• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Serious Question: Why not Rusty LaRue as our next coach?

Brangus

Reaction score
Only negative is no head coaching experience, but he has an NBA background (not a glamorous one but it's there), he knows and understands Wake like nobody else and would value the job more than anybody we could bring in from outside, he's a Winston-Salem native, seems socially well adjusted and would be a good representative of the program, and he knows the current players and presumably the current recruits.

Is it the risk that if he didn't work out, firing him would be horrific? I just hate to see LaRue, in his prime at age 40, and Childress, who is also an asset, have their opportunities ruined because they worked for a terrible head coach.

Read your post. That's why not Larue.

The other negative is that he's not a good basketball cocach

Read your post. That's why not Larue.

Reading this and the tags....LaRue is not [Redacted]. I'm not sure what the above means anyway...which part of my post?

He wasn't a great HS coach, doesn't have HC experience in college and has little personality. He's much more suited to be trained to be Athletic Director than head bball coach.

For fucks sake, Larue's hands are all over this shithole of a program. Has he recruited one elite player to Wake in his term as assistant?

Wake should never, ever, ever, ever hire a coach with no D-1 head coaching experience. We are too good a job for that. I don't care who he is or what he did at Wake as a player or assistant coach

He wasn't a great HS coach, doesn't have HC experience in college and has little personality. He's much more suited to be trained to be Athletic Director than head bball coach.

I thought he was Head Coach at GSO College. A div III or NAIA school (and he didn't set the world on fire).

This is a more coherent reply. I didn't realize he had a charisma deficit...I had heard he was a likable guy. If we get a HC from another school it better be a stud hire...I fear some mid major head coach who is lost as hell in the ACC.

What chance has he had? How do you know? Anyone would look bad working for Bz.

That's the end of your argumenbt.

There's no proof he's a good D1 head coach, little proof he's a good head coach at all, and little proof he's even a good assistant. Why should we hand this guy the keys to an ACC program? The only thing he did to earn even a Wake Forest assistant coach position is graduate from Wake Forest.

This is a more coherent reply. I didn't realize he had a charisma deficit...I had heard he was a likable guy. If we get a HC from another school it better be a stud hire...I fear some mid major head coach who is lost as hell in the ACC.

The probability of Rusty being "lost as hell in the ACC" is far greater than a successful mid major head coach being "lost as hell in the ACC".

I still suspect that the negative vibe around LaRue is mostly due to [Redacted]'s failures as a coach and human being, but it looks like that is incurable...I withdraw my suggestion...but I hope Ron doesn't step on our collective dicks with the next hire. He is good with facilities, but hires...we'll see how Clawson does...he failed in the SEC...I just don't have faith in mid major farm league type HC hires. But I have no input in the process (lower tier DC member) so WGAF.

"We should just hire Rusty to be head coach!"
"We should just make Chill head coach!"
"Muggsy would be a great head coach for us!"
etc.

What is it with these people and their insane belief that popular players would be a good choice for a head coach? Please make it stop.

Only negative is no head coaching experience, but he has an NBA background (not a glamorous one but it's there), he knows and understands Wake like nobody else and would value the job more than anybody we could bring in from outside, he's a Winston-Salem native, seems socially well adjusted and would be a good representative of the program, and he knows the current players and presumably the current recruits.

Is it the risk that if he didn't work out, firing him would be horrific? I just hate to see LaRue, in his prime at age 40, and Childress, who is also an asset, have their opportunities ruined because they worked for a terrible head coach.

He has no head coaching experience other than Greensboro College and HS. That's a huge negative for a top 30 coaching position. If you are going to take that chance, then you hope it is somebody like Roy who has tutored under Dean Smith and Larry Brown. Rusty has tutored under Dino and [Redacted].

Can't tell if this is serious or trolling.

Back