• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

By all means, if you want to exclude Webb Simpson, Brandt Snedeker, Hideki Matsuyama, Sergio Garcia, Henrik Stenson and the likes from your list of the "best golfers in the world", go right ahead. Guess it is a pretty exclusive list. I tend to side with Ed Hardin on this one.

Stenson and Matsuyama are way out of form this year compared to last. Snedeker is ranked #80 in the world. Sergio has missed the FedEx playoffs due to his poor play (including 5 consecutive missed cuts). Webb is one of the best golfers in the world for 2018.

Guys that didn't play Sedgefield that are playing this week at the Northern Trust? Dustin Johnson, Brooks Koepka, Justin Thomas, Tiger Woods, Bubba Watson, Matt Kuchar, Jason Day, Kevin Kisner, Phil Mickelson, Francisco Molinari, Jon Rahm, Patrick Reed, Ian Poulter, Xander Schauffele, Justin Rose, Tony Finau, Tommy Fleetwood and Jordan Speith.

And Snedeker, Webb and Matsuyama.

That is a field of the best players in the world.

FFS the quoted excerpt from the column said the field was some of the best players in the world. Which it was. It’s a PGA tour event. I don’t think anyone is arguing it was a major/playoff quality field or contained “all” the best players.

Yeah, Greensboro falls in a tough spot on the calendar. A lot of folks play some combo of the Irish, Scottish, Open, Canadian, Firestone and the PGA, and the playoffs start the following week. Sedgefield is a nice enough course with greens that are usually fast, but it's not exactly memorable when compared to what comes before and after it.

I get the green problems in this part of the country with the ton of rain we've had, interspersed with temperatures in the 90s. Our muni, which normally has good greens for a muni, has awful greens this summer. I watched a bit yesterday, and the greens appeared to be in good shape and rolling well, so kudos to the grounds crew. Just saw a few minutes of the Swedish tourney on Saturday, and that course was in awful shape.

So does Bill Haas take advantage of his 126-200 status and try to get status by playing in the Web.com finals? Or does he just use his one-time money leaders exemption (which he might be able to use later in his career)?

Either way, one has to think this year was an aberration for him in many ways and that he will return to his top-30 ways again next year. Hope to see it, and great to see Webb have the year he has had.

I get the green problems in this part of the country with the ton of rain we've had, interspersed with temperatures in the 90s. Our muni, which normally has good greens for a muni, has awful greens this summer. I watched a bit yesterday, and the greens appeared to be in good shape and rolling well, so kudos to the grounds crew. Just saw a few minutes of the Swedish tourney on Saturday, and that course was in awful shape.

Their bermuda greens died because of the harsh winter/early spring. Bermuda loves the heat but hates the cold. Still, the crew did a pretty amazing job getting them into shape.

https://www.tsn.ca/sources-pga-plans-big-fedex-cup-changes-1.1163387

PARAMUS, N.J. — The PGA Tour is putting the final touches on a revamped FedEx Cup structure that would award a cash bonus to the leading player from the regular season, followed by a new scoring format for the Tour Championship to decide the FedEx Cup champion, The Associated Press has learned.
Five people aware of the discussions say FedEx Cup points will not be involved in the final playoff event at East Lake. Instead, the No. 1 player would start the Tour Championship at 10-under par, with scores to par staggered depending on the 30 players' position in the standings.

The winner will be the FedEx Cup champion, and the bonus is expected to be more than the current $10 million prize.
That means whoever gets the 30th spot at East Lake would have four rounds to make up as many as 10 shots. The change eliminates the awkward moment — and divided attention — of one player winning the Tour Championship and another winning the FedEx Cup, which happened last year for the second time.

Sounds pretty dumb to me.

Last edited:
You can hate Bryson DeChambeau all you want, but he is precisely what the US Ryder Cup team needs.

Not so sure. Furyk has to take Woods. And he's being pressured into taking Phil, DeChambeau and Finau. All are great golfers, and all but Phil are currently in good form. All are also reasonably long to long, but the big problem all 4 have is they're all pretty wild off the tee. Which wouldn't necessarily be a problem except they're playing the Paris course where they play the French Open. That course resembles Erin Hills but with a lot of water. It has reasonably generous fairways, a few yards of rough and then hay and/or water. Accuracy is more important there than length. That's why I'd want to have Kisner and maybe Kuchar there. Or if you do take Tiger, Phil, Bryson and and Tony, you may want to consider only playing them in afternoon 4balls.

Unsure how/why that's an "awkward moment". And I think the "divided attention" is pretty cool.

