• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Season Opener Discussion: Liberty

This is the kind of thing that seems to come back and bite us!

Glad we have a fast defense...or, it seems we do.

This is the kind of thing that seems to come back and bite us!

Glad we have a fast defense...or, it seems we do.

Too often it does. We should go out there Saturday and take control of the game and business. Good teams will do that. Play with a purpose get the win and get better. If we do get back ups in there as group, we need to let them play too and build some depth and aggressiveness.

Too often it does. We should go out there Saturday and take control of the game and business. Good teams will do that. Play with a purpose get the win and get better. If we do get back ups in there as group, we need to let them play too and build some depth and aggressiveness.

I agree. A great scenario would be that the game is essentially over by half and the back-ups get lots of 2nd half snaps.....and that Coach permits the QBs to stay aggressive using the pass game until the last 7 minutes or so of the game.

If this game is close coming down to the wire, I don't want to think where this season will go.

Anyone think that Coach Grobe would permit the offense to score 50 if we had the opportunity and didn't need the points?

I agree. A great scenario would be that the game is essentially over by half and the back-ups get lots of 2nd half snaps.....and that Coach permits the QBs to stay aggressive using the pass game until the last 7 minutes or so of the game.

If this game is close coming down to the wire, I don't want to think where this season will go.

Anyone think that Coach Grobe would permit the offense to score 50 if we had the opportunity and didn't need the points?

no way...grobie will never run it up.

Loh -

Nowadays I believe Grobe thinks that no score is "safe" and will indeed build up a high score if possible. If it's out of reach midway through the 4th quarter he'll call off the dogs but I think his thinking has changed on this in the past couple of years.

Can't recall any game under Grobe where he has run it up. He just doesn't do it....period. If it's 41-7 in the 3rd he'll get the starters out and run the clock as much as possible.

Anyone know if our kick coverage schemes are going to be substantially different? That has been a major weakness every season in which we don't have a kicker who consistently puts the ball in the end zone or a punter with sufficient hang time to nullify returns. Kick coverage has been embarrassing for almost as long as I can recall.

New Rules 2012

Anyone know if our kick coverage schemes are going to be substantially different? That has been a major weakness every season in which we don't have a kicker who consistently puts the ball in the end zone or a punter with sufficient hang time to nullify returns. Kick coverage has been embarrassing for almost as long as I can recall.

Thought I had read yesterday that a new rule is kicking from +5, and if a touchback teams start from the 25. Plus punt rushing can no longer 'leap/jump' over blockers?

link: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...f-rules-safety-tradition-and-embracing-change

Last edited:
Thought I had read yesterday that a new rule is kicking from +5, and if a touchback teams start from the 25. Plus punt rushing can no longer 'leap/jump' over blockers?

Even with the 5 additional yards, Newman only had TB's on 18% of his kicks last year. It will help us a lot but won't end all of our problems.

I think our kick offs will be for 50% touchbacks. Our punts should improve with Kinal's hang time and he is better at pinning in the redzone than wulfeck

Will Kinal be punting rugby style/regular style or both? Seems like Wulfeck sort of mixed it up last year.

james -

Our punts should improve with Kinal's hang time and he is better at pinning in the redzone than wulfeck

The obvious risk with Kinal is consistency....no 14yd whoopsies please !

Are you saying Kinal has learned the pooch punt as well as the art of short coffin-corner punts ?

I haven't seen him try coffin corners, but I did see him pooch much better than Wulfeck during the scrimmage. He did have one bad 25yd shank.

If Wake doesn't go for the kill in the second half and we're not up by 4 touchdowns, that's booing material. I love the hell out of Grobe but we need a kill in week 1 this week, we don't needa 21-20 squeaker.

I saw Mate punting in the spring game. My thought then was "If he tries to start the kick from down low like that, he's gonna get it back in his face." Maybe he looks different now. We'll see.
Opponents like this make me nervous. I lettered in pessimism. My concern here centers on our continuing struggle to put together an offensive line - the major task before us last spring. Most of the guys who we will put on the line won't have much experience and inexperienced players tend to make mistakes. In our history, such mistakes seem to occur when they will do the most damage (e.g. big yardage called back for holding or a big return negated by a block in the back).
And another thing: I'm tired of Wake Forest being Hamstring U!

This game will be much closer than most of us want it to be. We could lose. We have no idea how good our defense is since it has been playing against a Div 3 OL all Fall. Even Liberty will stonewall our OL and we will have no running game. Hopefully, Tanner can pass enough on short routes to compensate for the lack of OL talent. Those of you who are hoping to rest the starters in the 2nd half are going to be disappointed. I hope I am wrong, but I am truly worried that we could lose this game.

Back