• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Season long PGA tour thread--the presidents cup from south korea

While I like watching golf here and there generally, and I more religiously watch the majors, this is my favorite 3 week stretch of the year. Torrey, Pebble and Riviera. In terms of non-major regular tour stops, is there another stop that is as pretty as those 3 courses? The only stretch that would come close was when they played the Irish, Scottish and Open in a 4 week period, though now the Euros moved the Irish up a month.

While I like watching golf here and there generally, and I more religiously watch the majors, this is my favorite 3 week stretch of the year. Torrey, Pebble and Riviera. In terms of non-major regular tour stops, is there another stop that is as pretty as those 3 courses? The only stretch that would come close was when they played the Irish, Scottish and Open in a 4 week period, though now the Euros moved the Irish up a month.

The Irish at Royal County Down will be fantastic.

I totally agree. I've played the two public courses you mention and would love to weasel my way onto Riveria. Not holding my breath, though. Numbers 7-10 at PB has to be the most beautiful stretch of golf in the world.

I totally agree. I've played the two public courses you mention and would love to weasel my way onto Riveria. Not holding my breath, though. Numbers 7-10 at PB has to be the most beautiful stretch of golf in the world.

So what did you get on #8 and where did you put your approach?

It's been twenty years. I remember parring seven with a real good wedge, one of those shots you always remember.
I don't have the card, but I think I bogied eight, nine, and ten.

After the round, my friend and I were on Seventeen Mile Drive and we got to the part that runs through a few of the Cypruss Point holes. In the direction we were going, the clubhouse and the ocean were on our right. I really wanted to see the par three 16th, so we parked the car off the side of the road, crawled under the fence, and walked out onto the tee. I still have the picture of me on that 16th tee with that single wind-blasted tree and the green behind me. We ran
like hell when a twosome coming off of 15 came up to the tee.

Riviera is by far the most architecturally compelling of the 3, but the views pale in comparison. Random fact - the famous 10th hole actually has 2 greens. The one you see in tournament play is only used about a third of the time.

Aside from the obvious visuals, my lasting impression of Pebble was I never could figure out how they got US Open crowds out on that property and moved them around. It didn't feel that spacious. I also remember how hard it was to hit those tiny, tilted greens when they were softened up for resort play. I can't even imagine how hard it must be for a US Open setup.

Torrey Pines South is probably the most boring major championship course I've ever set foot on. Just nothing interesting at all about the architecture. Some nice views and a bunch of long LONG holes.

Played one of my best rounds ever at PB. Shot a 38 on the front nine, with a triple on the 106 yd par 3. Hole 8 might be one of my favorite holes I've ever played. Caddy said don't hit it past 230 so I take out my hybrid and put it out 220, 5 iron in downhill with a natural fade and made a 10 footer for birdie.

And favorite part is the course is dog friendly so they allowed and actually encouraged my dog to walk the entire 18 with us.

Last edited:
I've got a few similar memories of great shots I've hit. The eighth hole at Royal Troon is a par three called the Postage Stamp. There is a bunker a few feet to the left of the green called the Coffin Bunker. I hit a wedge to within three feet and as we were walking off the tee, my caddie stops me and says, "Wait. You hit a shot like that to the Postage Stamp, you should walk to the green carryng your putter."

One of the best walks of my golfing life.

I've got a few similar memories of great shots I've hit. The eighth hole at Royal Troon is a par three called the Postage Stamp. There is a bunker a few feet to the left of the green called the Coffin Bunker. I hit a wedge to within three feet and as we were walking off the tee, my caddie stops me and says, "Wait. You hit a shot like that to the Postage Stamp, you should walk to the green carryng your putter."

One of the best walks of my golfing life.

I had a similar moment on the 17th at St. Andrews. A friend and I were playing a match with two locals we got paired with. I had 175 left to a back right pin, with a solid right to left breeze blowing. Anyone who plays with me knows I don't cut the ball very well, so my usual play would be to take it out over the road and hope it draws back on the wind, and then it wasn't going to stay anywhere near the pin. So I went ahead and tried to hit a high cut up into the breeze and to my amazement I didn't just pull it off, but this thing never left the pin. Ended up 3 feet behind the hole. The feeling of that shot and watching it fly was the purest golf moment I think I've ever felt in my life.

And then I missed the fucking putt.

Played one of my best rounds ever at PB. Shot a 38 on the front nine, with a triple on the 106 yd par 3. Hole 8 might be one of my favorite holes I've ever played. Caddy said don't hit it past 230 so I take out my hybrid and put it out 220, 5 iron in downhill with a natural fade and made a 10 footer for birdie.

And favorite part is the course is dog friendly so they allowed and actually encouraged my dog to walk the entire 18 with us.

