• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

I'm sure. A lot depends on how much the networks want to get in bed with the Saudis and Trump or if they want to try to stay out of politics as much as possible.
The U.S. is in bed with the Saudi’s. Sec of State Blinken is in Saudi today meeting with the Crown Prince. Biden’s security advisorSullivan Sullivan was just over there three weeks ago. The Saudi’s want to be in bed with Biden.

Collusion.
Colluding with all the tours to not allow world ranking points
Just how much did the PGA Tour manipulate the sport’s labor market. How much pressure did they exert on the majors to keep LIV out (and then when Augusta decided ALL of golf needed their invited qualifiers in, the rest jumped in line—U.S.Open certainly can’t keep out those that qualify. The PGA is a different entity that the PGA Tour)
Collusion of exactly how much illegal pressure the PGA Tour put on sponsors & suppliers to NOT work with LIV and their try for a network and such. All of which is highly illegal and would have cost the PGA multi-millions (billions) in court when the truth under oath came out.

Cool now do the Saudi Royal Family, who openly fought against having to testify.

Guys, just put dondaldross on “ignore.” It’s such a fantastic feature of this website. Posts completely disappear. I did it with NJ Deac a few weeks ago and I’ve basically forgotten he exists at this point. Your life will be better for it, I promise.
To be fair NJDeac just stopped posting so everyone forgot about him

Again, the LIV was not going to win the lawsuit against the PGA. I mean anything is POSSIBLE but we're talking very very low odds. The lawsuit is not why the PGA is accepting the LIV merging in, it's because they're going to get billions of dollars

Collusion.
Colluding with all the tours to not allow world ranking points
Just how much did the PGA Tour manipulate the sport’s labor market. How much pressure did they exert on the majors to keep LIV out (and then when Augusta decided ALL of golf needed their invited qualifiers in, the rest jumped in line—U.S.Open certainly can’t keep out those that qualify. The PGA is a different entity that the PGA Tour)
Collusion of exactly how much illegal pressure the PGA Tour put on sponsors & suppliers to NOT work with LIV and their try for a network and such. All of which is highly illegal and would have cost the PGA multi-millions (billions) in court when the truth under oath came out.
Reff straining to create the new "highly illegal" standard as opposed to the simply illegal standard.
i-cant-deal-with-this-cant-handle.gif

None of the things listed are illegal.

First, no major kept any LIV players out. So, there is no damage that can be claimed.

"Collusion" means conspiring with others to cheat or deceive others. OWGR criteria are determined by committee that includes reps from the officially recognized tours. PGAT officials didn't change the OWGR criteria to keep LIV players out; the LIV tour chose not to conduct events that met the criteria. Further, to the extent anyone was damaged by the OWGR rankings, it was the LIV players, but they all dropped out of the lawsuit against the tour. So, there was no one who had "standing" to make the claim that the PGAT "conspired" to deprive a LIV player of ranking points. Also, as was stated in one of the decisions that LIV players lost, the LIV players knew that the move to LIV was going to cost them OWGR points before they made the jump.

The PGAT didn't deprive LIV of sponsors. LIV had the biggest sponsor in the World, the Saudi Investment Fund. That investment fund is bigger than all of the PGAT sponsors put together times ten. LIV didn't make any effort to find sponsors because they didn't need them. LIV found a network, CW, and nobody watched. So, how could LIV claim that the PGAT kept LIV from finding a network, when there was no reason for a network to televise exhibition golf.

The PGAT won every legal battle along the way, and there was no fear of losing in court to LIV. The PGAT did have to ramp up purses and dig into its rainy day fund to keep up with LIV, and the PGAT knew their cash would run out before LIV's would. Also, the Saudi's offered so much money that the PGAT now doesn't have to worry about sponsors or TV contracts for years. Money won. That is the beginning and end of the story.

So if TheReff thinks the PGA Tour was "highly illegal" before (antitrust, I guess?), what does he think now? Seems highlier illegaler.

So if TheReff thinks the PGA Tour was "highly illegal" before (antitrust, I guess?), what does he think now? Seems highlier illegaler.
Lol yeah seriously. There's LESS competition post-merger by far. It's just all actors colluding now!

The U.S. is in bed with the Saudi’s. Sec of State Blinken is in Saudi today meeting with the Crown Prince. Biden’s security advisorSullivan Sullivan was just over there three weeks ago. The Saudi’s want to be in bed with Biden.
This isn't me defending Saudi Arabia or the U.S. govt's involvement with the regime, but there are massive differences between the U.S. govt cooperating with a regime for geopolitical and security reasons (again, I'm not defending the U.S. or SA on this) and a brutal, autocratic regime using public money to sportswash its imagine in a foreign country. Both are not great, but they're not analogous.

Again, the LIV was not going to win the lawsuit against the PGA. I mean anything is POSSIBLE but we're talking very very low odds. The lawsuit is not why the PGA is accepting the LIV merging in, it's because they're going to get billions of dollars
Well, that and "to grow the game" as the PGA TOUR statement reads. The same talking point LIV used. Really amazing...

Last edited:
Cool now do the Saudi Royal Family, who openly fought against having to testify.

It was the Saudi Family’s money footing the legal bill. When Tour players are getting subpoenaed and have to foot the legal bill, it’s a little different.

Well, that and "to grow the game" as the PGA TOUR statement reads. The same talking point LIV used. Really amazing...

Yeah and as I said earlier, anything like that kind of language from anybody is meaningless and always has been. The only reason any of these decisions are being made is because of money. That's always the answer and that will always be the answer with corporations

Does any of this change whether or not you will watch tour events? I want to say it will for me, but it won't. And that's the brilliance of sports-washing. Sports means too much to most of us. We will be angry or outraged for a bit, then go along with our normal sports consumption

It won’t for me. I only watch The Masters, US Open, the Open Championship, the PGA Championship and the Ryder Cup.
The regular tour events are all the same to me.

Who gives a f***? It's GOLF, a game that, to me, only barely surpasses watching paint dry as a matter of interest. I subscribe to Hemingway's definition of sport: "There are only three sports: bullfighting, auto racing, and mountaineering. All the rest are only games." Geopolitical concerns aside, this is a nothing burger. Here's the deal: the PGA did not want competition, so, like the NFL before it, it has absorbed the threat of competition. It's all about the money, despite what Monahan may have said in the past. Either the two or three families he said he knew who lost loved ones in the twin towers are okay with this, or he really never gave a crap about them

Back