• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

So who else was yelling at their TV yesterday for Will to pick up the damn ball on the last playoff hole?

Forbes has had an impressive start at Wake.

A great 5-7 year run next would emphasize the problem. Forbes due to age and condition will not be the Wake coach in 15 years. There are no massive payoff years if he does start winning. There is nothing new about my position on this. I have only been saying it for 25 years here.

All the greats are hired in their 30s. Not because 55 year olds aren't great. Just because they have no time for the payoff years.

John Pelphrey was 33. Now he's 54.

Cam Smith is now officially joining LIV and withdrew from the Wilmington tourney citing a physical issue. That's good for golf. Another win, and he could have been POY.

As for today's meeting, I hope the PGA takes stronger action against LIV and not looking for a compromise.

That guy should take the $100 million for sure. I think he was a 3-4 year top level player max - as most who reach that plateau are. He probably knew it but regardless he took the money and in his case he should have. He sold his business at it's absolute peak.

I hope the PGA Tour players show what they are made of after this meeting. Go get em Tiger.

How long are LIV contracts for? Is this $100M signing bonus on top of the usual payouts? Or $100M over a specific period of time?

How long are LIV contracts for? Is this $100M signing bonus on top of the usual payouts? Or $100M over a specific period of time?

I think it's a 3 year contract. Not sure, but I think they pay it up front. Though with many of the contracts, they take your winnings and apply them to the large initial award.

Guitar, I gotta disagree with you about Smith. Dude has been the best putter on the planet for a while, but he used to be a wild driver of the ball and wasn't that long. He's gotten better off the tee over the last couple of years, hence his rise. I think he could have stayed in the top 20 for a few to several years. But not now.

Cam Smith is a great player, and at 28, he's is still on the rise. With this year's Open title, he's qualified for all the majors for at least 5 years (no matter what happens with LIV and golf rankings, past champions exemptions will almost certainly be honored). If there is anyone that could play on LIV and still win a major, it's Smith. FWIW, his game seems particularly well-suited for Augusta. His last 3 Masters finishes are: 2nd, 10th, 3rd. Hate for the PGAT to lose him. Sad.

Forbes has had an impressive start at Wake.

A great 5-7 year run next would emphasize the problem. Forbes due to age and condition will not be the Wake coach in 15 years. There are no massive payoff years if he does start winning. There is nothing new about my position on this. I have only been saying it for 25 years here.

All the greats are hired in their 30s. Not because 55 year olds aren't great. Just because they have no time for the payoff years.

wait - you're saying that if we win the ACC three times and 2 final fours in the next 7 years, that's BAD?

Seems like unc is happy with having hired old ass Roy Williams but maybe they’re just too blind to see the problem.

What I’m struggling to spit out is that Cam Smith in all likelihood - because it’s just hard to stay at the top for long - probably had just a few more years as a top player. Not as a potential top 20 area player and I guy that could win majors, but as a guy that threatened to be a top 5 world player. Golf is just so hard to keep firing on all cylinders. He has the game today but golf at that level is just so damn hard. Only the best of the best stay at the top for very long.
T
If he was confident he would be a guy that could do that, he wouldn’t have sold out. He’s now made it more difficult (and that’s his best case scenario) to compete in majors and he’s not going to be getting $10MM a year in PGA winnings. I think it says a whole lot about a player’s self confidence for a guy who appears to be on the rise and still young at 28 to sell out and go to LIV. I’m not showing much confidence in his rise now because it’s clear to me he isn’t. Just my armchair take.

What I’m struggling to spit out is that Cam Smith in all likelihood - because it’s just hard to stay at the top for long - probably had just a few more years as a top player. Not as a potential top 20 area player and I guy that could win majors, but as a guy that threatened to be a top 5 world player. Golf is just so hard to keep firing on all cylinders. He has the game today but golf at that level is just so damn hard. Only the best of the best stay at the top for very long.
T
If he was confident he would be a guy that could do that, he wouldn’t have sold out. He’s now made it more difficult (and that’s his best case scenario) to compete in majors and he’s not going to be getting $10MM a year in PGA winnings. I think it says a whole lot about a player’s self confidence for a guy who appears to be on the rise and still young at 28 to sell out and go to LIV. I’m not showing much confidence in his rise now because it’s clear to me he isn’t. Just my armchair take.

What does his girlfriend/wife look like? Any athlete with an ugly/wife girlfriend has no confidence. I learned that from watching Moneyball.

T

Cam Smith is in a different position than guys like Justin Thomas, Scheffler, Speith and Morikawa. Smith is from Australia. The PGAT, while big in Australia, is still a foreign tour. LIV is a foreign tour too. Also, with Norman as the point person from the LIV Tour, Norman can work the Aussie angle too (which is why Marc Leishman is also expected to jump), which may offset the Saudi angle on this. Bottom line is that playing in run of the mill PGAT events is less of lifelong dream for Smith than it would be for a US born golfer. Smith came to the US to make money to play golf. LIV offers easy money to play less golf (spend more time Down Under). Maybe I'm just soft when it comes to Cam Smith, but I can't kill him for leaving the PGAT for LIV. Seems different to me than Dustin, DeChambeau, Koepka and the evil Phil Mickelson who turned their back on their own country's tour.

I’m not killing him either Pilch. At all. Heck i posted a few posts above that he did what he should have done. And absolutely a big factor in my saying that was that he’s not American.

He does live in Florida, like many of the foreign guys who chose to play PGA Tour full time. Or has a house there at least. How can you say how long any of the top players will stay on top? Look at Koepka, although injuries played a role.

The PGA Tour definitely does not want to lose Cameron Smith. He is a star young player on the rise, which differentiates him from, well, most of LIV. That is a loss for sure in terms of quality and resume, especially considering he is 28 years old.

At the same time, the PGA Tour will also to continue to exist just fine without Smith. He is not a draw for fans and does not have the star appeal. But on balance, it would be much better for the PGA Tour's future if he stayed given his potential to win big events on a regular basis going forward. Now he will play in crap outings.

Back