• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

I think I'd go with the stroke idea over the current nonsense. Having thousands of points, then point resets, neverending scenarios of points based on a million different outcomes... Then you land in a "if this guy wins, only a few other people could beat him on points" scenario... Just ends up being a watered-down tournament and an overly complicated math problem to award $10 million. Was it two years ago that they screwed up the point totals during the final round and had the wrong scenarios up for a while?

Distributing stroke advantages through the field screws with tradition but it'd work. I'd rather they have a cut, or even 2 cuts and the final day is just 10 players. Actually what'd really be fun would be to cut it to 12 on the final day and play as 4 threesomes, with everyone mic'd up including caddies - make it a different experience for the fans to put even more focus on the players instead of some inane scoring system.

yes please. Too bad I doubt the TV/Sponsor guys would never go for that.

I think the FedEx will be a bit bigger when it's moved back to August and not up against football. I know I'll pay more attention. As it is, the only time I pay attention to Sat/Sun afternoon golf in the fall is the RC, and to a much lesser extent the President's and Solheim Cups. I really like the new schedule - west coast swing, then 1 big event per month March-July, then FedEx and Olympics every 4 years in August. And the Players is tougher in March - I think the winds tend to be up more, which makes the water holes more interesting.

I don't know. To me it will seem so quick I think. It's already a blur from the Masters to the PGA. Now, the majors will really be close together. I watch a lot of golf, so I'm not one of these people that just watch the majors, but I enjoy the majors by far more than any of the other tournaments. It will seem like it takes April forever to get her when the wait starts in July. Oh well, I'll get used to it.

Phil and Tiger are locks. Bryson likely a lock after his win last weekend (Tiger REALLY wants Bryson on the team, which also helps). The big question is if Kuchar's poor play means one of Finau/Kisner/even Patrick Cantlay gets on. Kuchar HAD been considered a lock by those in the know, but if Finau keeps it rolling and Kuchar continues to struggle, going to be really tough to pick Kooch.

I'd love to see how Kisner would play. The guy is a competitor and a good putter, but he has had some mediocre Sundays in contention.

Going to be hard to keep Finau off the team. He has been solid all year, and is playing particularly well right now.

Finau should do that thing with his ankle to freak out the Euro team.

I don't know about Bryson. Every time I watch him I think of that old movie Robo Cop....he's just so entrenched on this mechanical/metrics stuff that I wonder if he has the passion or in the moment out-of-the-box thought process needed in match play.

Finau seems to be coming on....like his game but again, don't know about match play with him.

Kuchar I think is just too conservative to me....save for of late, consistently competitive but never takes charge or takes calculated risks. Would that work in match play ?

After DeChambeau's win Sunday, he should be in. As much as he had publicly struggled the last few months, he dominated a great field knowing that a bid was on the line. Plus, he falls into the Reed category of a player most don't root for in tour events but will love come the Ryder Cup. The Euros will hate him.

I had tended to like Kisner as the fourth pick (assuming Tiger and Phil), but Finau has played well all year, particularly in the majors (3 top-10s). Give Finau the last pick.

With all that, this has to be the strongest U.S. team in decades.

I don't know about Bryson. Every time I watch him I think of that old movie Robo Cop....he's just so entrenched on this mechanical/metrics stuff that I wonder if he has the passion or in the moment out-of-the-box thought process needed in match play.

He won the US Amateur. I think he can handle match play.

Finau makes a ton of birdies and doesn't really spray it that much considering how far he hits it. He's improved his short game by leaps and bounds this year - he's pretty much an ideal fourball partner. He's posted high finishes under all kinds of high pressure conditions - I'd rather we left Phil off the team than Finau.

The current Fed Cup playoff system is pretty uninteresting. They need to get rid of one event (I think that is planned), but there isn't much to get excited about other than the $ (which is substantial).

THIS...four events is kinda dumb at this point. No one really wants nor would care if somehow a guy -- who's stuck in the range of 90-125 -- catches lightning in the bottle and won 2 events, which he would need to do to even be in contention (a la Billy Horschel in 2013) for the overall title. And I'm not sure fans were super pumped and glued to their TVs to see Billy Ho hold off whatever big names were close to contending for the Cup that season.

To me, the FedEx Cup should be a made-for-TV sort of opportunity for the PGA to showcase it's biggest names vying for its biggest monetary prize. Since it will never come close to usurping the importance of any of the four majors, they would be better served cutting the number of players eligible to play in the "playoffs", scrap the NY area event (Bethpage is getting way over done...not to say I'm not pumped to try to get there in 2024 for the Ryder Cup) and give themselves a bit more breathing room in the regular schedule leading up to the finish. Next year it is looking TIGHT and you've got events moving all over the place.

At any rate, I think diehards and casual fans would prefer a whittling of the herd down to 40 after Week 1...give the Top 125 a chance to catch fire one week and jump into the Top 40 with a win or maybe a top 3 finish. Otherwise, who cares about whether JJ Spaun or Whee Kim sneaks into the Top 70 for the current Week 3 BMW event as it is currently concocted?? Snooozzzzy time...I'd rather watch a 4 hour baseball game with wildcard at stake.

