "all Tiger, all the time" nature of the surrounding commentary; maybe that'll die a bit if he wins a few times rather than seems ascendant

I agree, but I thought yesterday’s coverage was pretty reasonable relative to the amount of Tiger Time. Paul Casey’s round was well covered as was Patrick Reed’s. There really was no one else on the golf course doing anything but backing up, so it’s kind of hard to critique NBC one way or the other.

I agree, but I thought yesterday’s coverage was pretty reasonable relative to the amount of Tiger Time. Paul Casey’s round was well covered as was Patrick Reed’s. There really was no one else on the golf course doing anything but backing up, so it’s kind of hard to critique NBC one way or the other.

yeah, i think it's the between-round analysis that' grates a bit. but during the broadcast you're right, it wasn't bad

Paul Casey with 21 putts is pretty incredible.

And there you have it. Tiger didn't putt nearly as well as he did in the previous rounds, but maybe he should have attacked more and not played so conservatively leaving himself so many long putts (avg of 44 feet on the first 6 holes not counting the par 5 1st). Then when he did have opportunities on 7 thru 11 -- it's not like he didn't have 4 or 5 really good looks on the day -- he missed them, as well as missing the green on the par 5 11th with a wedge (oops). You would think as sharp as his short game was all week he would have been a bit more aggressive on Sunday when he didn't really have anything to lose.

No one expected him to win this soon so why not just free-wheel it and fire at a few more flags? I don't think that course was set up for curving 7-irons into some gusting breezes but it seemed attackable with some aggressiveness off the tee due to the softened greens. All week he chose to hit more mid-irons when he could have been hitting shorter irons into some of the par 4s. At least with Rose, Sneds and Conners, they were hitting it all over the yard off the tee and playing from the heavier rough out there is tricky. But Sergio, Reed, Cink and Casey all went after it and showed the course was there for the taking. Was really surprised at how conservative Woods seemed at times, perhaps responding more to the fact that neither Rose or Conners were exploding with a birdie barrage out the gate.

for those who care, here are some of his actual comments:

That's what I remember him saying right afterwards. He wasn't as sharp with his irons so he did the logical thing and played a little more conservatively because of that. Which meant he was putting from further away. That to me seems to acknowledge he didn't have his A iron game, and I agree with Sleepy that some of y'all are making too much out of the half shot comment. I'm not a Tiger fan, and I didn't think his comments were bad. He's been taken down quite a few pegs, both in golf and his personal life. On the whole I think he's coming across humbler and more realistic than he was a couple of years ago. All of that said, congrats to Casey - I was rooting for him more than anyone else yesterday. His game has returned the last few years, and he's been a top-25 machine and has contended a number of times but just hasn't been able to finish 1st. Great to see him win again.

The iron shot of the day, though, came from Matt Wallace, who I hadn't really heard of, who hit a long iron over water from 240 out to like 15' to beat Beef in the New Dehli playoff.

Good for Pauley, been knocking on the door so many times the last few years. So that's two weeks in a row with an ASU grad in his 40's winning. Will Tiger make it 3 in a row next week for the "old man" set? Add in Bubba and that's 3 forty-somethings in the last 4 weeks and ASU has 3 wins this season with Rahm winning in Palm Springs. Would be pretty cool to see Phil, Rahm, JT, Tiger, DJ, Rose and Spieth dooking it out on Sunday of the Masters eh?

Well, I'm trying to embed the post of Fowler's Arnie shoes on PGA IG. Can't get it to work. But they are FIRE.

Back