In my mind, it's DeChambeau (unfortunately), Tiger, Finau, and Phil for the Ryder Cup. I'd actually probably, based on how they're playing, replace Phil with Kisner, but I don't think you can do that based on the history, camraderie, etc. Phil doesn't have a top 10 since May.

Unsure how/why that's an "awkward moment". And I think the "divided attention" is pretty cool.

In my mind, it's DeChambeau (unfortunately), Tiger, Finau, and Phil for the Ryder Cup. I'd actually probably, based on how they're playing, replace Phil with Kisner, but I don't think you can do that based on the history, camraderie, etc. Phil doesn't have a top 10 since May.

Phil and Tiger are locks. Bryson likely a lock after his win last weekend (Tiger REALLY wants Bryson on the team, which also helps). The big question is if Kuchar's poor play means one of Finau/Kisner/even Patrick Cantlay gets on. Kuchar HAD been considered a lock by those in the know, but if Finau keeps it rolling and Kuchar continues to struggle, going to be really tough to pick Kooch.

NLU guys have basically said they have been told it's a lock to be those 4. I don't mind it, but I hate that Kis is going to miss out.

EDIT: It was actually Kutchar like was said above, not Finau. I'd much preger Finau or Kis over Kutchar. They are playing golf at this event after all, not ping pong the night before.

It's really hard to make an argument for Phil, other than he's Phil. He was playing some of the best golf he's played in years this winger/spring. But he's had a poor summer, and that course is not made for his game. Kisner, otoh, is much straighter off the tee, has been in good form this summer, is a gritty player and good putter. Adding Kisner would mean adding a guy who you could pair with most other teammates in the morning or afternoon, whereas you'd really only want to play Phil in the afternoons and with maybe fewer partners. But the same rules don't seem to apply when it comes to Tiger and Phil.

BTW, and FWIW, even though I was lumping in Finau with the other 3 as being long but not necessarily straight off the tee, I'm not hating on him. He seems to be a genuinely great guy and 1 of my favorite young Americans. Just saying that that course may not be great for him either. The course and who we're likely taking is why I'd give the Euros a slight edge going into this thing.

I think I'd go with the stroke idea over the current nonsense. Having thousands of points, then point resets, neverending scenarios of points based on a million different outcomes... Then you land in a "if this guy wins, only a few other people could beat him on points" scenario... Just ends up being a watered-down tournament and an overly complicated math problem to award $10 million. Was it two years ago that they screwed up the point totals during the final round and had the wrong scenarios up for a while?

Distributing stroke advantages through the field screws with tradition but it'd work. I'd rather they have a cut, or even 2 cuts and the final day is just 10 players. Actually what'd really be fun would be to cut it to 12 on the final day and play as 4 threesomes, with everyone mic'd up including caddies - make it a different experience for the fans to put even more focus on the players instead of some inane scoring system.

Distributing stroke advantages through the field screws with tradition but it'd work. I'd rather they have a cut, or even 2 cuts and the final day is just 10 players. Actually what'd really be fun would be to cut it to 12 on the final day and play as 4 threesomes, with everyone mic'd up including caddies - make it a different experience for the fans to put even more focus on the players instead of some inane scoring system.

yes please. Too bad I doubt the TV/Sponsor guys would never go for that.

The PGA wants the FedEx Cup deal to be like the majors and that just ain't going to happen. In non Ryder Cup years, the season feels like it's over after the PGA for many anyway and next year the British is the last major and it's a no Ryder Cup year, so for all but the diehard golf fans the season will be over mid-July. I know the giant in the room is the NFL, but I hate the majors are going to be so close together starting next year. It's a long time from mid July to April to wait for a major.

The PGA wants the FedEx Cup deal to be like the majors and that just ain't going to happen. In non Ryder Cup years, the season feels like it's over after the PGA for many anyway and next year the British is the last major and it's a no Ryder Cup year, so for all but the diehard golf fans the season will be over mid-July. I know the giant in the room is the NFL, but I hate the majors are going to be so close together starting next year. It's a long time from mid July to April to wait for a major.

I think the FedEx will be a bit bigger when it's moved back to August and not up against football. I know I'll pay more attention. As it is, the only time I pay attention to Sat/Sun afternoon golf in the fall is the RC, and to a much lesser extent the President's and Solheim Cups. I really like the new schedule - west coast swing, then 1 big event per month March-July, then FedEx and Olympics every 4 years in August. And the Players is tougher in March - I think the winds tend to be up more, which makes the water holes more interesting.

Back