• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Season long PGA tour thread--the presidents cup from south korea

I'm fine with Love. In 2012 USA led 10-6 after team matches. Usually that's where we get creamed, so he did something right. The Euros just crushed us in singles, which is harder for a captain to impact. He was not perfect (i.e., Sunday pin on 17), but from a team perspective, it's hard for me to criticize the pick.

Plus, as DC mentioned, Zinger and Couples did not take part in the "task force." As goofy as the group concept seems, I can understand why they went with a participant.

Ryder Cup captain is just above caddie as far as influencing the outcome of the matches.

Players gotta play.

In some weird way I'm enjoying the Euros kicking our asses Cup after Cup. The global golf game is so much more than it's ever been before. Plus, IMHO it's hard to hate guys like McIlroy, McDowell, Stenson, and Justin Rose. There are some bad apples on the Euro side but a lot of great golfers that seem like good guys. Easy to root for.

it's not like you can't root against them for one weekend every two years

In some weird way I'm enjoying the Euros kicking our asses Cup after Cup. The global golf game is so much more than it's ever been before. Plus, IMHO it's hard to hate guys like McIlroy, McDowell, Stenson, and Justin Rose. There are some bad apples on the Euro side but a lot of great golfers that seem like good guys. Easy to root for.

I don't root for the Euros, but I certainly don't hate them like I used to and don't take it as badly when we lose. But yeah, I despise Poulter, but other than him and to a lesser extent Westwood, the Euro team is pretty likeable. When the Euro team consisted of guys like Faldo, Monty, Seve, Olazabal, Westwood, a younger and less mature Sergio and Torrence, I really hated them. Seems like the only likeable guy in those days was Clarke.

I'm fine with Love. In 2012 USA led 10-6 after team matches. Usually that's where we get creamed, so he did something right. The Euros just crushed us in singles, which is harder for a captain to impact. He was not perfect (i.e., Sunday pin on 17), but from a team perspective, it's hard for me to criticize the pick.

Plus, as DC mentioned, Zinger and Couples did not take part in the "task force." As goofy as the group concept seems, I can understand why they went with a participant.

From what I understand Couples wasn't invited. Zinger pitched a hissy fit that the PGA wouldn't hear his plan before the task force was formed and didn't accept an invite.

The PGA has got to get away from the petty nonsense where they won't take someone who has captained a President's Cup team, and only selecting past PGA Champs.

We also have a long trend of bible thumpers as captain in recent years. The exception was Watson.

From what I understand Couples wasn't invited. Zinger pitched a hissy fit that the PGA wouldn't hear his plan before the task force was formed and didn't accept an invite.

The PGA has got to get away from the petty nonsense where they won't take someone who has captained a President's Cup team, and only selecting past PGA Champs.

We also have a long trend of bible thumpers as captain in recent years. The exception was Azinger.

I thought Azinger was a bible thumper. I know Lehman is, though I still really like him. Are Watson and Love bible thumpers?

We also have a long trend of bible thumpers as captain in recent years. The exception was Azinger.

The politics around it are silly for sure. I had thought Couples declined because he didn't like all of the extra stuff that goes with the Ryder Cup, but that could easily been on the PGA's end.

I think Azinger fits into the group you mention, but he has a very different demeanor than Love/Pavin/Lehman. He would have been a great pick, but he may have acted too full of himself for the old boys in the PGA.

Love is the polar opposite of an exciting pick, but again, something worked last time in the team matches. Maybe he didn't give a good enough pep talk Saturday night, but I think more had to do with Ian Poulter going ballistic late on Saturday and numerous Euros (Rose) blowing up the greens on Sunday.

I thought Azinger was a bible thumper. I know Lehman is, though I still really like him. Are Watson and Love bible thumpers?

I meant to type Watson was the exception.

Love is big time into it.

I wonder if Ted Bishop leaked this as a final parting "FU" to the PGA?

Love made 3 mistakes that can someone in a "coaching" role could have prevented/minimized:

1. Sunday pairings - Never liked sending Bubba/Webb/Keegan out the first 3. You knew Europe would send their guns out early, and despite how well those guys had played, it was their first time in that setting playing on their own. We couldn't lost those first 3 matches (4 if you count Phil in the #4 spot) and we did. Flipped momentum completely before most guys were even getting into their match. All told, not that egregious of a mistake, more hindsight than anything.

