• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Serial (podcast)

Just listened to the first 8 episodes at work today. How did I not jump on this train before. Will catch up tomorrow, and read this thread. Good stuff.

iKi27gu.png

Since we basically didn't learn anything this week. And next week is the last ep. I think, as assumed above, it's going to be a pretty unsatisfactory ending.

Yeah, I am preparing myself to be very disappointed in the resolution of the series. Lots of strings out there that she apparently is not going to follow up on.

think people need to readjust their expectations if they thought a 3 month podcast about a convicted murderer would end up in a satisfactory way. Dude is in jail and the only way he will get out will take time and will be the result of the innocence project and/or his attorneys.

We just have to be comfortable that countless folks, including Adnan, are in jail on less-than-airtight evidence, and that our justice system is deeply flawed. That jurors and judges constantly make mistakes. That the police often focus on getting a conviction, rather than finding out the real story. This story just highlights all those problems.

All of this. There is no way anything comes out of this next week other than just some murky commentary on the complexity of the criminal justice system. I just can't imagine any satisfying revelation that would not have been leaked already.

Been listening for the past week and just got caught up today. I'm surprised so many people think Adnan did it. My money is totally on Jay.

Been listening for the past week and just got caught up today. I'm surprised so many people think Adnan did it. My money is totally on Jay.

I think the biggest thing for me is that he has no explanation and no alibi. Now, I know part of that has to deal with his current legal situation with appeals, so I can see why he wouldn't be so forthright. And the excuse that it was a teenager who had to think about a single day's events holds some weight, but considering it was his good friend's birthday, a big snow, and oh yeah, the day police informed him Hae went missing, it seems a little BS that he can't give anything definitive about that day. Maybe he was just too high.

And people giving him a pass because he seems like a good, charming kid isn't right to me either. He wasn't some squeaky clean kid, considering he stole from the mosque and got stoned on the reg.

The motive thing drives me crazy too. Koenig makes it seem like it's crazy to think there is a motive because Adnan didn't seem to be that heartbroken. This shit happens all the time with domestic abuse and murders, and I'd bet people usually don't see it coming.

I mean, who really knows? Jay's story seems to be constructed solely to fit the police's timeline to convict Adnan, so it's not like he's reliable. But Adnan just seems the most likely responsible party, even with major holes in the theory.

I tend to agree with the theory that they were both involved. The cops sweated them separately. Told Jay that Adnan was giving him up, so Jay broke first and got the deal. Adnan now can't say Jay did it, because then, best case for Adnan, they both go down. So he bets on reasonable doubt and loses. Now, he figures he's not likely to get out, so he may as well spare his family from the grief of a confession/Jay implication.

Just finished the final episode. I thought it was an excellent finale. I'll withhold details until later in the day when more have listened to it.

Just finished the final episode. I thought it was an excellent finale. I'll withhold details until later in the day when more have listened to it.

also thought it was great, especially the last 10 minutes, which were just superb. I think some people are almost putting the burden on Adnan to prove his innocence. Burden is on the state to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt.

State's case = motive (which I seriously doubt) + NO physical evidence + random mix of untrustworthy circumstantial evidence. It all screams "reasonable doubt" to me. Some folks are trying to answer the question of whether or not he did it, which I don't care as much about. I am thinking more about whether he should be in jail right now.

I agree that it was a much more satisfying ending than I was expecting. And from what was laid out I tend to agree with her.

#mailkimp4eva

Good finale. I'd have acquitted as well based on the evidence but I think it's likely he killed her (and Jay was probably more involved).

also thought it was great, especially the last 10 minutes, which were just superb. I think some people are almost putting the burden on Adnan to prove his innocence. Burden is on the state to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt.

State's case = motive (which I seriously doubt) + NO physical evidence + random mix of untrustworthy circumstantial evidence. It all screams "reasonable doubt" to me. Some folks are trying to answer the question of whether or not he did it, which I don't care as much about. I am thinking more about whether he should be in jail right now.

This is well said.

Back