• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Season Long College Basketball Discussion Thread

Kentucky is probably going to lose this game, Calipari's teams don't gel until conference play or later

It looks like Kansas is missing a certain big man coach...

Calipari's platoon system is completely new to me.

When has it been used before in college basketball?

And 7 SEC teams have already lost games and LSU may soon become the 8th.

There will be blood

This platoon shit makes Kentucky unstoppable recruiting wise

Brilliance

Didn't realize Eric Musselman was an assistant at LSU. Big drop off from being a NBA head coach 7 years ago.

KY is better than the 76ers. Lakers too if Kobe isn't hot. Glancing at their schedule, their pre-SEC schedule is tougher than their SEC schedule, which has 2 games against Fla and 1 at LSU. Toughest game is at Lville You can prolly cede KY an undefeated season and roll through the NCAAs.

I was going to start a thread on other ACC teams previews and give my UVA preview but may as well just do it here. Went to the 1st 2 home games, though last night was nothing special against a horrible SC St team. UVA is good once again - really good. They're not going to miss Joe Harris at all. But there will be games where they'll miss Akil Mitchell when Tobey and Atkins get cement-headed.

Guard: Brogdon will be their leading scorer and Perrantes is just a nice PG who can score when he needs to but is unselfish and doesn't care about his stats. Backing them up are a couple of frosh. Devon Hall is a 6'5" redshirt freshman who is their back-up PG. Pretty non-descript kid who isn't assertive looking for his shot and throws some soft passes but looks competent enough to give them a few minutes here and there. But I love the 3*, 6'5" kid they got out of Toronto to play SG, Mariel Shayok. Although it would be cooler if his name was Shayok Shayok. Kid has a strong body already, a nice looking outside shot, solid handles, nice vision as a passer and quick hands as a defender. Further along already than Brogdon was as a freshman. I guess he was under-recruited because he is Canadian. But Tony Bennett has a knack for getting 3* kids who can outplay a lot of 4* kids.

Frontcourt: Justin Anderson is still a freak athlete, though apparently struggled with his weight in the offseason, but should be in good shape soon. He has worked a lot on his outside shot - has a better and more compact shooting motion and is now deadly from either corner, not as deadly from 45 degrees or the top of the key. He always looks like he's having fun out there, which appears to irritate Bennett occasionally, but he'll be a lot of fun to watch his last 2 years. Nolte looks marginally improved and a bit stronger but still is a defensive liability and a bit soft. He needs to look more agressively for his shot when he's out there because that's the reason his ass is in the game. Atkins is the 1 senior and looks a bit better offensively and defensively, but between him and Tobey, they'll see a lot of foul trouble in games against good frontcourts, and that's when they'll miss Mitchell. They're redshirting the New Zealand kid so no idea about him. I also really like Isaiah Wilkins, who is a 6'7" combo F. Hasn't scored much yet, but is athletic, can pass and defends well. He tends to over-help and over-hedge a bit in the packline man, but that will be easier to correct than a kid who is late helping and who doesn't hedge. Get him in the weight room and he should be a major contributor the next few years. Again just another good 3*. As for lil Stith, I hope lil Chill is more like his dad than lil Stith is. I don't see him as an ACC talent at this point.

Should be about as good this year as last and compete with UNC and Lville for 2nd place to Dick. Some interesting pre-ACC tests with GW, Md@Alaska and VCU coming up.

Kentucky is unreal. The last time I saw a team like that was the UNLV running rebs. Kentucky is going to walk through the SEC. At Louisville is the only game I see being close this year. They aren't going to lose at home, even to UNC. Everyone else is playing for 2nd place in my opinion. They have 6 legitimate shot blockers, and 3 of them are playing at almost all points in the game. Their perimeter defenders funnel everything to the lane. If the other team's guards penetrate it opens up the counter fast break. Their big men can score in the post, and they have plenty of outside shooting to compliment teams that just pack it in. Their offensive rebounding is almost an unfair advantage. This year's Kentucky team would be last year's team by at least 15-20 points on a neutral court. Kansas is a REALLY good team, and they looked like a junior high squad out there.

What is this platoon system? I have no idea what that is. Do they have an entire 2nd team that they sub in at once?

What is this platoon system? I have no idea what that is. Do they have an entire 2nd team that they sub in at once?

tumblr_lxncj0XgWw1qgj4zoo1_250.gif

Correct. The 1st and 2nd teams have pretty equal playing time too.

Back