• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

No one has advocated for taking the next 6 guys in order. Just objecting to jumping 30 guys who have a had far better year to take JT. I get that everyone loves JT. I root for JT, but at some point, performance has to dictate, who plays. As mentioned above, Kevin Kisner may be the most universally loved guy on the Tour, and he has an impeccable match-play record, but he has had a rough year, and played himself out of consideration. The same holds for JT. If he was anywhere close, no one would have blinked at JT getting named, but he was simply awful.

Last edited:
Strange hit his approach on 18 into the bank in front of the green then missed about an 8 footer for the halve. still remember the look on Wadkins’ face.

Strange hit his approach on 18 into the bank in front of the green then missed about an 8 footer for the halve. still remember the look on Wadkins’ face.
Kappa Sigs stay together. Lanny was going to pick Jay and Curtis. Jay skied his drive on 18 and Curtis bogied from the middle of the fairway. It was hard to stomach.

Yeah if you're going to take a flyer on someone at least play the hot hand.
Plus he’s a pure ball striker, great guy and has learned how to putt. It’s sucks that he was left off to pick the cool guys team.

I hate LIV and I hate myself for this, but Koepka has grown on me this year for some reason. I think it was the PGA Tour documentary and how he showed his struggles and owned up to it. And the way he handled himself winning the PGA again. Damn that was impressive.
Plus, I think he regreted going to LIV and wanted to come back. He chose the $$$ when he was injured. He lacks humility but gotta give him credit for his win at the PGA.

This. Part of the reason the Euros have been so successful is that they consider teams, relationships, past performance, and leadership on their Ryder Cup teams. They pick guys like Poulter who then light up highly ranked Americans. Plus, the whole point of having captains picks is to not simply pick the next 6 guys in order. You think Spieth wasn't lobbying for JT to partner with him like crazy? Young and JT have 3 top 20's in their last 10 tourneys, predicting who will play "up" for a week is virtually impossible. Predicting who will be more valuable on a Ryder Cup has precedent. I think Zach did a really good job with the picks. Glover was a sucker take, I'd have taken Kegan over Burns but agree that it was probably due to Scottie's influence, which he earned.
Speith was a captain’s pick himself. How could he lobby for JT? And in alternate shot, which of them can hit a fairway? Speith is fun to watch and is likeable, but he lost his long game long ago. And JT can’t putt well enough to score well (nothwithstanding his superb chipping) when he’s hitting it sideways.

Plus, I think he regreted going to LIV and wanted to come back. He chose the $$$ when he was injured. He lacks humility but gotta give him credit for his win at the PGA.
Brooks does not regret going to LIV. Now he has generational wealth. All the haters (you) said he could no longer play in Majors or the Ryder Cup. Yow were wrong. He had his cake and is eating it too. Unlike Will Zalatoris who made a horrible decision who now has no cake at all.

Last edited:
No one has advocated for taking the next 6 guys in order. Just objecting to jumping 30 guys who have a had far better year to take JT. I get that everyone loves JT. I root for JT, but at some point, performance has to dictate, who plays. As mentioned above, Kevin Kisner may be the most universally loved guy on the Tour, and he has an impeccable match-play record, but he has had a rough year, and played himself out of consideration. The same holds for JT. If he was anywhere close, no one would have blinked at JT getting named, but he was simply awful.
Performance is dictating who plays - his performance in past Ryder Cups and with Spieth. Clearly you don't care about that, which may or may not end up being correct. Current form is one factor. Ryder Cup experience is a factor. Only 6 guys earned their spot, end of story, and the goal is to put together a winning team. I'm not even much of a JT fan, but I also don't think Keegan would add much to the team or that Finau or Young make very compelling arguments.

Kisner is a terrible example by the way, winless at his last President's Cup and lost both his singles matches, no Ryder Cup record, if JT is in poor form Kisner is a dumpster fire this year. JT missed the playoffs by a centimeter on his last chip and was first man out. Kisner wasn't even in the top 200. Pretty absurd to lump their play together as similar - JT is still 1 spot behind Ricky on the WGR, has 16 wins to only 3 losses in Ryder/Prez combined which is nuts. It's also fairly obvious the team lobbied hard for him, which I guess also should be ignored.

It's that kind of thinking that led to shit like pairing Phil and Tiger while losing over and over again to Euro teams with "far less talent" than US ones.

Speith was a captain’s pick himself. How could he lobby for JT? And in alternate shot, which of them can hit a fairway? Speith is fun to watch and is likeable, but he lost his long game long ago. And JT can’t putt well enough to score well (nothwithstanding his superb chipping) when he’s hitting it sideways.
Spieth’s accuracy off the tee is as good as it’s been in five years statistically and his strokes gained OTT have been roughly the same for three years (after he was in his drought in 2018/19)

Glovers had 20 plus years to show us what he had. He got hot for a couple weeks with a new putter. He's a good golfer, no business on this team.

I would much rather have Spieth or Thomas over a 10 footer with a match on the line than Glover.
Justin Thomas’ putting stats in 2023 vs. 2022
When taking a closer look at Thomas’ putting opportunities at longer lengths, he’s losing strokes to the field in putting (half a shot lost compared to last season) and his three-putts are increasing.
Strokes Gained: Putting-0.290.22
Rank15956
Three-Putt Avoidance4.26%2.31%
Rank19144

I wouldn't trust JT over a 10 footer right now.

Justin Thomas’ putting stats in 2023 vs. 2022
When taking a closer look at Thomas’ putting opportunities at longer lengths, he’s losing strokes to the field in putting (half a shot lost compared to last season) and his three-putts are increasing.
Strokes Gained: Putting-0.290.22
Rank15956
Three-Putt Avoidance4.26%2.31%
Rank19144

I wouldn't trust JT over a 10 footer right now.
This. Cam, Glover and Bradley would have all been superior choices. Glover is clicking at everything right now, and Cam is great tee to green, which would have been helpful with alternate shot where pars are helpful. Thomas' ball striking and putting are the worst they've ever been. I'm hoping the inevitable Spieth/Thomas pairing gets boat raced by the Meronk/Straka pairing.

Kind of funny to me that JT's candidacy was or may have been helped because Spieth lobbied for him. Spieth was a captain's pick too. Realize that Spieth was going to make the team regardless, but geez, after an amazing start to his career, Spieth has been good, but not great, for a long time. Just don't feel like Spieth has the game right now to not only make the team, but call the shots on who else should make the team. If Johnson selected Bradley, Young or even Denny McCarthy over JT, Spieth should be happy that he was picked, and STFU.

Also, the Ryder Cup experience argument is specious. Everyone has to make the Ryder Cup for the first time. JT was a Ryder Cup rookie in 2018 and went 4-1 (btw, he was #1 in the world in 2018). Plenty of rookies have played key roles in Ryder Cup wins, and plenty of vets are to blame for Ryder Cup failures. In the end, this is golf. and its an honor to make the Ryder Cup team, and the best golfers at the time should make the team.

This is all good sports banter in a week with no golf.

Hope Zack’s pick of JT over others more deserving doesn’t end up like Lanny’s pick of Curtis Strange at Oak Hill 0-3

Brooks does not regret going to LIV. Now he has generational wealth. All the haters (you) said he could no longer play in Majors or the Ryder Cup. Yow were wrong. He had his cake and is eating it too. Unlike Will Zalatoris who made a horrible decision who now has no cake at all.
Did I say that?

Spieth’s accuracy off the tee is as good as it’s been in five years statistically and his strokes gained OTT have been roughly the same for three years (after he was in his drought in 2018/19)
Has Speith ever been accurate off the tee?

Back