• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

It's not a bad look for the PGA Tour when a player goes to LIV, it's a bad look for the player that does it.

Except in the case of the Matt Jones. Wherever that knock-kneed guy plays instantly becomes the preeminent tour. Dude has cacheT

edited to fix my typo

Last edited:
Anyone who believes this whole "people should just bow down and let the rich folks have their way" needs to stick it up their ass. I hope a lawyer defending their client against an insurance company doesn't take that approach.

What a miserable scared way to live life.

You're a dumbass. You know full well I don't back down from no one. That's why I'm where I am.

But the easier way to take folks money is to not tell them you are coming. Taunt when they are behind you. Here the PGA Tour taunted and called criminals of the rich fella. The rich fella then intentionally pummeled them--as rich folks will do when you awake them from their slumber.

Viewership has not a damn thing to with attendance.

Of course the Wyndham in near the bottom in viewership nationwide. It is a bottom 1/3 fied.

Why do people in Greensboro attend one of the worst events on tour in such great numbers ? Is Wet n' Wild Emerald Pointe Water Park closed that weekend in support of the event ?

You have to have tiers of tournaments or else the big ones wouldn't be the big ones. You have to have Jacksonville Jaguars vs the Texans. You have to have the Magic vs the Kings. Sports has to work that way. There isn't a sport that doesn't. So I dont know what the point of this discussion is about the Wyndham.

You have to have tiers of tournaments or else the big ones wouldn't be the big ones. You have to have Jacksonville Jaguars vs the Texans. You have to have the Magic vs the Kings. Sports has to work that way. There isn't a sport that doesn't. So I dont know what the point of this discussion is about the Wyndham.

Exactly. The worst PGA events occur when they know they don't want to go up against football and when the DP has some premier events.

It's not a bad look for the PGA Tour when a player goes to LIV, it's a bad look for the player that does it.

Except in the case of the Matt Jones. Wherever that knock-kneed guy plays instantly becomes the preeminent tour. Dude has cache

I had to clear my cache this morning.

Viewership has not a damn thing to with attendance.

Of course the Wyndham in near the bottom in viewership nationwide. It is a bottom 1/3 fied.

It's not anywhere near the top in attendance either.

It's not anywhere near the top in attendance either.

I followed John Huh, Michael Thompson, and Retief Goosen a few years ago at Sedgefield for about half the round because I knew Huh's caddie at the time.....it was me, John's brother, and Michael's wife following the group.....that was it. (felt a little bad for multi-major winner Retief that he had no fans following that day).

Not trying to bag on the Wyndham because I love going there and it accomplishes what it sets out to do most years (family friendly event that offers a decent field considering where it is on the calendar), but if DR thinks it is at the "top" of any attendance rankings on the PGA tour (other than the one year Tiger showed up in 2015), he must have been looking at the list upside down.

Well you have to keep in mind that folks in the Carolinas have gotten to see a lot of golf over the years. The Wells Fargo in Charlotte, the Wyndham (GGO) for many years, majors at Pinehurst, Kiawah, etc. Some of the tour events that go to areas that its the only way they can go see professional golf do the best with attendance.

If ya'll regularly walked the fairways at the Honda, Bay Hill, Tampa, Hilton Head, Vegas, Hartford, and even the other 17 holes at Phoenix, you would have a different perspective.

Heck, but then again, I've spent 20 years arguing here with folks who have been to 3-4 college hoops venues Ever (not a week mind you....ever)

Clearly I am outsmarted here.

You discredited your argument when you claimed to have been to more tour stops than the PGA Tour commish.

All I can do is laugh at "the other 17 holes at Phoenix."

YOU claimed the Wyndham was at the top of the tour for attendance. A not unsurprising exaggeration, and one that cannot be supported by any empirical evidence, let alone common sense.

But I do love our little local tour stop where there are always free tickets and you can get up close to see some great players like Webb Simpson and Matt Jones.

Wyndham is near the top in attendance.

See y’all in Bedminster I hope. I gotta go to work.

This slow motion suicide is interesting to watch. Golf is not viewed by many people. Soccer in the USA is viewed by four times people that watch golf. That's just getting started. Golf maybe the 8th most viewed sport. WWE gets more viewers. Two competing Pro Tours just ruins both. But have at it. I like Golf viewing. But less is coming.

Wyndham is near the top in attendance.

See y’all in Bedminster I hope. I gotta go to work.
Almost thought about going until the owner of the course was revealed as trying to overthrow the government of the United States, and was hard to mentally encapsulate because I was concentrating on gym size as all encompassing on winning basketball games.

Anything can be overcome with a good business plan.

We drive German and Japanese cars.

Problem is LIV has no business plan other than to steal Saudi $$ and play unwatchable exhibitions.

Making 10-15 times what you'd make going forward on the PGA Tour seems like a pretty good plan to me. But what do I know.

As to whether the Saudis will ever make money out of this, I doubt it. But I've been wrong before about what makes money and so have all of you. Of course, if they end up owning golf maybe they will. I don't know. I'm not smart enough to run a third world country.

Somebody in Saudi Arabia at some point generations was really, really smart to lock down that land and coincince the rest of the world to need oil. We clearly aren't real smart for being so reliant on them.

The market pretty much determines who is smart and who isn't.

Back