• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Serial (podcast)

The short answer is no ... but yes. So no, all the research and interviews have been done/recorded. However, they are apparently producing the episodes in real time (basically, putting the pieces of the puzzle together) and are open to further research/interviews if needed. Koenig explained this on This American Life after the first one aired there.

Listened to this on my plane rides last week-- i'm so addicted! One question though-- is the podcast happening in real time? Like for example, did SK the UVA innocence project involved just last week? If not, I'm wondering why there aren't any more readily available spoilers.

“In the Motion for Recusal, the State’s Attorney for Baltimore City alleged that in an unrelated criminal case in which Gutierrez represented defendant Adnan Syed before Judge Quarles, Judge Quarles had accused Gutierrez of lying, apparently within the hearing of one of the jurors. That juror allegedly passed a note to Judge Quarles asking, “In view of the fact that you have determined that Ms. Gutierrez is a liar, will she be removed [from the case] and we start over?” The State’s Attorney further alleged that thereafter Judge Quarles had declared a mistrial.”
Wow, what a shitshow.

I think Adnad had some part in her death, but don't understand how he was convicted so quickly or how the jurors found premeditation. And it is also surprising/interesting that Jay was never charged with anything (or at the least, didn't get any jailtime)

There was a comment in ep 7 that the she went back to the innocence project to check in after 4 weeks. So there's definitely some space between interviews, recordings, etc.

I feel like her that I keep going back and forth. It's definitely told in a way that you want Adnon to be innocent. But you just can't be sure.

My bottom line thought now is that whether he is innocent or not, I don't see how the jury couldn't have had a reasonable doubt that he didn't do it. Just hearing the evidence as its presented in the podcast. Of course with a competent prosecution and an incompetent defense, I guess his lawyer didn't provide enough reasonable doubt? But there are so many inconsistencies...and no physical evidence.

The one thing I've realized more than ever is how easily persuaded I am by the most recent thing I hear.

The thing that gets me is people keep saying "oh its not that odd that you don't remember where you were one afternoon a few weeks ago." People seem to be forgetting that Adnan received a phone call from the police looking for his ex-girlfriend that evening, making it not "just another day." If the police called me and asked me if I knew the whereabouts of a recent ex-gf I was still close with, that knocks it into the other category of days - ones you remember because of an off event. It also bothers me that he never called her or tried to track her down if they were still so close.

he was a pothead tho

so much of this stuff hits home hard to me, especially about the gap between school ending and track practice, driving around smoking weed, etc.

days blend together like crazy

episode 8 up.

- Adnan's attorney sounded incredibly annoying, even in those 30 second clips
- interesting that Jay told a friend (Chris?) a different story about how the murder went down, and no premeditation involved in this story. but didn't seem plausible that murder would have taken place in the middle of the day across from the school.
- found it surprising that the juror was so open about how Adnand not testifying was seen negatively. Judge's instructions were obviously disregarded

I'm still shocked they only deliberated for 2 hours.

Does anyone know Jay's last name?

I want to see photos of the crime scene. Any way to make that happen?

I just started this yesterday and I am def hooked. Bojangles, I agree with you to some extent that hearing your ex is missing should make a day stand out more at the time but I get him not really remembering now. Drugs + it sounds like he's basically resigned to being in prison.

I've also testified in court before and although it wasn't as serious as a murder case, it went to trial 2 years after my original statement was taken and I didn't really remember things that I had said previously (actually the lawyer tried to be a dick about it).

The thing that gets me is people keep saying "oh its not that odd that you don't remember where you were one afternoon a few weeks ago." People seem to be forgetting that Adnan received a phone call from the police looking for his ex-girlfriend that evening, making it not "just another day." If the police called me and asked me if I knew the whereabouts of a recent ex-gf I was still close with, that knocks it into the other category of days - ones you remember because of an off event. It also bothers me that he never called her or tried to track her down if they were still so close.

His excuse for this was that he was keeping up with other friends of hers throughout that time. Still pretty strange.

If I had to guess I would think that Jay and Adnan were in it together. Haven't listened to the episode linked today.

I think we almost beat Duke at home the night before the murder, then there was a large ice storm and there was no food on campus.

I apparently remember more than Adnan.

Just now jumping on this wagon - listening to ep. 1 right now.

His excuse for this was that he was keeping up with other friends of hers throughout that time. Still pretty strange.

If I had to guess I would think that Jay and Adnan were in it together. Haven't listened to the episode linked today.

I get that that was his excuse, I just think it is a weak excuse.

I got a legal summary with everyone's real names. If anyone wants to read it, send me a PM with your email.

Is anyone else embarrassed for the chick in the intro that messes up "mailchimp"?

Back