• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

that's a remarkable way to look at the difference in viewpoints here. I am actually quite proud of being a team player, although I think that based on your tone and plenty of prior posts, you think that this is an indictment.

Definitely the case that the Haas' care about something other than money here.

I'm at a loss to figure out what this is they are standing up for. Maybe Bill's grandkids will understand better than I. Or maybe they won't.

But one thing you are dead right about: Bill and the Haas' agree with the heavy majority of Wake Forest alums. They are team players until the end.

I think Bill's grandkids will understand better than you when they are about 4 years old. I think Bill and his kid(s) can teach those grandkids the difference between right and wrong and to not be an asshat pretty early.

Let me make a suggestion. You resent Wake Forest alums and our values and relative stupidity so much that it's the most common theme in your posts. Do yourself a favor - and the majority of us Wake alums - and just completely disassociate from us. You're frustrations will end since you can't seem to change us, and you can save that $500 Deacon Club donation you make every year.

I think the anchoring ban was just another in a long list of well-intentioned but horribly executed efforts by the USGA to correct a game that was so reluctant to intervene in, well, anything for too long that way too many issues got away from them.

The goal was to ban long putters, the right answer was to limit putter length, instead we get a horribly designed "anchoring" ban that is basically unenforceable for any player wearing a shirt. They get rid of "all square" but do nothing about fairway divots. Maintained the confusion of 1 club vs. 2 club drops and options but hey, now you drop it awkwardly at knee level so problem solved... All those essentially pointless changes with months and years of deliberation instead of doing what would actually matter - dialing back the driver or ball distance.

Yeah, I wish they would do something about divots. I've always thought they should be considered GIR, they even put "divot repair mix" on carts to repair divots. A drive in the fairway you are playing should give you a good lie, yeah you might be side/up/down hill, but you should get a good lie. However, I do know it would open up a can of worms on what is considered a "divot" and when is a divot no longer a divot.

Yeah, I wish they would do something about divots. I've always thought they should be considered GIR, they even put "divot repair mix" on carts to repair divots. A drive in the fairway you are playing should give you a good lie, yeah you might be side/up/down hill, but you should get a good lie. However, I do know it would open up a can of worms on what is considered a "divot" and when is a divot no longer a divot.

Well now that the Bryson's and Reed's are out on the LIV tour, that'd be like 80% of the "that blade of grass is slightly brown so it's a divot I get to lift, clean and place it."

One odd thing is that for USGA events if they do lift clean and place, the distance you can move the ball is "less than a scorecard" since everyone has identical USGA-issued official scorecards. The PGA gives you an entire club length so you often see big improvements, especially around the green, for lift/clean/place. Just make the wording that the ball is noticeably below the normal surface of your own fairway. Have one player in your group verify. Lift, do not clean, place the ball within 6" of the divot no closer.

I get the "it'd be too subjective" argument to some extent, but the rules of golf are absolutely packed to the gills with judgments left mostly to the player and their sense of fairness/honor. The other issue is that sure, on PGA Tour courses you don't usually see that many divot lies in critical moments. Yeah well they have a billion people manicuring the course morning and night to ensure every divot is filled, weekends have small fields, etc. Those rules filter down to all other levels of play, and I've played in events where players were intentionally missing fairways because landing areas had so many deep, completely unfilled divots that were basically one-shot penalties if you found one.

How do you change the "stones in bunkers" rule but not divots...

Definitely the case that the Haas' care about something other than money here.

I'm at a loss to figure out what this is they are standing up for. Maybe Bill's grandkids will understand better than I. Or maybe they won't.

But one thing you are dead right about: Bill and the Haas' agree with the heavy majority of Wake Forest alums. They are team players until the end.
Lol the image of you absolutely racking your brain to think of something other than money that people might care about is pretty hilarious to me.

You post like such a stereotype of a person that values themselves solely based their net worth that I struggle to tell if some of your posts are trolling. For your sake I certainly hope they are

Well now that the Bryson's and Reed's are out on the LIV tour, that'd be like 80% of the "that blade of grass is slightly brown so it's a divot I get to lift, clean and place it."

