• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Scheier out?

When a team doesn't consider special teams as co equal to offense and defense, you will see a fucking losing program. Important to the extreme.
I'm not saying special teams are not important.

We ain't gonna agree on this, folks. I'll leave it there.

If Elko brings defensive assistant Clark Lea with him to ND (has this been confirmed?), WF would have 3 assistant openings this offseason. Chance to bring in fresh ideas. Very interested to see who Clawson brings in.

Lea to ND is still not confirmed. Agree with you on the opportunity to bring in fresh perspectives.

Wake has ranked in the top 35 twice nationally in the past three years in Special Teams according to Football Outsiders FEI.

Not really sure where that comes from as, heading into the bowl games, WF averaged 17.7 yards on kick returns, gave up 22.7 yards on kick returns, averaged 3.6 yards on punt returns, gave up 9.5 yards on punt returns, was 36.5 in net punting, opponents were 38.4 on net punting. WF had zero special team TDs on the season. Phil Steele had WF #81 out 126 in special team rankings.

Last edited:

H6dlZp.gif

Don't leave this here, you better just go ahead and take this with you.

Not really sure where that comes from as, heading into the bowl games, WF averaged 17.7 yards on kick returns, gave up 22.7 yards on kick returns, averaged 3.6 yards on punt returns, gave up 9.5 yards on punt returns, was 36.5 in net punting, opponents were 38.4 on net punting. WF had zero special team TDs on the season. Phil Steele had WF #81 out 126 in special team rankings.

Basically college kickers suck and we've had a pretty good one.

Didn't Sheier start "the aWAKEening" on Twitter? He had a good dig on the holes on twitter as well. He seemed very involved in the Wake community and having a great time with the Military Bowl festivities. I winced a few times this year at special teams play and thought their were a few bad decisions coming out of the end zone. Despite these things I hope this was his decision to leave with something already in the works for his future. I hate to see him blindsided.

I realize you're saying that you don't believe coaching is not as important to special teams success as it is in other areas, not that special teams aren't important. But if coaching is the non-factor that you're suggesting, why is it that certain coaches and assistants that tend to have good special teams almost always do?

Didn't Sheier start "the aWAKEening" on Twitter? He had a good dig on the holes on twitter as well. He seemed very involved in the Wake community and having a great time with the Military Bowl festivities. I winced a few times this year at special teams play and thought their were a few bad decisions coming out of the end zone. Despite these things I hope this was his decision to leave with something already in the works for his future. I hate to see him blindsided.

Hasn't he been our primary recruiter the last few years as well? Certainly seems like it from his active Twitter feed.

Wake has ranked in the top 35 twice nationally in the past three years in Special Teams according to Football Outsiders FEI.

Weaver, Kinal, and Maggio have masked a lot of problems.

Didn't he have to publicly apologize for the remarks towards UNC?

yea, woof

83rd in punt return defense, net punting 88th, 101st in kickoff return yard average for, 115th in kickoff return yards against, 118 in punt return yards for

only blocked 2 kicks, 1 blocked kick allowed

0 blocked punts, 1 blocked punt allowed

and i know cam was hurt for a lot of the season but his productivity fell off a cliff too, lest we forget scheier coached TEs too

Yeah. Not sure how much of that I put on Scheier, though. Playcalling never really revolved around Cam this season, for whatever reason. We were originally told it was due to Cam's poor blocking abilities, which I guess would be on Scheier, but we didn't seem to lean as much on him in the receiving game as in past years, either, and I don't think Scheier was, like, siphoning his receiving abilities or anything.

I thought a lot of this was due to our passing mentality, which very rarely went over the middle of the field (perhaps due to Wolford's height?), and relied on attacking the outsides a lot.

Clawson coached TEs this year, not Scheier.

Clawson stated that he wanted himself to be more hands on with the team in practice and wanted to allow Scheier to give his full attention to special teams.

H6dlZp.gif

Don't leave this here, you better just go ahead and take this with you.
Lol, there's no L to take. It's the classic coaching vs. player execution argument that pervades sports message boards. It's not a black-and-white issue. Just looking at kickoff return yard average over the past few years and randomly selecting a team, take LSU.

2014: 26.7 (2nd in country)
2015: 20.4 (83rd in country)
2016: 19.1 (96th in country)

The special teams coach did not change during that time frame. I'd be curious to see a larger study done. I don't know, immediately attributing bad special teams play to the coach just seems unsound to me.

I realize you're saying that you don't believe coaching is not as important to special teams success as it is in other areas, not that special teams aren't important. But if coaching is the non-factor that you're suggesting, why is it that certain coaches and assistants that tend to have good special teams almost always do?

Is this true tho? Serious question. I know everyone brings up Beamer Ball wrt blocked kicks. Are other teams consistently good at ST? I've just always assumed it was kinda random.

Back