2. On #17, putts from the right corner were breaking away from the water and it fooled Webb, Furyk (I think) and maybe a couple of others. Most guys were hitting their tee shot long/left into that back bunker and the bunker shots were going past the hole. From there, guys were all misreading the comeback putt. After it happened once, Love or one of the assistants should have been informing caddies in the later groups of this.

3. On #18 - nearly ever American player that came to 18 hit their approach shot well long, like 40+ feet. Like #2 above, once it happened a time or two, Love or the assistants should have been alerting caddies in later groups that the shot was playing short.

Those were some minor events that had they been handled better, could have changed the outcome. College golf teams/coaches are big on using players in early groups to gauge course conditions, hole locations etc and then filtering that information back to other players coming through. I think that approach is one thing sorely missing from RC captains and is an easy way for them to influence the outcome.

DL3 is a good choice. Will dominated yesterday and was playing with Haas. Great experience for him for sure. He's a stud.

Ryder Cup captain is just above caddie as far as influencing the outcome of the matches.

Players gotta play.

I agree that players gotta play, but disagree that RC captain is just above caddie. I do think, though, that the RC captain can help lose the matches (Watson) more so that he can contribute to winning the matches (Azinger).

I don't root for the Euros, but I certainly don't hate them like I used to and don't take it as badly when we lose. But yeah, I despise Poulter, but other than him and to a lesser extent Westwood, the Euro team is pretty likeable. When the Euro team consisted of guys like Faldo, Monty, Seve, Olazabal, Westwood, a younger and less mature Sergio and Torrence, I really hated them. Seems like the only likeable guy in those days was Clarke.

I root like hell for the Americans, but my take is the same as this. I just don't hate the Euros like I used to.

Have to figure it was going to be someone on the Ryder Cup task force. Floyd, Love, Stricker, or Lehman... I think the whole point of the task force is to put together a continuous strategy regardless of who the captain is.

It's not like the Euro team is just picking genius captains. They have a system and the players are in synch with the leadership.

Surprised Azinger wasn't on the task force. Has Azinger expressed a desire to captain again? If so, odd he is not included unless he pissed someone off.

Edit: I see Karma's explanation.

Last edited:
Love made 3 mistakes that can someone in a "coaching" role could have prevented/minimized:

1. Sunday pairings - Never liked sending Bubba/Webb/Keegan out the first 3. You knew Europe would send their guns out early, and despite how well those guys had played, it was their first time in that setting playing on their own. We couldn't lost those first 3 matches (4 if you count Phil in the #4 spot) and we did. Flipped momentum completely before most guys were even getting into their match. All told, not that egregious of a mistake, more hindsight than anything.

2. On #17, putts from the right corner were breaking away from the water and it fooled Webb, Furyk (I think) and maybe a couple of others. Most guys were hitting their tee shot long/left into that back bunker and the bunker shots were going past the hole. From there, guys were all misreading the comeback putt. After it happened once, Love or one of the assistants should have been informing caddies in the later groups of this.

3. On #18 - nearly ever American player that came to 18 hit their approach shot well long, like 40+ feet. Like #2 above, once it happened a time or two, Love or the assistants should have been alerting caddies in later groups that the shot was playing short.

Those were some minor events that had they been handled better, could have changed the outcome. College golf teams/coaches are big on using players in early groups to gauge course conditions, hole locations etc and then filtering that information back to other players coming through. I think that approach is one thing sorely missing from RC captains and is an easy way for them to influence the outcome.

All good points. Re: communication, I'll never forget Seve doing this during the 1995 Ryder Cup. He was storming all over the place telling everyone what to do. Of course losing the first match 4&3 will give you the chance to do that, but he clearly inserted himself into the strategic decision-making of players behind him.

Also, re: 17, the right pin location didn't seem to make much sense given most of our guys drew the ball.

We can now count a European Ryder Cup Captain for Wake Forest with the recent announcement of Clarke.

This will be the 5th time a Wake Forest guy has been a Ryder Cup captain. Time for trivia. Who can name the others and the years they were the US Captain?

We can now count a European Ryder Cup Captain for Wake Forest with the recent announcement of Clarke.

This will be the 5th time a Wake Forest guy has been a Ryder Cup captain. Time for trivia. Who can name the others and the years they were the US Captain?

Palmer (twice - not sure about years)
Strange - 2002
Wadkins - 1995

Seems like a reach. Did Clarke stay long enough to play in a tournament?

Congrats to Clarke. He's a great guy. But here's to hoping that he does as poor a job as the last Wake guy.

Back