• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Russell Knox hit about 100' worth of putts on 18 in regulation and in the playoff to win the Irish. Too bad he can't throw. I had never seen the guy he beat before this week, a Kiwi named Fox, but that dude hits the piss out of the ball - like DJ long.

Good for Na, been close a lot of times and hasn’t gotten over the hump in many years.

Good for Na, been close a lot of times and hasn’t gotten over the hump in many years.

His putting today was amazing.
Took him 8 years for his first win...……...7 more years for the win today.

I sort of pull for Na. If I remember right, he had sort of a tough deal in terms of being pushed by his father which resulted in Na turning pro at a very young age.

I sort of pull for Na. If I remember right, he had sort of a tough deal in terms of being pushed by his father which resulted in Na turning pro at a very young age.

I've never cared for the guy. He is a really strange dude.

Speaking of strange guys, I watched TGC's documentary on the van de Velde meltdown on 18 at Carnoustie last night. It was entertaining. The guy really seems to have handled that bizarre event amazingly well. Came off as very likeable.

^ that was really interesting. Lots of stories that week in addition to the 72nd hole collapse.

I'm sure it's the same for everyone that plays Carnoustie, but standing on the 18th tee and imagining pulling driver when you're up at least 2 with a chance to win the Open is just mind-boggling. His caddie should have pulled a Tin Cup and snapped his driver in half when he asked for it.

His caddie was very young at the time. To me, the bigger brain fart was after he got the break on the drive not going in the hazard. Instead of hitting a long iron and bringing the water in play, just hit wedge, wedge for bogie. And then taking 10 minutes or so to think about hitting it out of the water before finally picking it up....

I'm sure it's the same for everyone that plays Carnoustie, but standing on the 18th tee and imagining pulling driver when you're up at least 2 with a chance to win the Open is just mind-boggling. His caddie should have pulled a Tin Cup and snapped his driver in half when he asked for it.

His caddie was very young at the time. To me, the bigger brain fart was after he got the break on the drive not going in the hazard. Instead of hitting a long iron and bringing the water in play, just hit wedge, wedge for bogie. And then taking 10 minutes or so to think about hitting it out of the water before finally picking it up....

I agree with cville. I can kind of/sort of maybe saying " if I hit iron off the tee into trouble, then I've got a really long shot from trouble, so maybe I should hit driver and just try to get it out there a good distance." Not saying I agree with that, but I can see why that thought might occur to him. However, where he really screwed up was not hitting a short iron layup with his 2nd shot. Just advance the ball 100 yards or so up the fairway, hit another wedge up on the green and you've got 3 putts to win it. Even if he misses the green with his 3rd, he still would've had a chip/pitch and a 2 putt to win it. I have a very hard time putting much blame on the caddie, the player is ultimately responsible. I mean you're a freaking professional golfer, you should be able to on your own manage that situation. Even when Woosnam was penalized for having too many clubs in the bag at the Open several years ago, the ultimate blame was on Woosy. Yes, the caddie screwed up and deserved a lot of blame, but a pro should count the clubs in the bag before they tee off, especially if they had more than 14 on the range. Some guys like Tiger and Jack had the ability to excel in situations where they had to keep their wits about them in those situations and guys like Van De Velde and others just don't.

The funny thing is, Van de Velde is probably far more famous the Paul Lawrie is. The other funny thing is that he was able to make a 6 with his putter a year later, so that just shows how easily he could've managed that hole to make no worse than a 6 with 14 clubs. It's not like there was a 250 yard carry over water on that hole.

I agree with cville. I can kind of/sort of maybe saying " if I hit iron off the tee into trouble, then I've got a really long shot from trouble, so maybe I should hit driver and just try to get it out there a good distance." Not saying I agree with that, but I can see why that thought might occur to him. However, where he really screwed up was not hitting a short iron layup with his 2nd shot. Just advance the ball 100 yards or so up the fairway, hit another wedge up on the green and you've got 3 putts to win it. Even if he misses the green with his 3rd, he still would've had a chip/pitch and a 2 putt to win it. I have a very hard time putting much blame on the caddie, the player is ultimately responsible. I mean you're a freaking professional golfer, you should be able to on your own manage that situation. Even when Woosnam was penalized for having too many clubs in the bag at the Open several years ago, the ultimate blame was on Woosy. Yes, the caddie screwed up and deserved a lot of blame, but a pro should count the clubs in the bag before they tee off, especially if they had more than 14 on the range. Some guys like Tiger and Jack had the ability to excel in situations where they had to keep their wits about them in those situations and guys like Van De Velde and others just don't.

