• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Scheier out?

Kickoff/punting is not full of like highly complex concepts that require deep thought. Yeah, I don't think the new coach will really change much.

The snapper messed up. That's on the snapper.

There are still thoughts required, regardless of how "complex" they are.

It's also on the coach who offered a long snapper a scholarship.

they sort of were, though

yea, woof

83rd in punt return defense, net punting 88th, 101st in kickoff return yard average for, 115th in kickoff return yards against, 118 in punt return yards for

only blocked 2 kicks, 1 blocked kick allowed

0 blocked punts, 1 blocked punt allowed

and i know cam was hurt for a lot of the season but his productivity fell off a cliff too, lest we forget scheier coached TEs too

Kickoff/punting is not full of like highly complex concepts that require deep thought. Yeah, I don't think the new coach will really change much.

Return coverages and set block plays are a bit more complex

u srs with this stuff?

#HotTakes

and i know cam was hurt for a lot of the season but his productivity fell off a cliff too, lest we forget scheier coached TEs too

Yeah. Not sure how much of that I put on Scheier, though. Playcalling never really revolved around Cam this season, for whatever reason. We were originally told it was due to Cam's poor blocking abilities, which I guess would be on Scheier, but we didn't seem to lean as much on him in the receiving game as in past years, either, and I don't think Scheier was, like, siphoning his receiving abilities or anything.

Yeah. Not sure how much of that I put on Scheier, though. Playcalling never really revolved around Cam this season, for whatever reason. We were originally told it was due to Cam's poor blocking abilities, which I guess would be on Scheier, but we didn't seem to lean as much on him in the receiving game as in past years, either.

I thought a lot of this was due to our passing mentality, which very rarely went over the middle of the field (perhaps due to Wolford's height?), and relied on attacking the outsides a lot.

I thought a lot of this was due to our passing mentality, which very rarely went over the middle of the field (perhaps due to Wolford's height?), and relied on attacking the outsides a lot.

Makes sense. I think there are still ways to get Cam involved, given those limitations, but that's still probably on Ruggiero rather than Scheier. Just never seemed to be a priority for us.

I was somewhat serious, actually.

I honestly couldn't tell. I can't imagine somebody turning down a job that likely makes strong six figures in a very competitive business.

There are still thoughts required, regardless of how "complex" they are.

It's also on the coach who offered a long snapper a scholarship.
Yeah, I just feel most special teams concepts are pretty universal. Bad special teams are far more a reflection of player execution than schemes in my opinion. Agree to disagree.

I honestly couldn't tell. I can't imagine somebody turning down a job that likely makes strong six figures in a very competitive business.

I'm telling you, he's a really involved family man with kids about to leave the house soon. I doubt he would take the radio gig, though he could do that and 9-5 somewhere, but I wouldn't be remotely surprised if he stepped back to spend more time with the kids. I have literally zero idea any details with this decision though.

Yeah, I just feel most special teams concepts are pretty universal. Bad special teams are far more a reflection of player execution than schemes in my opinion. Agree to disagree.

Because they're ATH and scout team type guys, or for another reason? I assume you don't feel that way about other units.

When Clawson came to WF, he emphasized the importance of special teams, and on balance, WF's special teams have been subpar over the last 3 years. Good special teams can make up for a lot. Frank Beamer built Virginia Tech into a top 20 program on outstanding special teams.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but this isn't really an "agree to disagree" type situation.

It's not all universal, and there are a ton of different schemes and mentalities that college football teams can go with on each play. Just because it seems like all a team ever does is punt it and kick it as hard and far as they can doesn't mean that's all there is to it.

When Clawson came to WF, he emphasized the importance of special teams, and on balance, WF's special teams have been subpar over the last 3 years. Good special teams can make up for a lot. Frank Beamer built Virginia Tech into a top 20 program on outstanding special teams.

Wake has ranked in the top 35 twice nationally in the past three years in Special Teams according to Football Outsiders FEI.

Last edited:

When a team doesn't consider special teams as co equal to offense and defense, you will see a fucking losing program. Important to the extreme.

Damn, looks like I'll have to change my signature...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back