• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

I used to root for Lexi, but now I root for her to choke. That's 2 weeks in a row she's blown a lead on the back 9 on Sunday, and again missed 2 putts inside of 4' on the back. She's the most talented female in the game from the neck down. And the folks on TGC are always trying to cover for her.

Tough Sunday for Kupcho, but nice for her to be in contention yet again this year. I really think the change in latitude is the reason for her improved play this year. She's now #9 in the world.

I used to root for Lexi, but now I root for her to choke. That's 2 weeks in a row she's blown a lead on the back 9 on Sunday, and again missed 2 putts inside of 4' on the back. She's the most talented female in the game from the neck down. And the folks on TGC are always trying to cover for her.

Tough Sunday for Kupcho, but nice for her to be in contention yet again this year. I really think the change in latitude is the reason for her improved play this year. She's now #9 in the world.

I think she needs to contact Beth Daniel and get her to teach how to use the long putter, without anchoring of course.
beth-daniel-lines-up-a-putt-during-the-third-round-of-the-lpga-ultra-picture-id97945575

Long putter ain't fixing Lexi. It's not just the short misses. My favorite is she hit 2 great shots on 18 and had a 10-11' birdie putt to tie. She left it short. She's worse than Norman. Norman only choked in majors but was great in non-majors. Lexi doesn't discriminate. If she's in the lead on any Sunday, count on 3-6 bogies on the back 9.

Long putter ain't fixing Lexi. It's not just the short misses. My favorite is she hit 2 great shots on 18 and had a 10-11' birdie putt to tie. She left it short. She's worse than Norman. Norman only choked in majors but was great in non-majors. Lexi doesn't discriminate. If she's in the lead on any Sunday, count on 3-6 bogies on the back 9.

It might not fix all her putting problems, but if it can keep her from missing near tap-in's, it would be a major improvement.

It might not fix all her putting problems, but if it can keep her from missing near tap-in's, it would be a major improvement.

I tried 1 of those long putters and a belly putter at a golf store 1 time, and I couldn't putt it remotely as well with either. I get anchoring. For years, I've anchored it against the inside of my left forearm. But I don't get how those long putters would help you with anything other than increased distance when dropping within 2 club lengths.

I tried 1 of those long putters and a belly putter at a golf store 1 time, and I couldn't putt it remotely as well with either. I get anchoring. For years, I've anchored it against the inside of my left forearm. But I don't get how those long putters would help you with anything other than increased distance when dropping within 2 club lengths.

I've used the long putter anchored and unachored at times and in my experience (yours may differ) it makes little difference whether you anchor it or not. For some people it can help their putting a lot. Ask Bernard Langer, Scott McCarron and Adam Scott. Lexi certainly has nothing to lose in trying it. I mean what's the worst that could happen, she misses some embarrassingly short putts? BTW, I don't think you can use the long putter in determining your 2 club lengths.

Crazy that Lexi was 2 strokes better putting than the winner (31 putts vs 33 putts). She actually made a few solid putts early in the back 9 before the meltdown. 100% mental, probably doesn't matter what she changes, her brain will find a way to yip her putting stroke until she fixes her mindset.

As for the long/belly putters, particularly when you could anchor them - if you work on getting it to not feel totally alien to you, lots of people who stick with it have a revelation-level practice session where you just make everything. In particular you can get locked in and repeat a stroke so easily - I remember making like 20 consecutive 15 footers, felt automatic. Easy to get caught up feeling like if you can just get your distances solidified you could make putting just about reading the green.

I have zero respect for any man who anchors a long putter.

It's the Duke basketball of golf moves.

Crazy that Lexi was 2 strokes better putting than the winner (31 putts vs 33 putts). She actually made a few solid putts early in the back 9 before the meltdown. 100% mental, probably doesn't matter what she changes, her brain will find a way to yip her putting stroke until she fixes her mindset.

As for the long/belly putters, particularly when you could anchor them - if you work on getting it to not feel totally alien to you, lots of people who stick with it have a revelation-level practice session where you just make everything. In particular you can get locked in and repeat a stroke so easily - I remember making like 20 consecutive 15 footers, felt automatic. Easy to get caught up feeling like if you can just get your distances solidified you could make putting just about reading the green.

She's okay to fine in the 10-20' range. But her speed isn't particularly good on long putts, often leaving a 4-8' putt, and it's less than 5' where she really has her problems.

Yeah, those long putters just felt awful to me. But I've heard some people rave about them.

I think what's happened with anchoring ban is that it's changed how guys are putting with them. When anchored you hold it against your chest and use the anchor point as a hinge and let you lower arm just swing it back and through. Now without being able to anchor guys are holding the end close to their chest and using that "closeness" to their chest to enhance the feel of the putter staying in line with the middle of their chest as they turn their shoulders back and through to make the stroke. So, I think what's happened is the anchoring ban has forced the guys using the long putter to make more of a traditional shoulders and arms putting stroke. In that regard the anchoring ban was a good move. The only issue I have with it is the vague guidance on what is not considered anchoring. I think I've read that your top hand touching your shirt or even lightly touching your chest may not be considering anchoring. It's totally up to the player to not "anchor" the putter because when you can hold it that close, nobody is going to be able to tell if it's really anchored or not. That is what has really kept me from using the long putter much at all since the anchoring ban. I can putt pretty good with it, but I don't want anybody accusing me of anchoring the putter. When I have used it, I make it a point to leave some space between my shirt and the end of the putter.

I agree on her mindset. You could tell she was going to miss that first short putt she missed on the back nine yesterday by the look on her face. I mean it was 18 inches and as she was walking up to it, I was thinking she was going to miss it. Still, if I were her, I'd give it a shot.

Last edited:
I think the anchoring ban was just another in a long list of well-intentioned but horribly executed efforts by the USGA to correct a game that was so reluctant to intervene in, well, anything for too long that way too many issues got away from them.

The goal was to ban long putters, the right answer was to limit putter length, instead we get a horribly designed "anchoring" ban that is basically unenforceable for any player wearing a shirt. They get rid of "all square" but do nothing about fairway divots. Maintained the confusion of 1 club vs. 2 club drops and options but hey, now you drop it awkwardly at knee level so problem solved... All those essentially pointless changes with months and years of deliberation instead of doing what would actually matter - dialing back the driver or ball distance.

it's almost like he thinks that money isn't everything, unlike ambulance chasers

Definitely the case that the Haas' care about something other than money here.

I'm at a loss to figure out what this is they are standing up for. Maybe Bill's grandkids will understand better than I. Or maybe they won't.

But one thing you are dead right about: Bill and the Haas' agree with the heavy majority of Wake Forest alums. They are team players until the end.

Back