The funny thing is, Van de Velde is probably far more famous the Paul Lawrie is. The other funny thing is that he was able to make a 6 with his putter a year later, so that just shows how easily he could've managed that hole to make no worse than a 6 with 14 clubs. It's not like there was a 250 yard carry over water on that hole.

You're right, the second shot was what screwed him. I've played Carnasty twice - last time I hit it the into the Johnny Miller bunker on the right. I didn't give a second thought to trying to clear the Barry Burn in front of the green from there. But even if I had the same yardage out of the fairway, I'd have laid up. I remember I needed bogey to shoot 79 and would not have risked making six or worse by dumping it. I have a picture in my office of me and my caddie holding my scorecard with 79 on it. My second favorite course in Scotland behind Royal Troon.

You're right, the second shot was what screwed him. I've played Carnasty twice - last time I hit it the into the Johnny Miller bunker on the right. I didn't give a second thought to trying to clear the Barry Burn in front of the green from there. But even if I had the same yardage out of the fairway, I'd have laid up. I remember I needed bogey to shoot 79 and would not have risked making six or worse by dumping it. I have a picture in my office of me and my caddie holding my scorecard with 79 on it. My second favorite course in Scotland behind Royal Troon.

Nice!

In my opinion this might be true in a random fun round or from a purely tactical perspective. But this is a tournament, the pressure is massive, and if you've ever been in a similar situation and had something go awry it can jolt you.

He's all set to win, then he hits driver straight at the burn. He catches a break, but you can see by the way he covers the camera and reacts to the shot he's had that moment of shock and embarrassment hit him. It's a very common reaction after something like that happens to just want to get a full swing at the next shot, bang it up there somewhere and get out of there, which is the decision that did the most damage. But if he'd just hit a safe iron off the tee there's no opportunity to make such a decision because he's not been shaken by the horrible tee shot.

When you're winning the only goal is to keep the momentum going. You hit safe shots, favorite clubs, etc. What I mean by actually standing on that tee is that it's just so much more impactful than it is on TV - there's trouble EVERYWHERE for driver, yet there's a nice big beautiful fairway to catch even the most mediocre iron shot. Van de Velde has changed his story on pretty much every shot and every reaction since it happened - the whole "handled it well" thing is somewhat recent. The most honest take was simply that the moment overwhelmed him and his caddie as well, causing a bad decision on the tee and a hesitant swing that set off all that followed.

In my opinion this might be true in a random fun round or from a purely tactical perspective. But this is a tournament, the pressure is massive, and if you've ever been in a similar situation and had something go awry it can jolt you.

He's all set to win, then he hits driver straight at the burn. He catches a break, but you can see by the way he covers the camera and reacts to the shot he's had that moment of shock and embarrassment hit him. It's a very common reaction after something like that happens to just want to get a full swing at the next shot, bang it up there somewhere and get out of there, which is the decision that did the most damage. But if he'd just hit a safe iron off the tee there's no opportunity to make such a decision because he's not been shaken by the horrible tee shot.

When you're winning the only goal is to keep the momentum going. You hit safe shots, favorite clubs, etc. What I mean by actually standing on that tee is that it's just so much more impactful than it is on TV - there's trouble EVERYWHERE for driver, yet there's a nice big beautiful fairway to catch even the most mediocre iron shot. Van de Velde has changed his story on pretty much every shot and every reaction since it happened - the whole "handled it well" thing is somewhat recent. The most honest take was simply that the moment overwhelmed him and his caddie as well, causing a bad decision on the tee and a hesitant swing that set off all that followed.

He pretty much botched the whole thing, it's debatable what his biggest mistake was, but that's kind of like debating which turd smells the worst.

I like the caddy's response when asked about blame - something like "I got paid 7.5% of his winnings, so you can attribute 7.5% of the blame to me."

Back