After you cut it to 40 after week 1, then you pick a great venue for Week 2 and stick with it (like East Lake actually instead of being the finale week host site). Play twosomes medal stroke play for two days with a cut. If you make it to the Top 16, you advance to the weekend of Match Play (36 hole matches since you have two full days, give players a chance to re-set and make a come back on Day 2 down 5 holes going into Sunday. That determines who qualifies for the Elite Eight of golf, which should be played on the West Coast at a great venue in prime time on Labor Day weekend.

Quarters played on Friday (no CFB), Semis on Sunday afternoon\evening (remove Saturday from the equation and you're not competing with a huge CFB weekend) and MP Finals with 18-hole consolation match on Labor Day starting at 5-6pm EST in the afternoon when everyone is full of hot dogs and beer, laying on their coach fighting a nap. Or it gives folks plenty of time to hang with friends for the afternoon grill-out and pool time, get home, shower up and settle in for a relaxed evening of exciting golf.

I'd be much more interested in some pairings like the following, if you take the current Top 16 (I actually took last week's cuz no one is excited about Cam Smith, Aaron Wise and Billy Ho moving up this past weekend):

16 Paul Casey vs Dustin Johnson

15 Patton Kizzire (I know, I know, but he won twice so come on, but Tiger would have two days at ELCC to make the cut for MP) vs 2 Justin Thomas

14 Patrick Cantlay vs 3 Brooks Koepka

13 Joh Rahm vs 4 Justin Rose

12 Tony Finau vs 5 Bubba Watson (holy Bombs Away madness!!)

11 Philly Mick vs 6 Jason Day (already this is immensely more intriguing as you don't ever get these sort of match ups at the WGC Dell Match Play)

10 Patrick Reed vs 7 Webb Simpson (see this would also help immensely as it would give return Ryder Cupper Simpson some match play to fine tune his game heading into Paris later on)

9 Bryson DeChambeau (playing for his Ryder Cup life) vs 8 Francesco Molinari (who can play team spoiler before the Ryder Cup even begins!!)

And if they want to protect the Top 4 guys for having such a great season, give them a bye to the quarters, expand it to Top 20 make the cut Friday at ELCC and go 20 vs 5, 19 vs 6, 18 vs 7, so on and so forth. This would be so much more fun, just for the match ups alone. Showcase your stars cuz you don't get the leader boards you want (occasionally in majors) often enough for the bigger events and majors.

This also might get more of the 30-50 guys play a bit more during the dog days of summer rather than breaking up their schedule so much...it behooves a European guy who needs points for the Ryder Cup to load up and go for the gusto to get into the REAL playoffs to prove their mettle and test their nerves for the upcoming international match play, ahem, exhibition.

I just don't see how something like that wouldn't be worlds better than the current, confusing snooze-fest they've cooked up for the contrived ending to the season, which then starts again in Sept\Oct anyway. Give it some extra cachet and sizzle!! Let's see the big guns launching their missiles off the tees and dropping their birdie bombs in a format that enables them to shine their brightest. Plenty of stroke play throughout the year so if we're gonna play for the silly cash at the end of the year to *crown* a FedEx Cup "champion", let's have some fun with it!!

Last edited:
I love the idea of match play - it's just so difficult to make it work when you need an individual winner. Having an 18 hole match end on the 13th hole is a nightmare for TV and in-person fans alike. Following only one match around a course for 18 holes is even more brutal. Match play works in the Ryder Cup because it's a team point total, even the WGC is typically a letdown on Sunday. It also doesn't work because running into a player who gets hot for just 9 holes can eliminate someone even if they outplayed every other player in the field. That's fun for a random tourney but not for something like the FedEx Cup.

It'd almost be cooler if they used a match play points event to reduce the field from 32 to 8 and then added 4 "tough luck" points leaders to get to the final 12 where whoever wins a couple rounds of stroke play wins the Cup. Bottom line is there's a bunch of better ways of identifying a winner than just endless re-allocations of arbitrary points.

Finau makes a ton of birdies and doesn't really spray it that much considering how far he hits it. He's improved his short game by leaps and bounds this year - he's pretty much an ideal fourball partner. He's posted high finishes under all kinds of high pressure conditions - I'd rather we left Phil off the team than Finau.

Given recent form or lack thereof, neither Kuchar nor Phil have helped themselves. As much as I detest DeChambeau, I'm resigned to him being on with his win, and Finau really deserves it with his overall year and recent performance. If I'm Furyk, I know it's not popular with fans, but I really think Kisner would be a much bigger asset to the team than Phil would be. When you consider that Tiger, Finau and DeChambeau are all really afternoon 4ball guys (Bubba too for that matter), it'd be nice to have a guy who should excel in alternate shot. With Kisner being straight and a really good putter, he'd give the team much more flexibility than Phil would. While I figure Furyk is gonna ride DJ/Koepka, Spieth/Reed and Thomas/whoever 4-5 times you still need another morning 4somes player, and Kisner fits that bill.

I don't know if this is already the case, but if they don't change anything else (aside from going from four to three tournaments) I think the least they could do is just have whoever wins the Tour Championship wins the Fed Ex so there aren't any point considerations entering the final tournament.

I don't know if this is already the case, but if they don't change anything else (aside from going from four to three tournaments) I think the least they could do is just have whoever wins the Tour Championship wins the Fed Ex so there aren't any point considerations entering the final tournament.

You must have missed the new Fed Ex Cup changes that came out a few days ago....

Back