• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Scout's Relationship with the Athletic Dept.

I don't want to be the debbie downer here, but most of us can't fairly expect more than stock responses from the Athletic Department. Most of us are pretty young, random Wake fans. Its like if you own 5 shares of Microsoft stock and start calling up managers at MS expecting detailed answers on the company, not gonna happen.

I do agree with the problems with the censorship and heightened sensitivity, and that's the main reason I'll give these boards a shot (plus I can use dirty words). I do think there's a bit of misplaced self-importance among our younger posters (myself included at times). Two Monocle Club members probably trump all of our DC contributions for a couple years put together. That's just how the world works. And I'm not saying we don't deserve respect and some sort of answer, but to get detailed explanations of the inner workings of the AD are probably best left out of the public eye.

All that being said, someone owes EVERYONE an explanation for [Redacted].

Good post Freek.

I think most of the people in the AD do view the younger people coming out of Wake as rather "self-entitled", which I would agree with.

That being said, while the younger people do not have a lot of money now to donate, it would be asinine to isolate the majority of them considering it is likely that a few of us will go on to make a lot of money in the real world.

Scout sucked on so many levels:

1. Antiquated board functions.
2. Inability to deal with rogue virus attacks for months.
3. Poor insider information. The real value in insider information is for football recruiting, and they were very poor in this regard.
4. More concern about protecting WF image than running a WF board. If you are a troll from another school, you have free reign, yet you say something that the AD dept doesn't like and they jumped into action like a team of ninjas.

The only reason I would have loyalty to that site is traffic.

There's two types of football recruiting insider information. The first type goes like this:
1. Joe Blow is listing Wake in his top 10 along with 2 or 3 ACC schools and 6 or 7 regional and national powerhouse schools. He'd be a huge get for Grobe.
2. Joe Blow hasn't narrowed his list and Wake wasn't mentioned in his last several Scout articles written by one of the several dozen Scout writers for regional powerhouse football programs' Scout sites. Joe Blow wants to major in engineering.
3. Joe Blow verbals to some other school and is never heard from again.

The other type is this:
1. Our staff really likes Sleeper Recruit. He's only been offered by App State and Elon and isn't listed on Scout, but he'd be a great get for Grobe.
2. Sleeper Recruit verbals to Wake and is only heard from again when the same insider poster complains that team lacks talent and you can't blame Grobe for that.

There's two types of information. What Scout reporters get from cozying up to 17 year old boys and what our coaching staff wants us to know.

I'd much rather have insider analysis that's not from the "inside" of recruiting or our coaching staff, but actual knowledge about the sports.

I think we can rightly expect our AD to understand that we're not fucking idiots. That's what I think.

If you think Buzz is REALLY the guy, fine. Just don't tell me you were looking for someone with postseason success, then hire a guy with none.

We are working on getting a couple football recruiting insiders on board. No promises, but the effort is being made.

I think we can rightly expect our AD to understand that we're not fucking idiots. That's what I think.

If you think Buzz is REALLY the guy, fine. Just don't tell me you were looking for someone with postseason success, then hire a guy with none.

I think this is more than a fair view point.
Too bad Ron Wellman thinks of himself higher than everybody else considers him. Combined.

There is no way he says that he, "couldn't be happier" with the basketball program if he didn't consider himself untouchable. Wellman has become drunk on power and considers himself above reproach.

It was a sad, sad day for me when I came to that realization. Used to love Ron, but the man must be put in his place. He isn't the god he thinks he is.

Hot chicks that Scout got to be reporters. Until I actually found Erin Hartigan promo clips on YouTube I was suspicious that they just used pictures of hot chicks in bylines of the same old reports to get subscribers.

Wait.... who are these girls? Are they described as "insiders" or what?

Scout has hired hot chicks for all regions. And our hot chick, Kate, is smoking. She's a solid writer to boot. Better than the rest, that's for sure.

Wow, just found this set of boards. Definitely going to be keeping an eye over here. Count me in on hating the PM communication and censoring that went on at DS.

Back