That's great. There's a groundskeeper who always has his dog on the course, as well. The Monterey Peninsula has to be one of the most dog-friendly places I've been. I can't wait to get back out there over Memorial Day - I'm thinking about trying Poppy Hills or Del Monte.

That's great. There's a groundskeeper who always has his dog on the course, as well. The Monterey Peninsula has to be one of the most dog-friendly places I've been. I can't wait to get back out there over Memorial Day - I'm thinking about trying Poppy Hills or Del Monte.

Never played Del Monte, but Poppy is great. Very different feel than other courses on the peninsula. It is back in from the beaches and runs through the forest. Nice layout and I think just recently renovated.

Any of y'all ever play Spyglass? We don't get the bigger screen shots of that course during this tournament, but from the shots we do get, it looks quite cool as well. I think it was an old RTJ layout.

Riviera is by far the most architecturally compelling of the 3, but the views pale in comparison. Random fact - the famous 10th hole actually has 2 greens. The one you see in tournament play is only used about a third of the time.

Aside from the obvious visuals, my lasting impression of Pebble was I never could figure out how they got US Open crowds out on that property and moved them around. It didn't feel that spacious. I also remember how hard it was to hit those tiny, tilted greens when they were softened up for resort play. I can't even imagine how hard it must be for a US Open setup.

Torrey Pines South is probably the most boring major championship course I've ever set foot on. Just nothing interesting at all about the architecture. Some nice views and a bunch of long LONG holes.

#humblebrag

you've played some great places, that's for sure.

Spyglass is probably the hardest but if you have just one round to play, it has to be Pebble. Not even close.

I had a similar moment on the 17th at St. Andrews. A friend and I were playing a match with two locals we got paired with. I had 175 left to a back right pin, with a solid right to left breeze blowing. Anyone who plays with me knows I don't cut the ball very well, so my usual play would be to take it out over the road and hope it draws back on the wind, and then it wasn't going to stay anywhere near the pin. So I went ahead and tried to hit a high cut up into the breeze and to my amazement I didn't just pull it off, but this thing never left the pin. Ended up 3 feet behind the hole. The feeling of that shot and watching it fly was the purest golf moment I think I've ever felt in my life.

And then I missed the fucking putt.

Reminds me of my favorite shot this past year. It was in a state Amateur Fourball at Lake Presidential and we were doing ok - borderline top 5 we were guessing - when we got to 15. My partner won a Pub Links qualifier a few years back and played at Bandon Dunes, so he's legit good. I'm like a 4 that aspires to be good but I can't quite get over the consistency barrier.

Anyway, #15 is a 440 yard par 4. Hardest hole on the course I think. Uphill drive, trees and hazard/OB on left. Dogleg left with a huge crevice that starts about 280 from the tee and falls off like a cliff in front of the green. The approach is way uphill, green is pretty small. Only bailout is right because there's one bunker, anything more than 5 yards off that green anywhere other than that bunker is probably bouncing down the hills into hazards or leaving you with an unplayable. My partner steps up and hits consecutive drives OB left after not missing a fairway all day. I play it safe with 2 iron up the right side but it gets no roll uphill and sits on a side-hill lie, leaving me right at 190 left up the hill. Partner says - "So I'm in my pocket - have a 205 yard cut shot off that lie in your bag today?" I took 5 iron, choked down a bit, shortened by back swing and hit a laser right over the pin that stuck to 5 feet. Even made the putt. Definitely one of the more clutch tournament shots I've ever hit.

Of course we then bogeyed the next par 3 and failed to birdie the driveable par 4 17th or the short par 5 18th - finished 3 shots out of the money I think. So that part kind of sucked.

Never played Del Monte, but Poppy is great. Very different feel than other courses on the peninsula. It is back in from the beaches and runs through the forest. Nice layout and I think just recently renovated.

Yeah, they just finished completely renovating Poppy a year or so ago - I definitely want to check it out.

I finally played Spyglass recently and it is amazing. The first five or six holes are hard to beat. I had always heard how hard it was, but I honestly think Spanish Bay is just as difficult. At least at Spyglass you have a chance if you shank a drive. At Spanish Bay there's a really good chance you'll be in an environmentally sensitive area that you're not supposed to walk in, much less play out of.

If anybody is going out that way soon, check out the Pacific Grove municipal course. The first nine holes are very standard muni stuff, but the back nine are a lot of fun right on the ocean. And it's about 1/10th the cost of a round at Spyglass or PB.

To LK's point, it is an absolute nightmare getting around the Del Monte Forest when an event like the Concours, the Wine and Food Fest, or the Pro-Am is going on. I can't imagine what it's like when the U.S. Open is there, but I plan to find out in four years.

pga and nfl can't compete w nascar ratings good call by tiger although I love my racing golf double tvs on sundee

Back