• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Weiskopf won the 1975 GGO at Sedgefield in the next to last year before it moved to Forest Oaks

And shot a 64 in 40 degree weather with 25 mph winds while doing it. One of the all time great rounds on the tour. Weiskopf won 16 times on tour and had one major. He contended in many more. If Freddy is in the HOF, Tom should be.

If there was no movement for Weiskopf in the HOF before, there shouldn’t be now. That’s the problem with the whole Bill Russell thing too. He’s between 5-10 all-time, do we retire MJ everywhere or wait on him to die too?

Death is too much of a factor in these permanent decisions. If you really meant it, you should have meant it just as much when he was alive.

The world golf hall of fame needs to decide what it’s going to be. If it’s going to be the elite, it should stick that way. If it’s going to be a Wake Forest retired hoops Jersey, it should do that and let in anyone that walked.

And shot a 64 in 40 degree weather with 25 mph winds while doing it. One of the all time great rounds on the tour. Weiskopf won 16 times on tour and had one major. He contended in many more. If Freddy is in the HOF, Tom should be.

Yeah, people seem to poo-poo Weiskopf's career because he only won one major, but guys like Freddy and Davis are viewed as no-brainer HOFer's. Sure, Weiskopf probably should've won more majors, but he was also dealing with Jack Nicklaus in his prime during that time, a long with quite a few other all-time greats. I get what donaldross is saying, but I think Tom Weiskopf is a little bit different than a lot of other guys that only won one major.

I looked it up and that guy does have 9 top 3s in majors.

He is definitely on par or ahead of Love and Couples, neither of which should be in if an elite Hall is what you want.

Of course, I guess they are just into marketing in this era. Can’t blame them.

Yeah, people seem to poo-poo Weiskopf's career because he only won one major, but guys like Freddy and Davis are viewed as no-brainer HOFer's. Sure, Weiskopf probably should've won more majors, but he was also dealing with Jack Nicklaus in his prime during that time, a long with quite a few other all-time greats. I get what donaldross is saying, but I think Tom Weiskopf is a little bit different than a lot of other guys that only won one major.

Weiskopf was prickly and rubbed some people the wrong way, whereas most people like Freddy and Davis. Might have something to do with it. Agree that based on records, TW is right up there with FC and DL.

Weiskopf was prickly and rubbed some people the wrong way, whereas most people like Freddy and Davis. Might have something to do with it. Agree that based on records, TW is right up there with FC and DL.

Yeah, he could be a bit of an ass. I did always enjoy him when he was part of the Master's broadcast though. I loved his line in the 86 Masters, Nantz asked him what he thought was going through Nicklaus's mind as he stood on the 16th tee prior to hitting it a few feet, and Weiskopf said: " Jim, if I knew the way he thought, I'd have won this tournament" and laughed.

Last edited:
I was happy to see Theegala get in the field. We've had some fantastic rookies this year, and Cam Smith has had some nice competition to get it, though I still think he does get it.

As for the Weiskopf debate, I remember him as being somewhat of a horse's ass in terms of personality. But my memory says he was better in the 70s than Love and Couples were in the 90s. And with his design business, yes, he certainly has a better total resume than Love or Couples. He was a fixture in top 10s in majors but was only able to win the 1. He was kinda similar to Miller in that they were 2 of the best golfers of their generation but only had the 3 majors between them.

I was happy to see Theegala get in the field. We've had some fantastic rookies this year, and Cam Smith has had some nice competition to get it, though I still think he does get it.

As for the Weiskopf debate, I remember him as being somewhat of a horse's ass in terms of personality. But my memory says he was better in the 70s than Love and Couples were in the 90s. And with his design business, yes, he certainly has a better total resume than Love or Couples. He was a fixture in top 10s in majors but was only able to win the 1. He was kinda similar to Miller in that they were 2 of the best golfers of their generation but only had the 3 majors between them.

Cam Young. FWIW, there are conflicting rumors about Young heading to LIV (along with Cam Smith).

Yeah, he could be a bit of an ass. I did always enjoy him when he was part of the Master's broadcast though. I loved his line in the 86 Masters, Nantz asked him what he thought was going through Nicklaus's mind as he stood on the 16th tee prior to hitting it a few feet, and Weiskopf said: " Jim, if I knew the way he thought, I'd have won this tournament" and laughed.

Cam Young. FWIW, there are conflicting rumors about Young heading to LIV (along with Cam Smith).

Oops, mixing up my Cams. Meant to say Young for ROY. And yeah, I really hope those rumors were false with Young.

Oops, mixing up my Cams. Meant to say Young for ROY. And yeah, I really hope those rumors were false with Young.

He was at the players only meeting last week. And the reports are all those guys are on the same page. So it *seems * unlikely Cam Young is leaving the pga tour. But damn. I'd hate if he were to go

He was at the players only meeting last week. And the reports are all those guys are on the same page. So it *seems * unlikely Cam Young is leaving the pga tour. But damn. I'd hate if he were to go

His dad is a PGA pro at a nice club. He seems like he would be one of the last to go. Golf establishment guys tend to not be very LIV friendly.

Cam Young isn’t going anywhere…dude’s dad has been a class A PGA Professional his entire career and Cam went to Wake on an AP scholarship…nobody in the AP scholarship club goes to LIV

The Tiger meeting proposal sounds a lot like LIV, except 72 holes and no shotgun start. Limited fields, higher purses, no cuts. Would create a varsity/JV system on pga tour.

Yeah and it’s the type of thing some top level guys have wanted to happen, including Phil. Instead, these guys are grinding through tournaments like the Shriners Open and John Deere with a seven million dollar purses.

Zalatoris out this weekend with two herniated discs. Not good to be having back problems this early in his career.

If there was no movement for Weiskopf in the HOF before, there shouldn’t be now. That’s the problem with the whole Bill Russell thing too. He’s between 5-10 all-time, do we retire MJ everywhere or wait on him to die too?

Death is too much of a factor in these permanent decisions. If you really meant it, you should have meant it just as much when he was alive.

The world golf hall of fame needs to decide what it’s going to be. If it’s going to be the elite, it should stick that way. If it’s going to be a Wake Forest retired hoops Jersey, it should do that and let in anyone that walked.

It's gotta be weird to have all this bullshit taking up space in your brain. I've seen the size of your head though.

Herniated discs are brutal for golf. Ask Tiger with however many failed microdiscectomy surgeries he had before the full fusion. I've been putting off surgery for ~10 years, and there are times I just can't get all the way through the ball and have to rely way too much on hands/wrists. Not a great recipe for high level consistency, which Will has shown in spades thus far.

Back