• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

I keep reading the JT pick being comparative to the Euros picking of Poulter in past years. The Euro pool of players to pick is always not that deep, so yeah it would make sense to pick a guy like an Ian Poulter that has shown up big in prior Cups over some obscure Euro Tour player. JT got picked over a couple of guys that have won majors and had great seasons, big difference in my opinion. I a JT fan and hope he does a great Poulter impression at the Ryder Cup and makes the Euros lives miserable. However, I'm big on earning things and JT just didn't have the kind of season at all to be selected as a pick. I also like Zach Johnson a lot too, so again I hope the JT pick works out.

Kind of funny to me that JT's candidacy was or may have been helped because Spieth lobbied for him. Spieth was a captain's pick too. Realize that Spieth was going to make the team regardless, but geez, after an amazing start to his career, Spieth has been good, but not great, for a long time. Just don't feel like Spieth has the game right now to not only make the team, but call the shots on who else should make the team. If Johnson selected Bradley, Young or even Denny McCarthy over JT, Spieth should be happy that he was picked, and STFU.

Also, the Ryder Cup experience argument is specious. Everyone has to make the Ryder Cup for the first time. JT was a Ryder Cup rookie in 2018 and went 4-1 (btw, he was #1 in the world in 2018). Plenty of rookies have played key roles in Ryder Cup wins, and plenty of vets are to blame for Ryder Cup failures. In the end, this is golf. and its an honor to make the Ryder Cup team, and the best golfers at the time should make the team.

This is all good sports banter in a week with no golf.
Agree about Spieth. He's really good but not up there with the elites. He's also always been the Golden Boy who has received preferential treatment. And that's the whole JT problem - he's getting preferential treatment because he's Golden Boy 2.

Disagree with your last paragraph. I was watching the Crans Montana Swiss tourney this a.m. as I worked out. It's the DP's Kapalua and 1 of the most stunningly gorgeous courses in the world. It also has extra meaning because all the Euros wanting to go to Rome are there.

Spieth went through a rough patch but he played well overall this year. Top 10 American on the money list. 7th American in WGR. Double digit top 20's this year. 21 wins in Ryder/Presidents Cups. There's exactly 1 player with more majors than him who could play and he's also a Captain's pick (Koepka).

Not up there with the elites?

Really seems like this just boils down to whether people think history and team fit should play any role in player selection. Everyone's entitled to an opinion but the players 100% think they should. They'll argue about to what degree, and the JT controversy is certainly justified, but just saying JT's stats right now suck and Glover is hot is not some ironclad guarantee that Glover over JT would equal more Ryder Cup points.

I mean JT is 6-2-1 in his Ryder Cup career. He is getting preferential treatment for sure as a pick, but it's not like he's unworthy of inclusion if you're trying to get a guy everybody likes and who has done well in Ryder Cup in the past.

The Euros have kicked our ass for years by picking the stalwarts, rather than the best players at the time. The goal here is to win not reward accomplishments.

Thomas and Spieth will play in 8 or 9 ryder cups as they should. Have you seen their record together? I imagine they will be first off in Rome once again and put up some points (again). Hope to see some of your pundits off your ass and there.

Apparently all we need to do is give this to Scheffler and JT and we're all set...

Jailbird-380-face.jpeg

I'm not buying the Poulter comps for the JT pick. Yes, Poulter's RC record is great, but he's only ever been some kind of big brain, stretch pick once, maybe twice, and it didn't go well.

2004: Auto qualifier, 1-1-0
2006: DNP
2008: Captain's pick, 8th in world points so logical choice, 4-0-0
2010: Auto qualifier, 3-1-1
2012: Captain's pick, 11th in world points and essentially next man up, 4-0-0
2014: Captain's pick, 9th in euro points and 12th in world points, spot arguably could have gone to Luke Donald, 0-1-2
2016: DNP
2018: Captain's pick, 9th in world points so no stretch, 2-2-0
2021: Captain's pick, 14th in world points, quite a few guys who could have been taken instead, 1-2-0

So the only two years you can look at and say Poulter was picked as some kind of glue guy, Ryder Cup stalwart are 2014 and 2021, when he went a combined 1-3-2 for a whopping 2 points.

Spieth went through a rough patch but he played well overall this year. Top 10 American on the money list. 7th American in WGR. Double digit top 20's this year. 21 wins in Ryder/Presidents Cups. There's exactly 1 player with more majors than him who could play and he's also a Captain's pick (Koepka).

Not up there with the elites?

Really seems like this just boils down to whether people think history and team fit should play any role in player selection. Everyone's entitled to an opinion but the players 100% think they should. They'll argue about to what degree, and the JT controversy is certainly justified, but just saying JT's stats right now suck and Glover is hot is not some ironclad guarantee that Glover over JT would equal more Ryder Cup points.
Very well reasoned post. Personally I’m in the Glover over JT camp, but that pick certainly would’ve had the potential to blow up on Zach too.

Maybe Zach and the others just didnt want Glover's wife there. And that's understandable.
Hadn't considered that, but yeah, that was most likely a factor. Still should have been Cam or Keegan, and I don't even like Keegan.

Notice how the Euros picked Ludvig Aberg.

You people would be bitching he isn’t “deserving.”

He gives them the best chance to win. And he’s so young the payoff is big for being a long term stalwart.

Like with hiring for any position, it’s not about who had the best 1990s. Words like “he isn’t qualified or hasn’t accomplished enough” are loser words. It’s about who gives you the best chance to win in the years ahead.

So Luke picked Fairway Jesus, Rose, Straka, Lowry, Aberg and Hojgaard as his picks. The 1st 4 were no brainers, and I agree with the Aberg pick, especially after his win in Switzerland yesterday in a good field. But I really don't get Hojgaard over Meronk. I get that he's been in recent good form, but so has Meronk, and Meronk is more accomplished and won at Marco Simone earlier this year. The Hojgaards are great young talents and will be on future RC teams, but Meronk is just a more mature player than either Hojgaard at this point. Also nice to see Alex get a T-5 in a Euro event.

Also a strange situation that is rare, men's or women's, with the LPGA event in Portland where a Monday qualifier ranked #366 in the world completely lapped a strong field, and she looked comfortable doing it. Being young has its rewards.

So is this saudi merger thing not actually happening? Seems like they're a bit light on the details

So is this saudi merger thing not actually happening? Seems like they're a bit light on the details
Hope not. The real way to fix this problem is and always has been to apologize to all the LIV players and tell them they are welcome to play in any PGA tour event they would like to play in.

Lowry over Meronk is a head scratcher.
I get it more than Hojgaard. Lowry is a major winner who was their best player 2 years ago and who is a great locker room guy, even though his form hasn't been great recently. And I get not wanting to have too many rookies. But if you look at the last 18 months, Meronk has been clearly superior to Hojgaard and is ranked 27 places higher. He's also greatly improved his short game over the last 2 years, whereas Hojgaard is still a bit weaker around the greens.

Back