• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Serial (podcast)

Wonder how long it will take to get the DNA results back.

one of the last lines in the show pretty much guaranteed it for me...

“I don’t think you’ll ever have 100 percent or any type of certainty about it. The only person in the world who can have that is me… and, for what it’s worth, whoever did it.”

Who would've thought that the true villain of America's favorite murder mystery would be a dead lawyer who sounded like a broken fire alarm? Pouring one out for the corpse of Christina Gutierrez. She was just minding her own business, rotting in a grave for, like, a decade or whatever, and then BOOOOOOM, all of a sudden, half the fucking country is walking around Target talking about what a shitty lawyer she was. I see you, C GUTE, RIP BRO, this was not a story about an alive lady who got murdered, it was a story about a dead lady who got murdered.

I'm actually the closest I've been to thinking Adnan is innocent. Not just "he should not have been found guilty" (which is obvious), but to the point where I don't believe he did it.

1. The best evidence against Adnan - Jay knowing where the car was - might have been fed to Jay by the police, like a lot of other facts.
2. The other evidence against Adnan - the fact that he didn't even try to contact Hae when she went missing - isn't as damning once you consider that Don, the guy who was "in love" with Hae after dating her for 13 days, didn't try to contact her either.
3. Jay is deathly afraid of Adnan (or people connected to Adnan) after the murder, but somehow still hangs out with Adnan afterwards. What.
4. Adnan's motive - Hae broke up with him, and he snapped - is pretty weak.

Well that and the fact that his cell phone pinged the tower twice at leakin Park at the exact time when jay said they were buying hae. Which by itself, could be misleading but it's another strike against Adnan.

They both did it and Adnan wants us all to figure out Jay is equally as culpable.

#Holmes'd

adnan has been admitting he had nothing to do it. If it comes out he was 1/2 responsible, without ever naming jay as the other one, he is still never getting out.

adnan has been admitting he had nothing to do it. If it comes out he was 1/2 responsible, without ever naming jay as the other one, he is still never getting out.

He has maintained his legal defenses at this point though.

Well that and the fact that his cell phone pinged the tower twice at leakin Park at the exact time when jay said they were buying hae. Which by itself, could be misleading but it's another strike against Adnan.

And the Nisha (sp?) phone call. The final episode made a pretty good argument that if this was a random butt dial, it was an absurd coincidence. Count me in as really happy with the finale, btw.

I probably could not vote to convict on the evidence, but there are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many coincidences to believe that he is actually innocent. If he had nothing to do with it, he is the unluckiest guy in the world.

Serial as a Master Class in Investigative Journalism

Serial might have been more entertaining if these seams didn’t show, if Koenig and her crew crafted the series’ arc more carefully from the beginning and didn’t guide us down various cul-de-sacs. If you care about the nitty gritty of journalism, though, a tidier Serial would have been far less illuminating. A typical in-depth reporting project is a poker game where the writer keeps his cards hidden. Serial, by contrast, is the tutorial round, the one where everyone plays with their hands face up. I can say from experience, having spent a year trying to tell the story of the original “welfare queen,” that this is what the cards look like when you flip them over. This is how investigative journalism works.

Listening to Serial, you can glean specific bits of information about, say, how to unearth court records. But mostly, it’s instructive to hear Koenig and her crew putting in the work—knocking on Jay’s door to try to secure an interview, finding blueprints of the Best Buy to determine whether there was a payphone near the parking lot. As Allison Benedikt and Hanna Rosin noted in their initial report on the failings of Rolling Stone’s story on an alleged gang rape, Koenig did everything that Sabrina Rubin Erdely did not. On Serial, she is the standard bearer for due diligence, calling everyone, weighing (and re-weighing) every fact, and remaining conscious of her own biases. This kind of thoroughness—whether it’s foregrounded this conspicuously or not—is a journalist’s core obligation, especially on a story with such high stakes. Koenig fulfills it.

I was talking to somebody tonight and she suggested Adnan and Jay were smashin' and Hae found out.

Just finished the entire series in less than 24 hours. Really riveting stuff.

1) I want to hear so much more about Jenn. She seemed so involved -- in the car when they were hiding and re-hiding and cleaning shovels, picking up Adnan after the supposed murder, hanging out with Jay and Adnan at her house afterwords (or beforehand?). Who is to say that she isn't the third call that Adnan received while at Cathy's?

2) I wonder if there wasn't a whole lot of other shit going on with Adnan and Jay. They weren't close friends, but they more or less killed/buried a mutual friend. I wonder if there wasn't something much bigger -- and much more sinister -- at work. My first instinct is drug-related, but I guess it could be information-related instead.

3) My impression is that it was Adnan. Through and through. The dude is super smart and probably a sociopath. He had a couple of tells, in my opinion, like always supplementing every statement that could be construed as suspect with a carefully crafted reversal. CLASSIC sociopathic method (if I do say so myself): e.g.

“I don’t think you’ll ever have 100 percent or any type of certainty about it. The only person in the world who can have that is me… and, for what it’s worth, whoever did it.”

4) The girlfriends thing at the beginning totally weirds me out. Adnan buys Stephanie a gift -- small, but a gift -- for her birthday, gives it to her in 1st Period/photography/whatever, and then immediately calls Jay, her boyfriend, to ask if he got her something. That is so fucking manipulative. And, if you follow one of the narratives, seems like Adnan did a lot of manipulating Jay -- even to the point of getting him to help him bury the body. Perhaps the story that Jay told Chris and Josh -- the one where Adnan drove the body to the pool hall -- is Jay's way of making him seem less weak, less manipulatable. Why wasn't Adnan throwing away the clothes and getting rid of the shovels? Jay's story never explains why he has to do all the post-burying dirty work and why he is always dropping off Adnan everywhere.

5) This is me totally over-reaching, but a person like Jay -- someone that constantly and consistently inserts little lies here and there -- is totally insecure and dependent on other, stronger or more dynamic characters for their self-worth. I can totally imagine Adnan being that person, perhaps even to the point of Adnan honestly saying that they weren't that close of friends, and Jay insisting that they were closer and better friends. Nothing makes friends like agreeing to bury a body.

*to add to this, somebody, in some interview, implied that it was probably Jay's idea to bury Hae in Leaken Park. Somebody else also said that was a place Adnan and Hae used to hook up. Just like the Best buy. It seems like much of the story seemed to take place in locations where Adnan used to take girls. I can see Adnan crafting the whole story, manipulating Jay to get his help, and then everything backfiring when Jay cracked (cracked not in police custody in interrogation, but rather in the days and weeks following the discovery of the body/case upgrade to homicide).

6) I am fascinated by Mr. S. Hilarious. I can almost totally believe that he was just doing a little break-time boozing and streaking and stumbled upon the body. Or, maybe Adnan or somebody paid him to find the body. Who the hell knows?

Ok, sorry to ramble. That's what I get for listening to it all in a single day.

Back