• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Seems like Cam Young will have a good shot at being on the next team
I advocated for him and Bradley to have been on this team, but Zach and the boys opted for the under performing boys club. Bradley is straight off the tee, and not many not named Scheffler are better tee to green than Young. Those 2 would have been great to put out there in alternate shot. Zalatoris is another guy who could be helpful in alternate shot next time out. And I agree with Frosty about Tiger and setting up Bethpage hard. The more you make par a good score, the more you halp our team because the Euros tend to be better putters.

morikawa seems overrated right now as well, after winning the open in 2021 he seems content being a top 20-ish golfer and dog dad

Handpick the whole team from now on, so we can avoid one-shot luck cases like Clark and the formerly awesome who are having trouble closing like Scottie

morikawa seems overrated right now as well, after winning the open in 2021 he seems content being a top 20-ish golfer and dog dad
His driver has been balky most of this year. I just see it as the game is a roller coaster for all golfers. And our captain's picks hadn't been in great form recently.

Handpick the whole team from now on, so we can avoid one-shot luck cases like Clark and the formerly awesome who are having trouble closing like Scottie
Scottie definitely is not a "formerly awesome." He's coming off the best ball striking season in like 25 years on the PGA Tour. Dude just can't putt to save his life right now - which is obviously a problem - but in any scenario Scottie is on the Ryder Cup team and should have been.

we need tiger as player-coach, charlie woods, homa, DJ, healthy zalatoris, cam young, theegala, keegan, finau, cameron champ, webb, and kisner for vibes

It’s all about playing well for 3 days. That’s what it’s all about. Make putts and win the Cup. Glad to add my groundbreaking insight.

I think the biggest thing is preparation. The heck with all the who should play with who etc. Pick the right guys and prepare right. It’s ridiculous our guys weren’t sharp and ready for the Ryder Cup.

Scottie definitely is not a "formerly awesome." He's coming off the best ball striking season in like 25 years on the PGA Tour. Dude just can't putt to save his life right now - which is obviously a problem - but in any scenario Scottie is on the Ryder Cup team and should have been.
I mean Scottie also got the pleasure of playing against the likes of Jon Rahm (x3) and Viktor Hovland. Asking him to win matches wasn't quite the same thing as asking guys like Morikawa/Spieth/Clark to beat the likes of Straka/Fleetwood/MacIntyre

Given the three-decade lack of success in our away game formula, what's the harm in leaving all the orthodoxy behind?

I mean he finished top 25 in all four majors including 3 top 10s and 2 top 3s. If there was any sort of formula we used to determine the top 12 guys who were going to the Ryder Cup and he weren't on the list then the formula was total garbage to start with.

I mean Scottie also got the pleasure of playing against the likes of Jon Rahm (x3) and Viktor Hovland. Asking him to win matches wasn't quite the same thing as asking guys like Morikawa/Spieth/Clark to beat the likes of Straka/Fleetwood/MacIntyre
Straka/Fleetwood/MacIntyre. One of these things is not like the others. One of these things just doesn't belong. Can you tell which thing is not like the others by the time I finish this song?

It’s all about playing well for 3 days. That’s what it’s all about. Make putts and win the Cup. Glad to add my groundbreaking insight.

I think the biggest thing is preparation. The heck with all the who should play with who etc. Pick the right guys and prepare right. It’s ridiculous our guys weren’t sharp and ready for the Ryder Cup.
I totally agree, I mean how can guys take 5 weeks off from tournament golf? I give Spieth a little bit of a pass as during that time they had their 2nd child, but 9 of our guys didn't hit a competitive golf shot for 5 weeks before this Cup. Heck, the PGA tour or even a non-sanctioned 2 ball event could be put on the schedule a couple of weeks before the Ryder/President's Cup to give these guys some real prep under fire. Make it highly suggested that the guys on the team play in it. The Euros take it much more seriously it seems and if our guys don't, no worries, but don't act like it's so important then.

Last edited:
Tiger makes too much sense to captain the next squad.

1. The hype would be off the charts. Redeem Team vibes.

2. He's the anti-Johnson in dealing with the media and has the type of energy that the squad needs. This coupled with a NY crowd might create the most hostile environment we've seen for the Euros.

3. While he has friends on tour, he's not soft like Johnson. He knows this is the Ryder Cup not the Best Friends Cup.

4. He's won a major at Bethpage in what was arguably the toughest set up of the course we've seen, imo.

5. He's designing courses now and has probably picked up a thing or two on how to set up courses around specific skillsets.

We're probably going to see an insane setup on Bethpage in 2025. What they do with the distances will depend on what the team is looking like, but I fully expect them cut the rough way shorter than we've ever seen it at Bethpage and to burn the hell out of the turf. If they get this right it could be another skullfucking like we saw at Whistling Straits.

And I'm typing all of this out fully expecting some limp dick pick like Stewart Cink.
I would give Tiger a home and away. Let him do Bethpage, and then let him take the boys to Adare Manor and get the first dub in 34 years.

You had em in the first half......but holy hell is this not the dumbest thing I've ever read. Scottie is #1 in the world and the best ball striker in the game. Captain Eckhouse would be stoned in the coliseum.

Assuming he doesn't do terribly in his first go at it, I would give Tiger every Ryder Cup that he wants for the next 20 years
Seemed to be pretty good at Prez cup, realize that is a different animal though.

The Prez Cup brings up another point. That's basically a practice match for the Ryder Cup and it should give the US an advantage. We get to use what we learn (for the most part - I realize it isn't the exact same roster) from the President's Cup and take it to the Ryder Cup. And it's another chance at playing match play under pressure. This should be a big advantage or us. And yet it seems to work the other way. It sure better not be an excuse that it's too much for the US to play in one of these each year and that reduces the players care factor. No way does the Prez Cup cause a disadvantage for us.

Back