• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

From Andy Lack in Golf Digest's best bet section on the Open Championship about Scheffler:

We’ve reached a point where I’m running out of adjectives to accurately describe the ball-striking run that Scheffler is on right now. Historic is a good place to start, but we are now entering territory that I don’t believe will ever be matched again. Scheffler has now gained over two strokes off the tee in 14 straight starts. He’s gained over two strokes on approach in 10 straight starts, and over six on approach in five straight starts. Scheffler is the best iron player in the world, and it’s not particularly close. His gap in tee-to-green play from the next best is even starker. The former Masters champion has gained over seven strokes ball-striking in 14 straight starts, which has never been done in the strokes gained era, not even by Tiger. Scheffler has now finished in the top-12 in 16 straight starts, another feat that not even Tiger has neared.

Amateur Christo Lamprecht out in 32 for the early lead.

Course more than holding up on its own so far.

FWIW, Michael Brennan (-9) won the individual ACC title beating, among others, Lampbrecht (-4) back in April. In the match play final between WF and GT, Lampbrecht dusted Brennan 6&5. Now Lampbrecht is tied for the lead in the Open Championship.

Rose off to a horrific start. Rory and Rahm a little stagnant through five. Harman -3 through 9. Afternoon playing a little harder than the morning so far. Course getting a little firmer for sure.

Have to say that this has just been a fantastic day of golf to watch. The broadcast kinda sucks as always (well delayed showing guys making putts and updating the leaderboard) but the course is in great condition, it's a fair challenge and both the bunkers and internal OB are punitive as they should be. If you're in a fairway bunker you're playing out sideways almost every time - or at the least cannot go for the green while the internal OB is preventing guys from just launching it down the fairway/green (see Rickie on 18 with back-to-back OB shots)

The broadcast doesn't kinda suck. It fucking blows.
The delay on stuff has been absurd if you're following along on the app as well tracking guys (Rozner literally birdied 18 10 minutes before they showed the putt and updated the scoreboard on the broadcast). They've consistently misspoken about straightforward stuff (multiple times they said a guy was hitting the wrong number shot after a previous one went OB, they said Wyndham hasn't played an event since the US Open, etc.). They showed like 10 total shots from the Cantlay, Brooks, Matsuyama group even though all three shot under par and were just one hole ahead of the "featured groups." There have been 7+ commercials an hour.

Yeah it's been awful you're right.

Yeah, I was watching at the gym this morning with no sound and I could barely follow it, but I got to watch Tommy Fleetwood change clubs and putt up a hill. Meanwhile the leader was birdying #18.

Good grief. If I invited a professional golfer to be my Member-Guest partner, I'm sure this is what would happen.

Bones may be taking a pay cut working for Thomas as opposed to his NBC gig with those finishes... :LOL:

Harman with a 30 footer to cap things off on 18 and a 67, one shot off the three way lead.

Bradley playing well and grinding out a solid round with a couple left at -2.

Rory trying to get hot after draining a 35 footer on 14 and inside 5 feet on 15 for another one. He's gotta feel pretty good if he somehow gets in under par given how shaky his putting has been and questionable ball striking.

Back