• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Serial (podcast)

My other theory after last episode is that Jay is in fact the brilliant sociopath psycho serial killer who was doing this to amuse himself and as some sort of social experiment; or this was a (not quite) strangers on a train, and Jay killed Hae while Adnan was supposed to kill Stephanie, but Jay either played Adnan or copped to it when the heat came down so quickly, and was able to convincingly say that he feared for Stephanie's life because that was the DEAL, Adnan was going to kill that poor girl! I bet those reporter women were THIS CLOSE to getting killed when they visited him in present day.

Arg! We just listened to ep 8 in the car and have been debating it for the past 20 min. It's just all so very odd. I guess I'm leaning towards them being in it together?

I think someone else said this, but there's no way it could be random since Jay knew where her car was parked. Right?

I found myself prior to this ep thinking maybe Jay did it all, but he seemed more sympathetic here and you start to get how there can be inconsistencies (although the pool hall thing seems weird?).

I don't know why, but I thought Jay was white until Ep. 8.

At the beginning of this ep I asked my husband what ethnicity he thought Jay was. He said he knew he was black. But for some reason I wasn't sure earlier either.

you can tell from the way he talks that he is black

At the beginning of this ep I asked my husband what ethnicity he thought Jay was. He said he knew he was black. But for some reason I wasn't sure earlier either.

One of the early episodes I thought they talked about he was the weird black dude that listened to white rock music

One of the early episodes I thought they talked about he was the weird black dude that listened to white rock music

There was definitely a comment about him listening to "white people music." Maybe they did day he was black and I missed it.

For some reason in an early ep he sounded white in his interview. *shrug*

I think Adnan did it.

Jay absolutely helped someone.

I have a weird feeling he's covering for someone else. Maybe Stephanie is involved and that's why she won't talk with anyone and remained loyal to Jay(so it seems).

The most interesting thing is that at least one of Jay/Adnan seems to be the one in a million charming psychopath

The most interesting thing is that at least one of Jay/Adnan seems to be the one in a million charming psychopath

It really seems so. Someone's not telling the truth, and whichever it is is a great liar.

We were talking about it at dinner tonight. Split between Adnon did it vs Jay is covering for someone else. Obviously Jay knowing where Hae's car was means he was involved in some respect.

There's a theory on reddit that the cops fed Jay the info on Hae's car

One thought I came away with after the episode laying out the case against Adnan is that he's upset he got convicted without much direct evidence because everyone thinks he's such a "good guy." Like he really thought he would have been able to get away with it if there was no real evidence that wasn't circumstantial because no one would ever suspect him. Then the fact he got convicted anyway upsets him. Just kinda my takeaway. I think he's guilty and either a sociopath or a great liar.

One thought I came away with after the episode laying out the case against Adnan is that he's upset he got convicted without much direct evidence because everyone thinks he's such a "good guy." Like he really thought he would have been able to get away with it if there was no real evidence that wasn't circumstantial because no one would ever suspect him. Then the fact he got convicted anyway upsets him. Just kinda my takeaway. I think he's guilty and either a sociopath or a great liar.

My feelings are similar. I think he thought he had committed the perfect crime, and he almost did but for Jay. In addition to knowing where the car was, I thought the one girl who was a friend of a friend of Jay's (who didn't know Adnan) remembering Adnan's name from the story she heard second hand from Jay's friend on the day of the murder (I think) was also pretty damning.

My feelings are similar. I think he thought he had committed the perfect crime, and he almost did but for Jay. In addition to knowing where the car was, I thought the one girl who was a friend of a friend of Jay's (who didn't know Adnan) remembering Adnan's name from the story she heard second hand from Jay's friend on the day of the murder (I think) was also pretty damning.

I took the girl remembering his name simply to be a result of there was a murder trial in their town and Adnan was convicted for the murder. Her memory is probably far more a result of the entire trial and press rather than a conversation from so many years back.

I took the girl remembering his name simply to be a result of there was a murder trial in their town and Adnan was convicted for the murder. Her memory is probably far more a result of the entire trial and press rather than a conversation from so many years back.

Just listened to it again. It was from a report referenced in the cops' notes at the time. Dave called the cops and told them his daughter Laura heard something about a dead body (an "oriental girl" according to Laura), and Laura had been told this story by Neighbor Boy. Adnan had showed Neighbor Boy Hae's body in the trunk of the car, and Neighbor Boy got spooked and told Laura later that day.

Laura didn't go to Woodlawn HS, so I don't think coverage of this particular trial months later would have influenced her memory as much as you think (though certainly possible). I mean, it's not every day a friend comes to you acting freaked out and tells you he just saw a dead body in the trunk of a car.

But then Neighbor Boy fully denied this whole story to SK, soooo :noidea:

Just listened to it again. It was from a report referenced in the cops' notes at the time. Dave called the cops and told them his daughter Laura heard something about a dead body (an "oriental girl" according to Laura), and Laura had been told this story by Neighbor Boy. Adnan had showed Neighbor Boy Hae's body in the trunk of the car, and Neighbor Boy got spooked and told Laura later that day.

Laura didn't go to Woodlawn HS, so I don't think coverage of this particular trial months later would have influenced her memory as much as you think (though certainly possible). I mean, it's not every day a friend comes to you acting freaked out and tells you he just saw a dead body in the trunk of a car.

But then Neighbor Boy fully denied this whole story to SK, soooo :noidea:

also... seems really random that Adnan would show neighbor boy the body. my guess is that neighbor boy heard the story from someone associated with jay and put himself in as the first person.

Finally caught up. I was really hoping for more details about Sara and Nancy's 20 minutes with Jay, but I understand the limitations of their discussion.

I saw Ira Glass speak here in Philly on Saturday night, and he used the last 15 minutes or so to talk about Serial. I didn't realize how enormously popular it was. It's already the biggest podcast in the world in terms of subscribers/downloaders/listeners. It took This American Life 6 years to get a million listeners, and it took Serial 3 weeks, and it adds another 100k listeners a day. Ira was talking mostly about storytelling; he was a semiotics major at Brown, studying what made a good story. He said with TAL, he wanted to break from a couple molds of broadcast journalism. First, it's not lede > topic statement > facts > topic statements > facts > topic statements > facts. It's all plot-driven. Next, he wanted to tell stories of regular, not famous people, where again, the plot drove the narrative rather than the facts or the characters. He said that Sara earned the right to do a great podcast with Serial a long time ago with the Dr. Gilmer episode of TAL, which involved over 6 months of investigative journalism where everyone on staff thought it was a dead end and was ready to write the story off, and he thinks Sara is absolutely the right person to be pursuing this podcast. It was an amazing talk, he was hilarious and engaging and it was well worth the $ and time.

Started listening to Serial because of this thread and am up to E8 which I'll start on my ride home this afternoon. Besides really enjoying it overall, I find myself going between anger and resentment of prosecutorial misconduct and disappointment in the justice system as a whole. Guess I'm just naive enough to think prosecutors should actually seek justice and not just winning.

Started listening to Serial because of this thread and am up to E8 which I'll start on my ride home this afternoon. Besides really enjoying it overall, I find myself going between anger and resentment of prosecutorial misconduct and disappointment in the justice system as a whole. Guess I'm just naive enough to think prosecutors should actually seek justice and not just winning.

This is probably a terrible idea with the 11:1 ratio of lawyers to normal people on this board, but is that true? Their job is to win cases for the state, right?

For Season 2 they are going to try their hardest to find a case where they can do what Thin Blue Line did (actually change the ruling of the case). It doesn't seem like they are headed that way here.

Back