One odd thing is that for USGA events if they do lift clean and place, the distance you can move the ball is "less than a scorecard" since everyone has identical USGA-issued official scorecards. The PGA gives you an entire club length so you often see big improvements, especially around the green, for lift/clean/place. Just make the wording that the ball is noticeably below the normal surface of your own fairway. Have one player in your group verify. Lift, do not clean, place the ball within 6" of the divot no closer.

I get the "it'd be too subjective" argument to some extent, but the rules of golf are absolutely packed to the gills with judgments left mostly to the player and their sense of fairness/honor. The other issue is that sure, on PGA Tour courses you don't usually see that many divot lies in critical moments. Yeah well they have a billion people manicuring the course morning and night to ensure every divot is filled, weekends have small fields, etc. Those rules filter down to all other levels of play, and I've played in events where players were intentionally missing fairways because landing areas had so many deep, completely unfilled divots that were basically one-shot penalties if you found one.

How do you change the "stones in bunkers" rule but not divots...

Great post, completely agree.

Bill Haas has made over $30 million in purses in his career (#42 all time). Would guess his endorsement income has been something close to that. Love that he passed on nuzzling up to the Saudis, and the biggest assholes that play professional golf for money that he doesn't need.

Mad respect for Haas for continuing to grind it out on the Tour. He has only a few more events to get back into the top 125. Hope he makes it, but even if it doesn't, so proud that he is a Deacon.

I think Bill's grandkids will understand better than you when they are about 4 years old. I think Bill and his kid(s) can teach those grandkids the difference between right and wrong and to not be an asshat pretty early.

Let me make a suggestion. You resent Wake Forest alums and our values and relative stupidity so much that it's the most common theme in your posts. Do yourself a favor - and the majority of us Wake alums - and just completely disassociate from us. You're frustrations will end since you can't seem to change us, and you can save that $500 Deacon Club donation you make every year.

This is what they want at Wake Forest. Keep up, shut up. Don't call for change. Accept decades of losing.

If you call for change, they want you to just go away.

PGA Tour and DP Tour have announced a strengthened partnership that basically has the PGA Tour owning 40% of the DP Tour now.

Good luck to the LIV players getting OWGR points.

PGA Tour and DP Tour have announced a strengthened partnership that basically has the PGA Tour owning 40% of the DP Tour now.

Looking like those with exemptions as a recent major winner (DJ, Mickleson, Bryson, Brooks) will keep getting the major invites based on that ground until their eligibility expires, but the other LIV players aren't getting in to majors as their OWGR drops. That's not earth-shaking though as the vast majority of the LIV players (Wolff, Schwartzel, Oostie, Garcia) have had crap years, and some were on course to not qualify anyway, if they had stayed on the PGA or DP Tours. Don't expect the Masters or the PGA to outright ban LIV players, but they aren't going to make it easier for them to play in majors by getting credit for winning a crap 48 man 54 hole event against a depleted field.

Guessing that the USGA and R&A will allow the LIV players to try to qualify for those tournaments under the existing qualifying criteria, while the Masters and the PGA will just let the OWGR rankings decide the invites (with LIV Tour not getting any points for those events).

Last edited:

As a fan of the Euro tour, this is welcome news.

The Saudis really messed up with the LIV. They're paying over $1bil this year for a terrible product that isn't even televised. If they wanted to use golf to sportswash, the much smarter play would have been to approach the DP and offer a partnership where they would have doubled the payouts of smaller Euro events. That would have been hard for the DP to turn down, and they would have paid < $100mil for that partnership. Then they would have had way more sustainable business model, whereas the LIV has no business model.

As a fan of the Euro tour, this is welcome news.

The Saudis really messed up with the LIV. They're paying over $1bil this year for a terrible product that isn't even televised. If they wanted to use golf to sportswash, the much smarter play would have been to approach the DP and offer a partnership where they would have doubled the payouts of smaller Euro events. That would have been hard for the DP to turn down, and they would have paid < $100mil for that partnership. Then they would have had way more sustainable business model, whereas the LIV has no business model.

No, this is the smartest business plan. He who has the most money, wins. The end.

Back