• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

"The PGA Tour is USA backed. The USA kills kids all over in schools using guns. Even the US government tortures innocent people without due process in Gitmo because of their race. It's immoral to play on the PGA Tour."

Will someone explain to me why i'm "stupid" and believe this is the same logic i'm reading from golf writers trying to save their jobs?

Ultimately doesn't is come down to what DCDeac said about how in essence you are working for a company/government that is racist/sexist/homophobic/murdering government built on oppression and by doing so you are accepting their dirty blood money.

If these clowns can handle that, that's fine but you lost my respect as being as decent human being forever.

Oh and on another note please don't tell me how Amy Michelson is the all American Mom being married to this scum bag. It's been a ruse all these years.

"The PGA Tour is USA backed. The USA kills kids all over in schools using guns. Even the US government tortures innocent people without due process in Gitmo because of their race. It's immoral to play on the PGA Tour."

Will someone explain to me why i'm "stupid" and believe this is the same logic i'm reading from golf writers trying to save their jobs?

is the U.S. government funding the PGA Tour (with fuck you money) as a method to hide atrocities they commit, which in turn will make these atrocities seem minor and give a green light for global companies to do business in the country?

What a dumb fucking statement that really isn’t worth anyone’s time dissecting but I guess Deakhawks response is good enough.

The PGA Tour is in business with China with the PGA Tour -China. To me, that’s no different than what the players are doing.

is the U.S. government funding the PGA Tour (with fuck you money) as a method to hide atrocities they commit, which in turn will make these atrocities seem minor and give a green light for global companies to do business in the country?

Is there somewhere I can read that this is what is actually happening besides the Fake News. Did the Saudi folks say this was their purpose? Or are we just being racist and assuming it is since they are Saudis?

I get the sentiment behind the post, but I disagree with a few of the points.

I hate watching most golf on TV, I think that comes down to the PGA and the broadcasters and the deals that they have signed. The package that they put out is garbage.

The fields being deep I don’t think is the negative you think it is. Parity is at its highest point in the game in my lifetime meaning that kids can latch onto one of any number of phenomenal golfers. Now, most of those golfers are rich white dudes, but diversity is growing in the game, and having a deeper field with more personalities I would think would make it easier for people to like/dislike more people.
The thing to me is, I don’t think it’s pro golf that’s really going to grow the game at this point for traditionally underrepresented communities. I think it’s a bit because it’s a chicken and the egg type of thing. You might have another Tiger, but the combination of background and transcendent talent, means that there’s a slim to none chance.

#growingthegame starts with how accessible the game is, and getting people to non-judgmental, and frankly, fucking fun places to engage with the game. Golf and the people who have a hand in running it, have to be more comfortable with golf breaking more ground than just 18 holes out in a field. Honestly the time is ripe, you see more and more resort courses adding in fun par 3’s that let people engage with the game differently, places like sweetens, winter park 9, etc. are steps in the right direction but more needs to be done. Companies like Malbon partnering with Schoolboy Q, and the shift in apparel lines have shown to be promising in the last few years. There’s a lot that has to be done in shifting the perceptual view of what it means to golf.

I think that golf has a major accessibility problem, and by addressing that problem you might cultivate an environment that allows for transcendent generational talent to engage with the game, and then become bright stars.

So yeah, I think there are a lot of problems, a lot of it falls on the PGA tour and their broadcasting partners and they need to fix those problems, but they also need to and can do significantly more in diversifying the game and cultivating an environment where this takeover would be less feasible.

To me, 72 holes with a cut, for tournament golf, is right. However, even if it isn’t, I don’t think that having teams, and a shiny new broadcasting package, or players earning a shit ton more money addresses the accessibility problems, nor do I think that anything LIV is doing will get your kids to engage with the sport more than they would if it was the PGA tour.

Most professional golfers have little to no personality - at least not that comes across during the broadcast. Having microphones on all players and caddies, having teams led by the golfers with personality/the stars, playing for huge money, ensuring that the field is legit deep 15-20 times a year, and a few other wrinkles akin to the yellow line on football broadcasts and you could really have something and I think my kid would tune in more.

For instance, I think they should just have a distance - say, 15 inches and under - and just use gimmees (except in majors). Just slap that shit back and move on to the next hole. Much like the extra point after a football TD - that was boring as hell, and the NFL has really improved it such that now you have to sort of pay attention, and teams are enticed to go for 2. Speed the game/broadcast up - those guys make 99.9% of 15-inch putts as is, so just embrace it. No one wants to watch these guys mark their ball, move their coin, etc., because they are going to be standing in the next guy's line, etc. The broadcast could build up the tension "is that a gimmee? hard to tell..." Then there is also way more pressure on the 2 footer (or whatever distance is just outside a gimmee). This is something easily accomplished with a little technology and innovative broadcasting.

Many old white dudes will hate the idea. Of course, they probably screamed about the yellow line and the tweaks to the extra point. I couldn't watch football without the yellow line at this point, and the same may be true if LIV actually hits on good tweaks. It will take a year or two, but if they are smart and committed, there is no reason they won't have a much better product relatively soon.

This feels like Raw vs. Nitro to me. The Saudis giving out those big money Ted Turner guaranteed contracts.

i could see pat perez cashing some fat LIV checks

Nope, he's a thankful to be playing the PGA tour guy and recognizes what it's done for his life - 1 of the more offbeat personalities on tour. Saw a podcast with him 1 time. He thinks highly of his cooking and grilling, and he could drink all of us under the table.

This feels like Raw vs. Nitro to me. The Saudis giving out those big money Ted Turner guaranteed contracts.

This! This is exactly like the old monday night wrestling wars. I mean Michelson is basically dressed as hollywood hulk hogan in his all black outfit

Attachments

• hulk.jpg
    hulk.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 0
Twitter circulating rumors that Augusta will ban LIV players.

Not sure if that means past Champs but doesn't matter. It'll be another of the OWGR board of governors against LIV. Good luck getting ranking points awarded anytime soon. They are going to starve the players right out of qualifying for the big events.

Twitter circulating rumors that Augusta will ban LIV players.

Not sure if that means past Champs but doesn't matter. It'll be another of the OWGR board of governors against LIV. Good luck getting ranking points awarded anytime soon. They are going to starve the players right out of qualifying for the big events.

I would be quite surprised. But if so, that’s about the only thing I know, that would halt this train.

the PGA tour is not USA backed; the equivalent would be more like if Guantanamo Bay hosted a golf tournament

the stray gunfire pushes the slope rating up to 155

the stray gunfire pushes the slope rating up to 155

Yeah, I was going to say watch out for the hazards. And yeah, Rory has shown great leadership throughout this process. Now if he could just clean up his wedge and short games....

I would be quite surprised. But if so, that’s about the only thing I know, that would halt this train.

Augusta National believes firmly in doing whatever the hell it wants to do. So the players who went to LIV should agree with Augusta National's respect for autonomy when it bans them from the Masters.

But who knows what will happen. . .

There is sweet irony in watching a fascistic regime bust an American monopoly. Meanwhile Apple starts making cars next year.

Back