• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Reed probably can't wait to play events in the Middle East. "What'd you call me? Hey Ahmed go beat the shit out of that guy. And his girlfriend."

It’s really great that Tiger is taking such a leadership role in this thing. But how many times you think a PGA Tour player has mumbled under their breath “Yeah well thats easy for him to say”.

Reed probably can't wait to play events in the Middle East. "What'd you call me? Hey Ahmed go beat the shit out of that guy. And his girlfriend."

OTOH, cheaters and thieves lose appendages there so maybe not.

It’s really great that Tiger is taking such a leadership role in this thing. But how many times you think a PGA Tour player has mumbled under their breath “Yeah well thats easy for him to say”.

While true, no one's technically gotten screwed by the compensation system more than Tiger. But that being said, he's doing just fine.

Which makes a good point. Endorsements have typically been the way to get big money for just showing up. Tiger mastered that.

The difference is that a current PGA player who accomplishes half of what Tiger did is going to make a shit ton more money that Tiger did, directly from the tour, because of Tiger and the guys who helped change the system over the past couple of decades.

Phil could have been a co-elder statesman for the PGA Tour with Tiger for the next 25+ years but he threw it all away. Hell, Tiger vs. Phil would given Champions a huge boost too. They would have been Jack and Arnie.

The difference is that a current PGA player who accomplishes half of what Tiger did is going to make a shit ton more money that Tiger did, directly from the tour, because of Tiger and the guys who helped change the system over the past couple of decades.

Yes, which is why they should listen to Tiger.

Phil could have been a co-elder statesman for the PGA Tour with Tiger for the next 25+ years but he threw it all away. Hell, Tiger vs. Phil would given Champions a huge boost too. They would have been Jack and Arnie.

Tiger is never going to play the Champions Tour. I could see him possibly playing in the occasional senior major on a course that suits him, assuming his health even allows that.

Tiger is never going to play the Champions Tour. I could see him possibly playing in the occasional senior major on a course that suits him, assuming his health even allows that.

Agree. IIRC, Tiger is tied with Bobby Jones for most USGA titles at 9 (3 US Jr. Am, 3 US Am, 3 US Open). If Tiger is healthy, guessing he wouldn't mind a US Senior Open to get to double digits.

Lol.

I guess the money meant a lot more to Phil than his legacy, because he threw his legacy away as far as I'm concerned and I was always a Phil fan.

liveanddie have you read the Shipnuck book? Its interesting. I think one thing a reader gleans is that Phil actually likely needed that money. Which is astonishing. To at least get back to being a rich man.

Phil book was very interesting, I'd recommend it as well. He's one hell of an entertainer, I'll give him that. He may be a prick but he knows how to have fun.

liveanddie have you read the Shipnuck book? Its interesting. I think one thing a reader gleans is that Phil actually likely needed that money. Which is astonishing. To at least get back to being a rich man.

No, I haven't, but I will. Blows your mind how somebody can go through that kind of money, just like Mike Tyson did.

Cam Smith is in a different position than guys like Justin Thomas, Scheffler, Speith and Morikawa. Smith is from Australia. The PGAT, while big in Australia, is still a foreign tour. LIV is a foreign tour too. Also, with Norman as the point person from the LIV Tour, Norman can work the Aussie angle too (which is why Marc Leishman is also expected to jump), which may offset the Saudi angle on this. Bottom line is that playing in run of the mill PGAT events is less of lifelong dream for Smith than it would be for a US born golfer. Smith came to the US to make money to play golf. LIV offers easy money to play less golf (spend more time Down Under). Maybe I'm just soft when it comes to Cam Smith, but I can't kill him for leaving the PGAT for LIV. Seems different to me than Dustin, DeChambeau, Koepka and the evil Phil Mickelson who turned their back on their own country's tour.

Yeah, I’m going to miss him. I heard multiple stories around town that he was at the hotel bar with his dad until 3 am on Sat night before last year’s final round at the BMW at Caves. Really liked him after that.

Seemed like a different sort of player. His Players’ win this past year was really strong as well. A guy who drives it all over the map with an amazing short game is fun to watch. Sucks he’s leaving.

Back