• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

The funniest argument I have seen here is "But the PGA Tour had to make it us vs them with the LIV". Goddang that cracks me up!

On what basis would they be filing in Palm Beach County as opposed to St. John’s County where the Tour is actually located?

Also, why would they not be filing a federal court?

I will hang up and listen.

I guess if Phil waits and puts in to play in the Honda and he’s denied entry, then he could file in Palm Beach and claim that is the county where the action occurred.

I guess if Phil waits and puts in to play in the Honda and he’s denied entry, then he could file in Palm Beach and claim that is the county where the action occurred.

IOW, where is he most likely going to get a Trump appointee to the bench?

Nothing gets the blood flowing like a good civil suit jurisdiction debate. Donnie G, any chance your special guest appearance on PGA Tour radio might be archived somewhere?

Once again. pretty easy to tell the Trumpsters ve. Nontrumpsters on this thread. DR & Company chase dough like Don and everyone else tries to maintain civility which is a dying art.

Go to the Dick boards and fuck yourself DR

I am not involved with Phil's case. But as I said last week on PGA Tour radio, I would anticipate a filing in Palm Beach County when Phil trys to enter the Rocket Mortgage and is blocked in a few weeks. We have unquestionable jurisdiction there, and it's a very favorable venue.

Please enlighten us as to the legal argument to be presented in this imminent filing? Phil is a member of the Tour and the Tour has rules, bylaws, eligibility requirements etc. I feel certain you have read all of those. Phil would undoubtedly be bound by all of those. So I would assume the argument would have to be that the Tour's rules are illegal somehow - like an illegal restraint of trade or something? If you think they have such a strong case, lay it out for us.

LIV players banned from Scottish Open

There goes that jealous PGA Tour again.

I do think the Saudis have a plan to make money. DR has not shared with us all of the details of the contracts (though some), but it likely turns on who ultimately receives a player's sponsorship money. If the Saudis get it, they could potentially cover the up-front payments and then some. And if they brand each team, that would create more sponsorship opportunities as a league. I would love to know what strings, if any, are attached to the up-front payments. Surely there are some significant requirements to keep that. Because I strongly suspect the PGA Tour will ultimately allow any LIV player to return, subject to a certain period of time where they cannot play either tour/league (6-12 months?).

But this all seems to turn on their ability to grab enough competitive players. If they have done so within 6-12 months, they may have a chance to profit. If not, good luck with that.

The Saudis aren't in this to make a profit.

Their investment fund has over $600 billion; the Saudi families that run the show are worth over $1 trillion. They don't care if they break even or can turn a profit. This isn't about that. There are countless better ventures that paying 52 year-old Phil Mickelson, DJ, Bryson. Brooks, and Kopeka $1 billion+ to play a handful of golf tournaments over the next few years.

Plus, to turn a profit that means that the Saudi's have to receive more revenue than the pay to the golfers to quit the PGA an DP tours (which is approaching $2 billion), to fund the purses for each tournament (which are richer than any PGA event), to rent the golf courses and all of the related overhead to run a Tour. Those expenses are exponentially higher than PGA Tour's expenses, and the PGA Tour is dipping into its reserve fund to keep the current players on tour. The entire Saudi strategy is to NOT make a profit: it's to make it so expensive to keep the top rated golfers that the PGA Tour capitulates and enters into an agreement that merges the tours.

So what's the Saudi end game of a merged tour? What does that even look like?

So what's the Saudi end game of a merged tour? What does that even look like?

Among other things, the Saudis would probably like to own the PGA Tour (which would probably become the PGW -- Professional Golfer's World Tour), which would include the best golfers playing events, rather than exhibitions, something like the PGA Championship, on a Saudi golf courses with the House of Saud presenting the Trophy. Over time, the thought would also be to develop Saudi connections with the international businesses that are invested in golf. Also, to get sports fans around the world thinking about Saudi Arabia, not as backward oppressive country. It's the same reasoning as to why Qatar paid billions and built stadiums which mostly will never be used after this year to host the World Cup 2022.

LIV will pay this pocket change fine the PGA Tour strong armed the DP world tour put on these players.

So that accomplishes nothing except (1) pissing off the players and (2) incentivizing the Saudis to spend even more know how pissed off it is making the west.

LIV players banned from Scottish Open

It looks like the reasoning is they're banned from the Scottish because it's a co-sanctioned event with the PGA. The blurb on TGC then said “that participation in a further conflicting tournament or tournaments without the required release may incur further sanctions.” Not sure what that means. Not sure that the DP knows exactly what that means yet. So LIV guys from the DP tour may be banned from certain events but not all events? At least it's a good 1st step.

LIV will pay this pocket change fine the PGA Tour strong armed the DP world tour put on these players.

So that accomplishes nothing except (1) pissing off the players and (2) incentivizing the Saudis to spend even more know how pissed off it is making the west.

Here you go again, thinking like a 12 year old. "That pisses off so and so. So they do X! Isn't that cool? And golly they love how it feels to know they are pissing them off!" It's almost like imagining these entities as pissed off turns you on. It is fucking weird. Its like you're into some sort of weird S&M fantasy with business entities. Dude, find a way to get laid soon. I mean SOON. It will help you and these boards immensely. But anyway holy shit that is NOT how the business world works. It might with rival lemonade stands in your neighborhood. But we are dealing with adults and really rather than that, business entities. They don't deal in "pissing off".

Alright. That's it. I am not responding to anything this guy posts again. Its making me crazy.

Last edited:
Back