• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Serial (podcast)

I was thinking that all of the evidence is pretty circumstantial against Adnan. Like maybe he did it, but I don't see how a jury could conclude that he did beyond a reasonable doubt. Your evidence is basically a sketchy accomplice with a plea deal, a hand print on a map in a car you've been in dozens of times and shitty inconclusive cell phone tower science.

One thought I came away with after the episode laying out the case against Adnan is that he's upset he got convicted without much direct evidence because everyone thinks he's such a "good guy." Like he really thought he would have been able to get away with it if there was no real evidence that wasn't circumstantial because no one would ever suspect him. Then the fact he got convicted anyway upsets him. Just kinda my takeaway. I think he's guilty and either a sociopath or a great liar.

I'm listening to this episode right now and have the same thoughts.
He sounds like he's explaining his way out of things, rather than the defeat of someone who's actually been wrongly convicted. Too much "you know, yeah yeah, I don't really care about this... you know. It just shouldn't matter." I'm sorry, if I was actually wrongly accused of murder, I'd be a bit more emphatic about my innocence, rather than just kind of accepting that people can see him as a murderer.

eta: and the way he kind of brushes off her calling him a nice guy.

He sounds like he's explaining his way out of things, rather than the defeat of someone who's actually been wrongly convicted. Too much "you know, yeah yeah, I don't really care about this... you know. It just shouldn't matter." I'm sorry, if I was actually wrongly accused of murder, I'd be a bit more emphatic about my innocence, rather than just kind of accepting that people can see him as a murderer.

He's been in jail a long time.

He's been in jail a long time.

yes, and I imagine that plays into it. I don't have too many conversations w/ people who have been in jail for 15 years after being wrongly accused of murder. I just imagine that if I did have a conversation with one of these such people, they'd still be hopeful for anything to help them get out rather than still accepting the fact that they're just in jail forever. Especially if they're still a relatively young man at that point. Might make more sense for a lifer at age 75 or something; not so much a 33 yr old guy.

Just listened to Ep. 9 on the way to work. The episode itself doesn't do whole lot to progress the story, but the 3 new pieces of information she gives us at the beginning of the episode are pretty crucial. crucial.

Just listened to Ep. 9 on the way to work. The episode itself doesn't do whole lot to progress the story, but the 3 new pieces of information she gives us at the beginning of the episode are pretty crucial. crucial.

Yeah. I mean basically the state's timeline is incorrect. Period. So what DID happen? And when?

Bummer about no new ep next week. Figured that would happen.

I still don't understand why the state believes she was killed by 2:36. Jay's testimony as to exact details has obviously been proven to be false, so why stick to the timeline that just doesn't seem to work?

I do (sort of) believe that Adnan played some role in her death, but I definitely don't believe what was laid out at trial.

I still don't understand why the state believes she was killed by 2:36. Jay's testimony as to exact details has obviously been proven to be false, so why stick to the timeline that just doesn't seem to work?

I do (sort of) believe that Adnan played some role in her death, but I definitely don't believe what was laid out at trial.

I think it was because they were trying to corroborate the cell records? Since Jay's testimony was all they really had, they wanted to have some way to verify what he was saying, so they tried to squeeze and stretch it to match Adnon's cell phone. Right? Otherwise it doesn't make any sense.

I think the only way I could be happy with the ending of this show is if Anand either admitted his guilt or there was actual proof he committed the murder.

I think the only way I could be happy with the ending of this show is if Anand either admitted his guilt or there was actual proof he committed the murder.[/QUOTES]

So you'd only be satisfied with Adnon did it? What if some evidence was found or a conclusive witness such that we definitively know someone else did it? (far fetched as that may be)

I think the only way I could be happy with the ending of this show is if Anand either admitted his guilt or there was actual proof he committed the murder.[/QUOTES]

So you'd only be satisfied with Adnon did it? What if some evidence was found or a conclusive witness such that we definitively know someone else did it? (far fetched as that may be)

It'd still be a shitty ending. A guy would have spent the past 15 years in jail for something he didn't do. That sucks. Someone killed her, so I simply hope it's the guy who's been sitting in jail.

He definitely did it, but I'm not sure the state's case was enough to convict beyond a reasonable doubt. He's claiming complete innocence, but Jay is certainly involved because he led the police to the car.

So IF Adnan is actually innocence, which he isn't, what motive did Jay have to kill Hae and frame Adnan?

From the trial tapes, Adnan's lawyer Gutierrez had maybe the most annoying courtroom demeanor I've ever heard. Koenig said she was successful and "sought-after," but good lord the way she asked questions and the tone she used were cringeworthy.

He definitely did it, but I'm not sure the state's case was enough to convict beyond a reasonable doubt. He's claiming complete innocence, but Jay is certainly involved because he led the police to the car.

So IF Adnan is actually innocence, which he isn't, what motive did Jay have to kill Hae and frame Adnan?
The attorney tried to claim Jay may have been cheating on the girl he was infatuated with and Hae was going to blow up their relationship.

It's actually a compelling motive if there was anything to back it up, given how he apparently worshipped the girl.

From the trial tapes, Adnan's lawyer Gutierrez had maybe the most annoying courtroom demeanor I've ever heard. Koenig said she was successful and "sought-after," but good lord the way she asked questions and the tone she used were cringeworthy.

Seriously. It's awful listening to her, is it not?

I agree with this. I think Adnan knows that justice requires him to be in jail because he murdered someone, so he's kind of at peace with that, but he's pissed because the available evidence shouldn't have put him there.

I think Jay, who is maddening, is who everyone says he is: a smart but odd, sketchy, kind of crazy stoner guy, one who doesn't have the capacity to murder but was probably captivated in some weird way by being close to one. His facts don't add up because he's just a liar.

Eta: The fact that Adnan didn't try to call or text Hae after she went missing, to me, spoke volumes. And I just didn't buy his excuse why he didn't.

Last edited:
Back