• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Season long PGA tour thread--the presidents cup from south korea

deacs1995

i gave at the office
Reaction score
I think frankly sucks without Tiger Woods.

Webb Simpson tied for the lead at -8 first round at the Sony open in Honolulu

Arnie's grandson Sam Saunders also playing the tourney 8 shots back

Last edited:
If you think Tiger Woods is all the PGA has to offer, then you're missing a lot of really talented players.

Tiger is old as dirt, physically never the same, and has developed a mental block in majors

Webb was even par after 8 holes then birdied 8 of last 10 (finished on front 9).

If you think Tiger Woods is all the PGA has to offer, then you're missing a lot of really talented players.

Exactly. An actual fan of golf can appreciate what Tiger accomplished and brought to the game but tournaments that are anyone's to win come Sunday is what makes golf exciting. If you truly enjoy golf, watching the 5-10 players who are hot play four days, any with a shot to win, is what it's about. Watching Spieth and Fowler and Day tangle with McIroy and Scott and even the old guys- Mickelson, Furyk, Sergio: that's what's great now.

Not a huge Patrick Reed fan, but he has as more wins at his age than almost any other PGA Tour golfer except Tiger (forgot the exact stat) after winning last week, and he seems very mentally tough.

Very appropriate that the first line of your season long thread is about Tiger, who is not in the damn tournament, not Webb's seven birdies on the front nine with a new putter. You should write for ESPN.

Interesting. when is the deadline to make the change? End of this year?

2016 season I believe. Webb is wise not to wait till then, I believe. It was interesting that in his interview with the Golf Channel following his round, Webb admitted to being nervous in attempting to use the short putter in competition. In the brief clip I saw, he seemed a bit awkward with it; but the results should boost his confidence.

I've found the last handful of years where Tiger was mostly irrelevant to be the most I've enjoyed watching golf in a long time. So many great young players and characters getting increased visibility.

2016 season I believe. Webb is wise not to wait till then, I believe. It was interesting that in his interview with the Golf Channel following his round, Webb admitted to being nervous in attempting to use the short putter in competition. In the brief clip I saw, he seemed a bit awkward with it; but the results should boost his confidence.

I'm interested in seeing if they adopt it on January 1st 2016, or if they start at the beginning of the 2015-2016 wraparound season in October.

What was the deal with long putters that led to them being banned?

Seems like the newest golf club technology is available to all players. If it's not about an equal playing field, why ban certain clubs?

What was the deal with long putters that led to them being banned?

Seems like the newest golf club technology is available to all players. If it's not about an equal playing field, why ban certain clubs?

It's not the long putter itself that is banned. It's the technique of anchoring it to your body at a fixed point. The governing bodies felt that the resulting usage of the putter was not an actual "stroke" in the classic sense.

I agree with the anchoring ban at the elite level, but I think it should have been done 20 years ago. I don't agree with the ban as they chose to do it where it covered all golfers. The last thing golf needs at a time when participation numbers are dwindling is another stuffy rule that may make the game harder for some of the higher handicappers who play it for recreation.

If the governing bodies really wanted to go after something that is an affront to the tradition of the game, they should start and end their search with the golf ball.

It's not the long putter itself that is banned. It's the technique of anchoring it to your body at a fixed point. The governing bodies felt that the resulting usage of the putter was not an actual "stroke" in the classic sense.

I agree with the anchoring ban at the elite level, but I think it should have been done 20 years ago. I don't agree with the ban as they chose to do it where it covered all golfers. The last thing golf needs at a time when participation numbers are dwindling is another stuffy rule that may make the game harder for some of the higher handicappers who play it for recreation.

If the governing bodies really wanted to go after something that is an affront to the tradition of the game, they should start and end their search with the golf ball.

Very well said. The anchoring aspect substantially, not completely, reduces the effect of nerves from the putting stroke. But "nerves" are a huge part of competition, especially for professionals and the highest levels of amateurism.

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation. What's wrong with the golf ball?

Back