• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Bryson on Saudi Arabia and 9/11:

"20 years has passed and we're in a place now where it's time to start trying to work together to make things better together as a whole."

"As we move forward from that we've gotta look towards a pathway to peace...and forgiveness, especially if we're trying to mend the world and make it a better place."

"It's unfortunate what has happened and that's something I cannot necessarily speak on...I'm a golfer."

"Nobody's perfect."

ice-cube-da-fuq.gif

You can always count on Bryson to same some dumb shit. I am amazed he went on CNN this time and not Fox News. Interesting to see all the conservatives on twitter defending Saudi Arabia.

Last edited:
I was scalping tickets in the parking lot at the PGA championship and saw Rahm when he was pulling up for his practice round. I asked him for an autograph because my buyers on ebay would definitely eat it up. I donate $500/year to ASU which has generated $28 billion in new business so I know what I'm talking about here.

He quickly said "Not now, kid. Maybe after my round", but then he stopped and looked me up and down and asked, "Aren't you a little old for autographs?"

He seemed pretty mad so it's clear to me that Monahan FUCKED Rahm and he knew it.

I'm basically a Pier 1 sauce on this.

Well, at least we won't have to watch boring ass East Lake much longer.

There are a bunch of courses on the PGA tour that are unimpressive visually, like most of the mid Summer and Fall events not named Congaree. But I really like East Lake.

I had originally thought the Saudis would scrap LIV after 3-4 years given the abject failure it has been as a tour. But it took the Saudi prince only 1 year to discover its abject failure and pivot accordingly, so I give him credit there. And the fact that Norman knew nothing about this tells you all you need to know about what he thinks about Norman and Mickelson at this point, which I find encouraging. But I'm extremely interested to see what these new arrangements look like and who the recipients of this cash influx will be. The PGA purses are already significant - $8mil for your average event and $18+mil for the elevated events. So I'm hoping most of the cash influx goes to the DP average events and rank and file players. But I'm guessing the final product will look more like Phil's vision and not mine. Regardless, Monahan comes out of this looking like the biggest hypocrite on the planet, and the fact that he used the 9/11 victims families as pawns is beyond nauseating. I'd like to see him resign, but that won't happen either.

It's not that East Lake sucks. It's that it's the same thing every year. You have a very limited field...they out some new courses, or visit some classics and have limited attendance.

The writing on the wall seemed to be that the DP Tour and LIV will continue to have bigger purses than the KFT and in the case of the DP Tour continue to have more clout, but that they're going to be more feeder type tours to the PGA which will retain in the shorter term its current positioning. That may be totally off base but seems to be best guess provided the limited information we've received the last 24 hours.

I don't think LIV exists when this is all done. LiV was merely the PIFs first shot at buying their way into golf. It only took one year and hilariously bad viewership numbers for them to realize they weren't getting their ultimate goal of a seat at the table in global golf. So they pivoted and went right to the Tour. There is zero use for LIV once the players get their spots back on the big tours

I don't think LIV exists when this is all done. LiV was merely the PIFs first shot at buying their way into golf. It only took one year and hilariously bad viewership numbers for them to realize they weren't getting their ultimate goal of a seat at the table in global golf. So they pivoted and went right to the Tour. There is zero use for LIV once the players get their spots back on the big tours
Or maybe the "pivot" was always part of the plan. Create enough chaos in the market with a what's basically a sham company, said sham company gives you a vehicle to start suing the organization you want to work your way into, and the environment becomes so toxic that you're brought into the fold to make it all go away.

If we find out there's a mechanism in the LIV contracts that gets them out of completing their massive payments to their players then it might point towards this always being part of the roadmap.

But I think we can all agree that the funniest part of this is massive chode Greg Norman getting absolutely used by the Saudis and thrown in the trash the first second they had the chaBilly.

It's nice to see malignant narcissists get their comeuppance.

But I think we can all agree that the funniest part of this is massive chode Greg Norman getting absolutely used by the Saudis and thrown in the trash the first second they had the chance.
Greg and Phil are lucky to be alive after devising a sham tour that stole $2-3bil from the Saudis.

Greg and Phil are lucky to be alive after devising a sham tour that stole $2-3bil from the Saudis.
I think this is giving Greg and Phil too much credit. It's basically confirmed with these developments that they were just the Saudis' useful idiots.

Rory's comments definitely put a little bit of a different spin on things. Framing it as simply adopting LIV's funding source because the money was going to be spent regardless, and that now all that money goes to a tour run by Monahan - and even that all LIV personnel will technically report to Jay moving forward... That softens the whole "LIV is merging with the PGA Tour" thing. Dealing with the defectors will be big - can't see them kicking out current PGA Tour card holders to let in guys like Matthew Wolff. Would love to see those guys simply start from zero but no longer be banned - to have to earn their way back on from scratch.

I'd do the reinstatement like this:
If you had no status before you went to LIV, no status now. Go to q school.

If you had status you can regain the exact same status:
---2024: pay a fine in the amount of half of your signing bonus with LIV
---2025 season: pay a fine 25% of your signing bonus
---2026: keep your sign in but enjoy q school. No status regained.

I also think when it all settles that the golf fans win (minus the Saudi taint money). Should be better fields and different fun courses on the rotation.

Back